This will take you to the main site where there is history, technical information and other information on these cars.
This takes you back to the main page of the forums.
This is the control panel to change your password, information and preferences on this message board.
Click here if your lost your password or need to register on this message board. You must be a registered user to post. Registration is free.
Search this board for information you need.
Click here to buy cool Squarebirds mechandise.
Click here to support Squarebirds.org. For $20 annually receive 20mBytes webspace, a Squarebirds e-mail address and member's icon on the message board.
Old 06-04-2012, 10:04 PM
Excellent Auto Mechanic for over 40 years.

jopizz is on a distinguished road

The lifters are hydraulic so there's no adjustment your mechanic can make. All he can do is check the wear on the rocker arms and push rods and look for stuck lifters.
Old 06-04-2012, 11:06 PM
KULTULZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by jopizz View Post

The lifters are hydraulic so there's no adjustment your mechanic can make. All he can do is check the wear on the rocker arms and push rods and look for stuck lifters.
Tappet adjustment is performed on a hydraulic FE (and MEL) by using under and over sized pushrods. These engines are also famous for bending pushrods and valve train parts being galled by lack of lubrication (dirt in oil blocking supply passages).
Old 06-05-2012, 04:41 AM
Super-Experienced

scumdog is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by KULTULZ View Post
20W-50 engine oil is way too heavy except for certain European applications.

10W-30 or 10W-40 for summer usage. The use of a quality oil requires no additives other than ZDDP.
Off topic I know but 20W-50 is all I ever use in evrything I drive including the Thunderbird, have done so pretty much forever.

No issues with it that I've noticed.
Old 06-05-2012, 07:12 AM
KULTULZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by scumdog View Post

Off topic I know but 20W-50 is all I ever use in evrything I drive including the Thunderbird, have done so pretty much forever.

No issues with it that I've noticed.
I am sorry. You guys are on the European standard (lubricating oil types). But the BIRD is not.

I need to observe the poster's domicile more closely.
Old 06-05-2012, 07:18 AM
KULTULZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anders View Post

We canīt get ZDDP in Europe
This is off topic but something just dawned on me.

With all of the American car enthusiasts in Europe, maybe you guys should try and form some type of club whereas you can import and sell certain items to others over the net.

The webmaster @ MEL ENGINE FORUM is domiciled in Germany. He had a few solutions but if enough of you came together maybe you could overcome your import restrictions.

Now watch. Some smart guy will take this and run and become a millionaire and I sit here dead broke...
Old 06-05-2012, 12:50 PM
Super-Experienced and Proud Kentuckian who bleeds Ford Blue.

Richard D. Hord is on a distinguished road

Hey Guys,
No one ever mentioned timing I'm just wondering if she jumped time?
Richard D. Hord

P.S. Posted from Washington State! Will be on ship headed to Alaska shortly
Registry #33436
Old 06-05-2012, 12:59 PM
KULTULZ

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard D. Hord View Post

No one ever mentioned timing I'm just wondering if she jumped time?
Or possibly a tank of bad fuel?
Old 06-09-2012, 10:19 AM
Experienced

yellow98cobra is on a distinguished road
Default problem found

Bent push rod, as bent as this rod is, I can not believe that it was there when I bought the car. I dont think there is any oil thick enough to hide the noise. The noise showed up after I changed the oil, maybe it was allready bending and the few moments it took for the oil to get up there was all that it needed to go completly bad. If anyone knows if there is an oil that would hide this let me know. Thanks, Eric
Old 06-09-2012, 11:44 AM
KULTULZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellow98cobra View Post

Bent push rod, as bent as this rod is, I can not believe that it was there when I bought the car. I dont think there is any oil thick enough to hide the noise. The noise showed up after I changed the oil, maybe it was allready bending and the few moments it took for the oil to get up there was all that it needed to go completly bad.

If anyone knows if there is an oil that would hide this let me know.

Thanks, Eric
This is a common failure on FE and MEL engines. The bent pushrod(s) need to be replaced. Note there are differing lengths released for service, STD., .030 US and .030 OS (for tappet adjustment).

Engine oil is designed to lubricate, cleanse and cool, not hide defective engine noise(s).

- http://www.ford-trucks.com/article/i...le_Secret.html
Old 06-09-2012, 03:24 PM
Experienced

yellow98cobra is on a distinguished road

I wasnt looking to hide the noise.
I was wondering if the guy I got from had done something to it. I would not have bought if was makeing the noise it is now. I have it in the shop, Im going to replace the lifters while it is apart.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KULTULZ View Post
This is a common failure on FE and MEL engines. The bent pushrod(s) need to be replaced. Note there are differing lengths released for service, STD., .030 US and .030 OS (for tappet adjustment).

Engine oil is designed to lubricate, cleanse and cool, not hide defective engine noise(s).

- http://www.ford-trucks.com/article/i...le_Secret.html