This will take you to the main site where there is history, technical information and other information on these cars.
This takes you back to the main page of the forums.
This is the control panel to change your password, information and preferences on this message board.
Click here if your lost your password or need to register on this message board. You must be a registered user to post. Registration is free.
Search this board for information you need.
Click here to buy cool Squarebirds mechandise.
Click here to support Squarebirds.org. For $20 annually receive 20mBytes webspace, a Squarebirds e-mail address and member's icon on the message board.
Old 06-10-2012, 03:57 AM
Apprentice

Mickfly70 is on a distinguished road

Well the key was stuck in the "on" position. i.e. the first turn clockwise. It would turn to the further to the right (clockwise). It would not go to the vertical and pull out.

I started it up but the starter would engage when I past through Park and Neutral. I got it into the driveway and worked on it for the last 2 hours.

I had to break the key off to get the bezel off to free up the ignition to switch it over to the spare universal ignition I had.

Good news is I have got it back to how it works before but the bad news is it still requires a black push button to start it (as per before)

Must say the technical library is invaluable. Thanks Ray.

I still need to look a bit harder at the wiring diagrams because some of my wiring just doest "add up" Although is was after midnight when I finally quit.
Old 06-10-2012, 04:57 AM
Slow Typist

simplyconnected is on a distinguished road

I'm glad to hear you got things working again. Did you take pictures of how the old switch was wired? Did it match the switch in the TRL? What is a 'universal' switch and what kind of connectors does it use?

From your description, the neutral switch works but it needs to be wired correctly. Correct the wiring on your starter solenoid and trash that start button because it's unsafe and unfused.

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
--Lee Iacocca
Old 06-10-2012, 05:16 AM
Experienced

newyear is on a distinguished road
Default Starter Relay

I have enclosed some more pictures of my relay and a picture of the relay that was fitted when I first got my Squarebird
The thickest red cable on the l/h terminal(looking from above) is connected to the starter and this is the only cable on this terminal
The thin brown cable is connected to the I terminal on the relay and appears to run through to the ignition switch
The thin blue and brown cable is connected to the S terminal on the relay
The thick black cable attached to r/h terminal on the relay connects to the positive terminal on the battery
The r/h terminal on the relay has a thick yellow wire attached which travels through the bulkhead(passenger side)
This r/h terminal also a thick red wire which connects to the generator and a thick red wire which appears to connect to a junction along with the blue and brown cable from the S terminal on the starter relay
I hope this helps
Regards
Peter
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Relay1.jpg (140.0 KB, 59 views)
File Type: jpg Relay2.jpg (81.8 KB, 58 views)
File Type: jpg Relay3.jpg (294.2 KB, 59 views)
File Type: jpg Relay4.jpg (279.3 KB, 59 views)
Old 06-10-2012, 07:22 AM
Experienced

newyear is on a distinguished road
Default Starter Relay

This schematic is from Group 7-18 of the 1958 Ford Thunderbird shop manual
Regards
Peter
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Diagram.jpg (291.1 KB, 85 views)
Old 06-10-2012, 01:43 PM
Apprentice

Here are some photos from last night. This is the old ignition. Thanks god for iPhones with good cameras as they take good photos for reassembly!

1st Photo: ACC.
There was a small black wire that I think goes to the Radio.
Newer Black/Blue with fuse goes to A/C
Not sure where the bottom 3 go but one is GEN light cause that works. Fuel indicator works.

2nd Photo: IGN.
There was a Pink wire I had to remove to get it out. This was on top of Black/green. This seems correct.

3rd Photo: BAT.
This Yellow/Green. Have found end yet.

4th Photo: S.
Red goes to safety switch on coloum then goes Red/blue to starter relay switch. This one is the one I'm going to check now to continuity.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Image 1.jpg (385.0 KB, 79 views)
File Type: jpg Image 2.jpg (415.4 KB, 79 views)
File Type: jpg Image 3.jpg (375.1 KB, 77 views)
File Type: jpg Image 4.jpg (316.0 KB, 79 views)
Old 06-10-2012, 05:46 PM
Slow Typist

simplyconnected is on a distinguished road

I have never seen a key switch in such bad condition. The plastic is separated and coming out of the housing. No wonder the key wouldn't turn. I am sure you can get your key back if you straighten the switch out (in a vise) and extract the tumbler using the button.

All of your wires are covered in the schematics, as newyear posted.

BTW, your yellow (batt) wire comes from the headlight switch. - Dave

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
--Lee Iacocca
Old 06-10-2012, 06:25 PM
Apprentice

You got that right Dave. It fell apart as I twisted it just then. (1st photo)

The 2nd photo is the new universal key switch. Im not sure it will fit into the dash. Not to matter as I intend to rebuild original once I get new tumbler or just buy a new Macs Auto one? not sure yet.

Better news is that I bypassed the neutral safety switch (3rd photo) and the car started with a key. This is the first time is has started with a key and not a button for probably 12-15 yrs. This is exciting for me because now I have isolated the problem just like Ray said. Now I have to adjust it somehow?

Thanks Ray, Dave and Peter for your quick response and input.

Ps I'm allowed to put this on my kitchen table with the wife present because I built it from reclaimed timber from a seaplane ramp. Those small roundish indents are from the winter tires spikes of the aircraft dolly. As you can see its not as nice as Marcelo's dining table.

PSS. Just adjusted the safety switch and now it starts in Park (with no button). Got the advice from a previous post. I love this site.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Image 7.jpg (490.4 KB, 74 views)
File Type: jpg Image 5.jpg (306.5 KB, 77 views)
File Type: jpg Image 6.jpg (611.3 KB, 76 views)

Last edited by Mickfly70 : 06-10-2012 at 08:54 PM.
Old 06-11-2012, 02:29 AM
Apprentice

Unhappy

Question: Once I started the tbird (accidentally with the shift stick due to wiring?) to move it onto the driveway I had to stop the engine with the stuck key.

How do you think I did it?

I'll tell you tomorrow and the aftermath the followed! Don't worry. I didn't run into anything this time. But something I'd never had thought of happened.
Old 06-11-2012, 10:48 AM
Excellent Auto Mechanic for over 40 years.

jopizz is on a distinguished road

NAPA sells a new ignition switch with the cylinder and original style key for about $20. Echlin Part #ECH KS6457. It's not worth fooling around with your original one for that price. I just picked one up recently. If you wind up getting one make sure you check the terminals. I believe they were one off from the original switch and I hooked the wires up using the original switch instead of looking at how they were marked.

John
Old 06-11-2012, 12:47 PM
Experienced

lawyercalif is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickfly70 View Post
Question: Once I started the tbird (accidentally with the shift stick due to wiring?) to move it onto the driveway I had to stop the engine with the stuck key.

How do you think I did it?

I'll tell you tomorrow and the aftermath the followed! Don't worry. I didn't run into anything this time. But something I'd never had thought of happened.
I would put it in park, set the emergency brake, pop the hood, get out and pull the coil wire.