This will take you to the main site where there is history, technical information and other information on these cars.
This takes you back to the main page of the forums.
This is the control panel to change your password, information and preferences on this message board.
Click here if your lost your password or need to register on this message board. You must be a registered user to post. Registration is free.
Search this board for information you need.
Click here to buy cool Squarebirds mechandise.
Click here to support Squarebirds.org. For $20 annually receive 20mBytes webspace, a Squarebirds e-mail address and member's icon on the message board.
Old 06-02-2012, 02:12 PM
Experienced

yellow98cobra is on a distinguished road
Default Motor is making Noise

The motor was quiet when I drove it home over 100 miles, I set in stop & go traffic for an hour no problems. Yesterday I changed the oil. Now it is noisy sounds like valve clatter (I hope and not a Rod Knock). Any idea what the seller may have put in there that made her run quiet?

I went with 10w 30 but have now switched it to 20w 50 on the advice of my mechanic, still noisy.

Thanks, Eric
Old 06-02-2012, 03:25 PM
Excellent Auto Mechanic for over 40 years.

jopizz is on a distinguished road

I always put STP in when I change the oil but that doesn't explain the tapping you're getting. I'm hoping it's lifter related but it still doesn't make sense. Was the oil you took out clean. Can you tell how thick it is. It's possible someone used straight 30 wt. Believe it or not I've seen cars run quiet on oil that was older than the hills and sound like a sewing machine when it's changed.

John

Last edited by jopizz : 06-02-2012 at 04:05 PM.
Old 06-02-2012, 04:05 PM
Experienced

Thanks for the responce. The oil was black it did not feel thick I ran my fingers through it on my drain pan to see there was anything in it did not find anything. One more thing for the shop to look at on Monday.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jopizz View Post
I always put a qt. of STP in when I change the oil but that doesn't explain the tapping you're getting. I'm hoping it's lifter related but it still doesn't make sense. Was the oil you took out clean. Can you tell how thick it is. It's possible someone used straight 30 wt. Believe it or not I've seen cars run quiet on oil that was older than the hills and sound like a sewing machine when it's changed.

John
Old 06-02-2012, 09:33 PM
John

JohnG is on a distinguished road

do you have an oil pressure gauge on it?

You might track down the noise with a mechanic's stethoscope. Lacking that, a really long screwdriver does pretty well.

Does the noise get worse as the car heats up?
Old 06-03-2012, 02:38 AM

Anders is on a distinguished road

I also have a slight tapping that I hear during idle, but my "Ford-friends-experts" tells me itīs normal.
http://www.tbirdregistry.com/#33158
Old 06-03-2012, 12:24 PM
KULTULZ

Sounds like tappet noise, usually caused by low oil pressure or a poor oil supply (constriction/dirt in system or aerated oil).

As mentioned, a quality mechanical oil pressure gauge to verify proper oil pressure at cold start and after driving for full engine warm-up.

20W-50 engine oil is way too heavy except for certain European applications.

10W-30 or 10W-40 for summer usage. The use of a quality oil requires no additives other than ZDDP.
Old 06-03-2012, 04:12 PM

Anders is on a distinguished road

We canīt get ZDDP in Europe
http://www.tbirdregistry.com/#33158
Old 06-04-2012, 01:39 PM
John

JohnG is on a distinguished road

Can you tell us some more about your motor? How many miles on it since rebuild (if ever done).

Have you ever had the oil pan off and checked the pickup screen?

I would make another vote for an oil pressure gauge. You get to see what is going on under all conditions. Without it you are groping around in the dark. More information usually better than less.
Old 06-04-2012, 03:12 PM
Tinkerer

c4clewis is on a distinguished road

Did you switch to synthetic oil? Change the brand of oil filter? A px change could be the culprit.

Does the noise happen at idle only, did you change the idle speed? FE's have notoriously low oil px at idle.

I too have the noise, so these are just suggestions on why yours started. I too have been told that it's normal on these FE's.
Old 06-04-2012, 08:27 PM
Experienced

No it does at all times. I first put 10w 30 in it then I changed it to 20w 50. I just called the shop and was told that the noise is coming from the valve train. But he needed to pull the valve covers to see if he could adjust them or if it was maybe something else. I had him go over the whole car and the only thing he has found so far, that I didnt allready know, is there is a power steering fluid leak at the hose fittings. Cost of repair to come.

Quote:
Originally Posted by c4clewis View Post
Did you switch to synthetic oil? Change the brand of oil filter? A px change could be the culprit.

Does the noise happen at idle only, did you change the idle speed? FE's have notoriously low oil px at idle.

I too have the noise, so these are just suggestions on why yours started. I too have been told that it's normal on these FE's.