This will take you to the main site where there is history, technical information and other information on these cars.
This takes you back to the main page of the forums.
This is the control panel to change your password, information and preferences on this message board.
Click here if your lost your password or need to register on this message board. You must be a registered user to post. Registration is free.
Search this board for information you need.
Click here to buy cool Squarebirds mechandise.
Click here to support Squarebirds.org. For $20 annually receive 20mBytes webspace, a Squarebirds e-mail address and member's icon on the message board.
Old 06-04-2012, 04:04 PM
Experienced

NYsquarebird58 is on a distinguished road
Default Any concern with transporting my 60 with a tow dolly?

I need to transport my 60 a few miles down the road. She currently has no brakes, so I was planning on renting a tow dolly. I was planning on driving her on to the tow dolly and using the emergency brake to keep her from rolling back.

Considering how low these squarebirds are, would I have any clearance issues with the tow dolly?
Old 06-04-2012, 04:12 PM
KULTULZ

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYsquarebird58 View Post

I need to transport my 60 a few miles down the road. She currently has no brakes, so I was planning on renting a tow dolly. I was planning on driving her on to the tow dolly and using the emergency brake to keep her from rolling back.

Considering how low these squarebirds are, would I have any clearance issues with the tow dolly?
You mean one of those U-HAUL suicide trailers that either the steer or drive tires ride on? They are dangerous. The parking brake will not hold the rear axle on, you will still need to strap belt the wheels.

I would also be concerned with front end drag.

How much for a roll-off?
Old 06-04-2012, 04:34 PM
Experienced

To clarify, I mean to use the parking brake only to help maneuver the car on and off the trailer. Since I dont have brakes, the parking brake will hold the car for me when I let off the throttle. The front wheels will be ratchet strapped on the dolly and the rear wheels will role with the transmission in neutral.

My only experience with towing with a U-haul tow dolly is when I towed an 87 Chrysler Lebaron. It was pretty straight forward and I had no issues, but the Squarebird is lower, longer, wider and heaver.

I can also rent a car trailer from U-haul for not much more money, but Ive seen posts on here where people have had issues with their floors bottoming out on the trailer when loading.
Old 06-04-2012, 05:34 PM
Experienced

lawyercalif is on a distinguished road

I don't know if towing in neutral will hurt the transmission or not. However when I paid to have a 59 TBird Coupe transported a couple of hundred mies, they removed the driveshaft.
Old 06-04-2012, 06:35 PM
Super-Experienced

RustyNCa is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawyercalif View Post
I don't know if towing in neutral will hurt the transmission or not. However when I paid to have a 59 TBird Coupe transported a couple of hundred mies, they removed the driveshaft.
I have always understood for most cars with autos that towing an auto was a bad idea. But I have also read that as long as you, with the car running shift the car from park to drive, then from drive to neutral it should be okay on a short haul. The other thing was that shifting the car, running from reverse to neutral would cause serious damage to the trans.

I have used the uhaul trailers, they are nice trailers but they do have a raised section along the rails that a lowered car may not clear, but I doubt a stock height squarebird would have any problems.

Personally, if it doesn't cost much more for the trailer, I would try that route first.

Last time I tried to rent a trailer to tow a 64 TBird, they wouldn't let me, they told me the car and trailer were to much for the truck I had.... The 99 Dodge Diesel with the performance towing package, really?

Or the car was to heavy for the trailer. Either way, their computer told me I couldn't do it.
Old 06-04-2012, 07:16 PM
Apprentice

Deblib is on a distinguished road
Default Towing

We hauled our 60 bird from SD to Colorado on a flat Uhaul open trailer. We used winch to load it. It's heavy. 4,000 lbs. for car and 2,000 for trailer. Our Dodge truck had no issues pulling it. Our only problem was lowering it off the trailer into the garage. Luckily I got it stopped.

We had it moved by a towing company across town on a flat bed tow truck to the shop after we fixed the brakes. They did have to be careful not to hit the rear bumper as they winched it up but they are higher. If you are not going that far its worth the money to have the professionals do it. I know only certain cars will work on those dolly type trailers.
Debbie #38435
Old 06-04-2012, 07:58 PM
Super-Experienced and a HELLOFA nice guy

YellowRose is on a distinguished road
Default Any concern with transporting my 60 with a tow dolly?

I have had to move Rose several times and each time I used a flatbed wrecker. You do need to make sure the driver knows that he needs to have the angle of the flatbed set properly so that when he wenches it onto the flatbed the bumper, gas tank, floor pans, etc., do not scrape. I was there each time it was moved to supervise the loading and unloading of it. I would go the flatbed wrecker option if it were me.

Ray Clark - Squarebirds Administrator
'59 Tbird "The Yellow Rose Of Texas" aka "Tweety Bird"
"It's Hip To Be Square"
Thunderbird Registry #33025 VTCI #11178

rayclark07"at"att.net (Home) 210-674-5781 (Cell) 210-875-1411
http://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm
Old 06-04-2012, 09:37 PM
KULTULZ

The FORD-O-MATIC and CRUISEOMATIC trans had rear pumps which will allow it to be flat towed without the drive shaft being removed. There are speed/distance restrictions. They should be in the Owners Manual.

By the time you get the trailer(s), load, cuss and groan, the roll-off will have it there with no damage (in my opinion).
Old 06-05-2012, 02:57 PM
Experienced

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deblib View Post
We hauled our 60 bird from SD to Colorado on a flat Uhaul open trailer. We used winch to load it. It's heavy. 4,000 lbs. for car and 2,000 for trailer. Our Dodge truck had no issues pulling it. Our only problem was lowering it off the trailer into the garage. Luckily I got it stopped.

We had it moved by a towing company across town on a flat bed tow truck to the shop after we fixed the brakes. They did have to be careful not to hit the rear bumper as they winched it up but they are higher. If you are not going that far its worth the money to have the professionals do it. I know only certain cars will work on those dolly type trailers.
Hi Deb, How did your 60 fit on the trailer? From what Ive seen the U-haul trailers look rather short. Id like to use a winch, did you rent that from U-haul also?
Old 06-05-2012, 03:05 PM
Experienced

Quote:
Originally Posted by RustyNCa View Post
I have always understood for most cars with autos that towing an auto was a bad idea. But I have also read that as long as you, with the car running shift the car from park to drive, then from drive to neutral it should be okay on a short haul. The other thing was that shifting the car, running from reverse to neutral would cause serious damage to the trans.

I have used the uhaul trailers, they are nice trailers but they do have a raised section along the rails that a lowered car may not clear, but I doubt a stock height squarebird would have any problems.

Personally, if it doesn't cost much more for the trailer, I would try that route first.

Last time I tried to rent a trailer to tow a 64 TBird, they wouldn't let me, they told me the car and trailer were to much for the truck I had.... The 99 Dodge Diesel with the performance towing package, really?

Or the car was to heavy for the trailer. Either way, their computer told me I couldn't do it.
Yup, U-hauls website has drop down menus where you select what kind of vehicle you are towing, and what youre using to tow it with. It says that they offer no solutions for towing a 1960 Thunderbird. My 03 Suburban should have no problem towing the T-bird. Ive towed backhoes, boats and other types of construction equipment with it, with no problems. I guess U-haul is just erring on the side of caution.