This will take you to the main site where there is history, technical information and other information on these cars.
This takes you back to the main page of the forums.
This is the control panel to change your password, information and preferences on this message board.
Click here if your lost your password or need to register on this message board. You must be a registered user to post. Registration is free.
Search this board for information you need.
Click here to buy cool Squarebirds mechandise.
Click here to support Squarebirds.org. For $20 annually receive 20mBytes webspace, a Squarebirds e-mail address and member's icon on the message board.
Old 07-03-2012, 06:57 PM
Experienced

Rock&Roll Firebird is on a distinguished road

OK, thanks for explanation - that should be not hard to assemble if needed. But, was it a original car's equipment? I guess?
Old 07-03-2012, 07:06 PM
Excellent Auto Mechanic for over 40 years.

jopizz is on a distinguished road

Here's the factory hold down on my '59. The only thing non-original are the red rubber spacers. They should be black.

John
Attached Images
File Type: jpg thunderbird hold down a.jpg (120.8 KB, 46 views)
Old 07-04-2012, 02:43 AM
Experienced

OK, got it. I have two more things - since I like the rear wheel covers but they do not come with my bird, can you guys advise where to get them, and how are those called officially? Also I like the wire wheels a lot. Any idea where to get those for a reasonable price? And speaking about the wheels - why are those only 14"? They seem very small to me, was it a standard wheel/tire size in the '50s? I'd say a 15" or 16" would suit her better maybe... And there would be definitely more material on the wire wheels also. Not sure, what do you think?

PS: I need to get me the wide stripe tires - they look absolutely stunning on the car...
Attached Images
File Type: png wheel covers.png (318.1 KB, 40 views)
File Type: jpg wire wheels.jpg (436.9 KB, 41 views)
File Type: jpg 5219822_14.jpg (53.1 KB, 40 views)
File Type: jpg 5219822_7.jpg (57.2 KB, 40 views)

Last edited by Rock&Roll Firebird : 07-04-2012 at 02:56 AM.
Old 07-04-2012, 03:39 AM
Super-Experienced and a HELLOFA nice guy

YellowRose is on a distinguished road
Default Jiri Needs Your Advice

Jiri, when you say "rear wheel covers" I am assuming you are talking about fender skirts. Here is a set of used ones (metal from the looks of them) for $250.
http://www.fordrestorationandparts.c...-fender-skirts

You can sometimes find them on eBay or Craigslist. Sometimes our Tbird parts houses have them. Those that have parts cars that they can take them off of, like the Bird Nest, and the Bird House, or John Draxler of Thunderbird Ranch. You want to get the metal ones if you can find them.

However, if you are thinking of putting wire wheel rims on the car, you might not want to cover part of the rear wheels up with fender skirts. As for wire wheels, they do not come cheap, and I will let those who own them tell you if they think they are worth the expense and problems of running them on a Tbird. I have heard good and bad things about them. Good in that they look sharp. Bad in that they are difficult to keep clean, and have other problems, not to mention they cost an arm and a leg.

Let me tell you what a good friend of mine had. He had wire wheel covers that looked like wire wheel rims. When he wanted to clean them, he popped them off, and put them in the dishwasher to wash them and they came out looking great again. Don't try that with your wire wheel rims! If married, your wife might not like that!

As to why 14" rims, that is what Ford was running back then. It was a OEM item that came on all Squarebirds when they left the factory. Many have since switched them out for 15", 16" or bigger. There are advantages to doing that, especially if, down the road, you want to add disc brakes to the front. Your OEM 14" rims are not going to work with disc brakes. You will have to find a set of 5 14" vented rims (for tire rotation and a spare) off a Ford disc brake equipped car, like a Granada, or other model.

As to wide white striped tires, yes they look nice but they can be costly also. As to whose to buy, I will let the guys who own them talk about that. You also have the problem of keeping them clean.

Ray Clark - Squarebirds Administrator
'59 Tbird "The Yellow Rose Of Texas" aka "Tweety Bird"
"It's Hip To Be Square"
Thunderbird Registry #33025 VTCI #11178

rayclark07"at"att.net (Home) 210-674-5781 (Cell) 210-875-1411
http://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm

Last edited by YellowRose : 07-04-2012 at 03:50 AM.
Old 07-04-2012, 04:07 AM
Experienced

Thank you for info and for the skirts link Ray. I booked the skirts. As I can not compare, how good is the $250 price?
Old 07-04-2012, 04:19 AM
Super-Experienced and a HELLOFA nice guy

YellowRose is on a distinguished road
Default Jiri Needs Your Advice

The price is probably comparable to what it would cost you for a set from someone else, IF you could find a set. That set needs some cleaning up on them, but you would probably have to do that anyway to another set to get them painted the right color. They are not that easy to come by. After looking on eBay, I did not see any being offered for sale for the Squarebird. You will probably need the rubber seals for them, but you can get them from the Bird Nest or other Tbird parts houses. I know the pix of your Tbird did not show any fender skirts, but did you ask the seller if there were any that came with the car? Maybe in the trunk?

Ray Clark - Squarebirds Administrator
'59 Tbird "The Yellow Rose Of Texas" aka "Tweety Bird"
"It's Hip To Be Square"
Thunderbird Registry #33025 VTCI #11178

rayclark07"at"att.net (Home) 210-674-5781 (Cell) 210-875-1411
http://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm
Old 07-04-2012, 04:28 AM
Experienced

kuusamon is on a distinguished road

I bought my skirts of ebay, sometimes you find orig.ones there for arround 150,- I bought retro's fibreglass ones for 125,- they are ok.
I also bought a set of wirewheel covers/hubcaps there, they look nice and can be washed indeed in the dishwasher. One of the problems I heard with real wirewheels rims is that they are loosing air, you might not want to go tubeless then but put an inner tire in. But those wire wheel covers with Tbird emblem I found are usualy only for 14 inch rims but you can then by the more modern 14 inch rims which came from a car that was fitted with disc brakes so the covers/hubcaps will fit.
http://www.tbirdregistry.com/viewdat...tryNumber=1741
Old 07-04-2012, 04:39 AM
Experienced

Looks good! Is there a way to add the spinner caps to the wire covers? They look very good on the wheel.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg _1012958.JPG (55.8 KB, 46 views)
File Type: jpg 12009TBirdWheel.jpg (69.4 KB, 47 views)
Old 07-04-2012, 05:46 AM
Experienced

kuusamon is on a distinguished road

usually the wire covers come with spinners, all casted in one if you find the correct ones, so I believe.

do a search on ebay motors and search for: thunderbird hubcaps then add either wire or spinner.
quite a few there either in 14 inch or 15 inch.
http://www.tbirdregistry.com/viewdat...tryNumber=1741

Last edited by kuusamon : 07-04-2012 at 10:42 AM.
Old 07-04-2012, 11:56 AM
Excellent Auto Mechanic for over 40 years.

jopizz is on a distinguished road

Fender skirts were an option. If your car doesn't have the pins installed then it didn't come with skirts from the factory.

John