This will take you to the main site where there is history, technical information and other information on these cars.
This takes you back to the main page of the forums.
This is the control panel to change your password, information and preferences on this message board.
Click here if your lost your password or need to register on this message board. You must be a registered user to post. Registration is free.
Search this board for information you need.
Click here to buy cool Squarebirds mechandise.
Click here to support Squarebirds.org. For $20 annually receive 20mBytes webspace, a Squarebirds e-mail address and member's icon on the message board.
Old 06-05-2012, 04:27 PM
Super-Experienced

RustyNCa is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYsquarebird58 View Post
Yup, U-haulís website has drop down menus where you select what kind of vehicle you are towing, and what youíre using to tow it with. It says that they offer no solutions for towing a 1960 Thunderbird. My í03 Suburban should have no problem towing the T-bird. Iíve towed backhoes, boats and other types of construction equipment with it, with no problems. I guess U-haul is just erring on the side of caution.
Yeah, I wasn't very happy with them. I needed to get the car home from Klamath Falls to Redding. I had bought it and the guy assured me over and over, that yep, car was good to go. Well, it made it about 1 mile down the road when it started sputtering and not wanting to run.... I had caught a ride up with my dad who was headed north through K Falls. I ended up borrowing a 26 FT enclosed trailer from a friend of a friend. So I actually came out ahead thankfully. Cost to me, I replaced the taillights on the trailer that were broken when I picked it up as a token thank you.

But we were not at all happy with UHual, but I have to admit the Squarebirds are a big car.

See the heavy rope tied to our Jeep when we lowered the 59 with no brakes off the trailer, it did the trick pretty good.

And if the car won't clear the trailer when you load or unload it..... well, here was our not so elegant trick to get it on..... But the 58 is way lower than a factory car.... we didn't have that issue with the 59.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCF3035.jpg (145.0 KB, 54 views)

Last edited by YellowRose : 06-05-2012 at 07:12 PM. Reason: Resized Picture
Old 06-05-2012, 09:38 PM
Super-Experienced

Dakota Boy is on a distinguished road

The last time I towed a vehicle like this, (a 1991 Chevy S-10 with an auto trans.), I unhooked the driveshaft at the punkin'.

That was 1992, and it was what everyone said I should do back then.

The trip was about 180 miles.
Old 06-06-2012, 11:02 AM
Experienced

NYsquarebird58 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by KULTULZ View Post
The FORD-O-MATIC and CRUISEOMATIC trans had rear pumps which will allow it to be flat towed without the drive shaft being removed. There are speed/distance restrictions. They should be in the Owners Manual.

By the time you get the trailer(s), load, cuss and groan, the roll-off will have it there with no damage (in my opinion).
I may end up taking your and Ray’s advice on getting her towed. I’d just hate to spend $150 each way.
Here’s the background story and the reason why I’m needing to transport the T-Bird this weekend:

My girlfriend Monika works for an organization called Maryknoll Fathers and Brothers. They’re a Catholic mission that does mission work all over the world. From time to time, they hold events to raise money for various charities and their organization. This year they decided to do a classic car show.

Monika, who volunteered to be part of the planning committee, mentioned to me that it would be nice if I still had that Firebird I had when we first started dating.

Well, that got me motivated to start looking for cheap project car to get running in time so that we could take it to the show.

I got searching on craigslist (with no particular type of car in mind) and came across a ’58 Thunderbird. Long story short, I bought her a few days later and joined squarebirds. When I finally was able to find time to get underneath her and get working, I realized that the amount of rot was so bad that even if I got her running, she would not be structurally safe to drive. I ended up selling her and was lucky enough to find my black ‘60 right under my nose just on the other side of town.

At this point I had three months to get her roadworthy. I put in allot of time under coting, replacing the entire fuel system and working on the disc brake conversion. I also volunteered to help promote the car show. I went around town hanging posters, passing out flyers and promoting the event online.

Unfortunately, one day while working on the T-Bird, I got hurt. I cut the tendon and broke a piece of the bone on my left ring finger which required surgery and months of recuperation. So I resigned myself to having to leave the T-Bird on Jack stands with the disc brake conversion half complete until I was well enough to finish it.

Again, for a second time, it seemed that we would not be bringing a T-Bird to the car show… Well, about two weeks ago, I decided…she’s going to the show even if I’ve got to push her!

I had a friend come by over the weekend and help me with getting the new wheels and tires bolted on, and getting the car back on the ground. This Saturday I’m gonna shine her up and get her ready for the show on Sunday.

I’m going to call some towing companies and see what’s the best deal they can give me for same day round trip service. It may be too iffy loading and unloading the Bird myself only relying on the emergency brake. I’ll leave it to the pros.
Old 06-06-2012, 12:05 PM
Experienced

lawyercalif is on a distinguished road

After all you have gone through and the money you have spent getting this car ready for this show, spend the $300.00 and get it there safely. You have done an amazing job in a short time now go show it off.
Old 06-06-2012, 12:36 PM
Experienced

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawyercalif View Post
After all you have gone through and the money you have spent getting this car ready for this show, spend the $300.00 and get it there safely. You have done an amazing job in a short time now go show it off.
Thanks, Daniel. Youíre right. The cost of the tow both ways is well worth the piece of mind knowing that itíll get there safe. Every car that shows up to this show will help the cause. If there is a poor turnout this year, there wonít be another one next year. Hopefully this one will be a great success.
Old 06-06-2012, 01:04 PM
KULTULZ

Cool

OK... I am completely confused...

The first post said a few miles with a tow dolly (which will be fine for a short move if it is cheaper than a roll-off).

Now you say 300 miles. If going that far you will want a car trailer for economy reasons. If the car doesn't run, rent a COME-A-LONG to pull the car on and off the trailer.

You DO NOT want to disappoint your better half under any circumstances...
Old 06-06-2012, 01:43 PM
Experienced

Jimz Bird is on a distinguished road

Quote:
TRUE DAT!

You get to stack stuff on the dining room table.
She put up with all the time you put in.
She took you to the hospital.
She PICKED UP YOUR TOOLS.

AND She is a cutie

CLICK HERE for Jimz web site
Old 06-06-2012, 01:50 PM
Super-Experienced

Joe Johnston is on a distinguished road

Lest we forget:

"happy wife = happy life!"

(for some reason I usually get something thrown at me when I say that in front of mine!)
Old 06-06-2012, 02:04 PM
Apprentice

cdhowell is on a distinguished road

If its just a few miles a tow truck should not cost much more than renting a dolly.
Old 06-06-2012, 02:16 PM
Experienced

Quote:
OK... I am completely confused...

The first post said a few miles with a tow dolly (which will be fine for a short move if it is cheaper than a roll-off).

Now you say 300 miles. If going that far you will want a car trailer for economy reasons. If the car doesn't run, rent a COME-A-LONG to pull the car on and off the trailer.

It is a couple of miles down the road; 300 as in a possible $150 x 2 to have it towed round trip.

Come-along… that’s a thought. I never used one before. How do they work? Can I control the speed that the cable releases when I’m lowering the car off the trailer?

I definitely can’t disappoint the little lady. She’s been immensely patient and has had her dining room overrun with car parts and a pile of empty boxes that reaches up to the ceiling for months now.

(Which reminds me, I HAVE to break down all those boxes and have them out to the curb tonight for recycling)