This will take you to the main site where there is history, technical information and other information on these cars.
This takes you back to the main page of the forums.
This is the control panel to change your password, information and preferences on this message board.
Click here if your lost your password or need to register on this message board. You must be a registered user to post. Registration is free.
Search this board for information you need.
Click here to buy cool Squarebirds mechandise.
Click here to support Squarebirds.org. For $20 annually receive 20mBytes webspace, a Squarebirds e-mail address and member's icon on the message board.
Old 06-30-2012, 09:08 AM
Experienced

Rock&Roll Firebird is on a distinguished road

Thank you guys for helping me on this, I really appreciate it! It's a very exciting time for me as I'm doing this (buying a classic car overseas) for the first time. Hopefully and with your help everything will go more/less smoothly .
Old 06-30-2012, 05:20 PM
Slow Typist

simplyconnected is on a distinguished road

While ordering parts, include an extra set of brushes for your starter motor (~US$8.00) and another set for your generator. Americans normally run these parts until they fail. Replacing these simple parts before failure will save hundreds of dollars and a lot of time down the road. - Dave

Take some more pictures of your "A" arm bushings.

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
--Lee Iacocca
Old 06-30-2012, 05:48 PM

Anders is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astrowing View Post
The AC belt is missing and does provide a redundant belt for the waterpump. If you lose the generator belt, it will overheat. I'd go ahead and order a complete set of belts so that you have them available. I found I can't walk into an auto parts store any more and get any belt I want without ordering it. Maybe you'd be lucky, but I'm not.
I donīt have my compressor belt on either, but there are still enough belts to drive the rest. At least on my 390.
http://www.tbirdregistry.com/#33158
Old 07-01-2012, 02:06 AM
Experienced

kuusamon is on a distinguished road

as I understood, the car is still in the U.S. and looking for a shipper to bring it to Europe. Parts ordered can go with the car at time of shipping? (saves on sending costs afterwards and duty.

Needed a set of lightbulbs, headlights, set of belts, set of radiator hoses, Maybe a simple gasket set for exhaust, intake manifold, valve covers, waterpump connection etc. A set of screws and bolts unc. oil filters, air filter. maybe a complete exhaust pipe system depending how good the one is on there now. maybe a spare top cloth.
Maybe a set of hydraulic hoses for the top depending how good the ones are on there now and when the old ones were replaced. if they are still the org. ones, for sure they need replacing. repair kit for the top hydr. motor (seals etc.) maybe a set of shocks, wipers blades. set of tires?? engine enamel spray org. color? maybe a alu intake manifold? Alternator and alternator conversion set maybe? ignition parts as plug wires, points, vacuum advance, maybe a complete distributor with hei, vacuum advace build in and electronic so pointless(no pun intended) distri.
a lot of parts like filters, belts, hoses through napa or rock auto, others larry or birds nest.

ordering parts afterwards also no problem, larry's and birds nest ship overseas so does mac's, I know mac's has an 'outlet' in Finland called U.S.parts. But watch for in your country what is the max amount you can ship in per shipment duty free. Here in Finland is 40 euro per shipment/parcel.
Shippers to Europe for the car are plenty on the net. Here in Finland are shippers specialized in shipping to Finland, in Germany specialized in shipping to Germany, so does Holland, etc. Not expansive.
Don't know if anybody is shipping straight to Czech but Czech is in the EU, no problem, find a shipper that otherwise ships close to your border, probably German Czech border and then driving the rest of the distance over (1 day or 2 day temp permit registration with insurance or on a trailer).
Crossing borders within EU is no problem. Shipper out of NY or Florida are plenty. Where is the car located now?

regards,
Ron
http://www.tbirdregistry.com/viewdat...tryNumber=1741
Old 07-01-2012, 02:20 AM
Experienced

kuusamon:

Thank you for the recommendations on the parts. I guess I will do the whole car check when she gets to me and the make a big spare parts order from the US afterwards. It will be slightly more expensive and will take more time but I will be sure to get exactly what I need and how much it's gonna cost.

As for the shipment, I was lucky enough to find a person in Pennsylvania (through my old contacts) who will take care of everything on the US side for a very good value, so that's a good news .
Old 07-01-2012, 02:35 AM
Experienced

kuusamon is on a distinguished road

true but many of the parts I mentioned as the lights, screws and a set of bolts, hoses and belts, filters and maybe a simple tool kit, your are going to need for sure and are maybe heavy to ship, if they can go with the car 'for free' (sending and duty costs).
regards=ron

ps. I forgot to mention set of spark plugs and a fuel filter. you know some of the parts as belts, plugs and oil filter you might find locally by a U.S.parts auto shop in Czech because so many cars shared the same of those parts. But if not, those parts are so cheap that sending costs from the U.S. are more than the total value of those parts. I do also a lot of shopping on ebay, search words: thunderbird (1958, 1959, 1960) or search words: ford fe (352, 390) .
if you can use the shipping address of your contact/friend in the U.S. put your friends shipping address in there and you can also change your registration address on ebay to that of your friend. A lot of ebay sellers do not ship overseas but in that way you opted your chances. Pay by paypal. most parts and used parts are cheap on ebay and when they do ship together with the car we say 'they don't eat any extra bread' and at some point you will need them for sure. I have good experiences at ebay, check their feedback level!

hope to have been of help.
last but not least, always good to have a spare relay from the relay tray for your top operation.
http://www.tbirdregistry.com/viewdat...tryNumber=1741

Last edited by kuusamon : 07-01-2012 at 06:02 AM.
Old 07-01-2012, 06:36 AM
Experienced

newyear is on a distinguished road
Default Jiri needs your advice

Hi
It may be worth having a spare waterpump sent with the car-It is a an expensive item to have shipped and the return postage costs more than the core value.Also you would probably have to pay customs charges if it is sent seperately.I have one that I would love to get overhauled but have not been able to find anyone in the UK so far...
Regards
Peter
Old 07-03-2012, 04:14 PM
Experienced

Hey guys, there was a battery hold down mentioned missing. What is it? Can it be bought somewhere?
Old 07-03-2012, 04:43 PM
Excellent Auto Mechanic for over 40 years.

jopizz is on a distinguished road

The original battery hold down was for a group 29 battery. That's what I have in my '59. If you have something wider it might not work. I've seen plastic ones from time to time but not the metal ones.

John
Old 07-03-2012, 05:12 PM
Super-Experienced and a HELLOFA nice guy

YellowRose is on a distinguished road
Default Jiri Needs Your Advice

Jiri, a battery hold down keeps the battery from moving around and coming out or off the plate it is sitting on. This is what is meant. You should be able to fabricate one if you had to.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg images.jpg (9.5 KB, 42 views)
File Type: jpg images2.jpg (3.1 KB, 42 views)

Ray Clark - Squarebirds Administrator
'59 Tbird "The Yellow Rose Of Texas" aka "Tweety Bird"
"It's Hip To Be Square"
Thunderbird Registry #33025 VTCI #11178

rayclark07"at"att.net (Home) 210-674-5781 (Cell) 210-875-1411
http://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm