This will take you to the main site where there is history, technical information and other information on these cars.
This takes you back to the main page of the forums.
This is the control panel to change your password, information and preferences on this message board.
Click here if your lost your password or need to register on this message board. You must be a registered user to post. Registration is free.
Search this board for information you need.
Click here to buy cool Squarebirds mechandise.
Click here to support Squarebirds.org. For $20 annually receive 20mBytes webspace, a Squarebirds e-mail address and member's icon on the message board.
Old 06-01-2012, 10:01 PM
Super-Experienced

dgs is on a distinguished road

I wonder how old the top is. My top is rather old and has shrunk considerably. When I put it up (and I only do so in the winter ), the tension has pulled the tack strips loose and I can nearly crawl in and out through the opening. I've got a new top ready, just have to get the courage to tackle installing it.

If this top is old, it may have shrunk so that it will no longer stay put. Of course, if it had been tacked as designed rather than snapped, maybe that'd do it.
Old 06-02-2012, 12:11 PM
Super-Experienced

partsetal is on a distinguished road

The Squarebird top is unique in the way it fastens. There are three points where it is permanently attached at installation: Under the Stainless header moulding to a tacking strip that runs full width and is recessed in a channel; At the Number 4 bow, where the tacking strip is installed inside the channel. (This bow moves as the top operates); At the rear package tray where there is one large channel for the center piece and two short pieces for the sides.

From the factory these tacking strips were twisted paper rope affair treated with something to preserve it. Over the years these took on moisture, rotted and usually rotted the channel they were mounted in.

The first two tacking strips usually pose no problem, but the rear, because of it's curves and dip in the center pose a different challenge. When these are rotted/rusted, some top installers try various things to replace this tack strip. I've seen them cut from 1/8" plywood and done in several pieces to account for the curves, and now I'm seeing the use of snaps to achieve the same purpose. This rear tack strip needs a firm foundation and firm fastening. Perhaps there is a workable solution, but I know of none at present that is dependable.

Here is a photo of this area on a 59. You can see the rusted nails have pulled out of this rope material. You can also see the condition of the channel which is bad, but I think still useable after removal and inspection.
Carl
Attached Images
File Type: jpg MVC-017S.JPG (39.4 KB, 40 views)
Old 06-02-2012, 12:22 PM
Experienced

lawyercalif is on a distinguished road

You can buy new plastic tack strip material at Larry's T Bird.
Old 06-02-2012, 03:07 PM
Super-Experienced

dgs is on a distinguished road

I bought my top from John at the T'bird Ranch and he sold me some hard rubber / plastic tack strip as well.
Old 06-02-2012, 03:12 PM
Excellent Auto Mechanic for over 40 years.

jopizz is on a distinguished road

I've used body side molding in the past that I slid into the channel and it worked really well. The key is to use tacks that are long enough so the ends bend back when they bottom out.

John
Old 06-02-2012, 04:10 PM
Super-Experienced

partsetal is on a distinguished road

There is no shortage of tack strip material, only the channel in which to mount it.
Carl
Old 06-02-2012, 04:29 PM
Super-Experienced and a HELLOFA nice guy

YellowRose is on a distinguished road
Default 1960 convertible snaps coming undone

I have been looking through the 2011 Larry's Tbird Catalog for Soft Tops and did not find those plastic tack strips. I might have overlooked them. Do you have a Part # for them from the catalog? I think the OEM Part # must be 40310 as seen on Page 88 of the 58/60 Rear Window view. Here is a listing of soft top parts available from Larry's. http://www.larrystbird.com/scan/co=y...=results2.html Maybe it is in this list?

Jim, you might also try and get in contact with John Draxler of Thunderbird Ranch for these tack strips. Here is his email address and phone number. jdrax@tds.net 715-884-6546. If it turns out that you need new channels, he might have them also. Good luck with this.

Ray Clark - Squarebirds Administrator
'59 Tbird "The Yellow Rose Of Texas" aka "Tweety Bird"
"It's Hip To Be Square"
Thunderbird Registry #33025 VTCI #11178

rayclark07"at"att.net (Home) 210-674-5781 (Cell) 210-875-1411
http://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm
Old 06-02-2012, 07:05 PM
Experienced

tp tbird is on a distinguished road
Default Rear tack strip

What i did was go to a sheet metal shop with the old channel and had a couple straight pieces made that were close to the old ,but the out side curves corners could not be made so I had to use those pieces from the old one.The straight pieces I cut into five sections 2 sides and 2 along the back and 1 in the dip in the middle back connected them together best I could screwed down with the rubber tack strip in it ,so for it has all held.

Last edited by tp tbird : 06-02-2012 at 08:45 PM.
Old 06-02-2012, 09:35 PM
Experienced

lawyercalif is on a distinguished road

Sorry I gave the wrong source for the tack strips. I got them a Mac's Antique Auto Parts.
Old 06-02-2012, 11:37 PM
Super-Experienced and a HELLOFA nice guy

YellowRose is on a distinguished road
Default 1960 convertible snaps coming undone

Thanks, Daniel, for setting that straight. I see them in MAC's catalog. I see there are two different sizes listed for the 1955-1966 Tbirds. 1/2" wide x 3/8" thick Tackstrip at $1.25 a foot and 5/8" wide x 1/8" thick Tackstrip-F same price. If he decides to replace that snap strip with this, which one does he need? http://macsautoparts.com/tack-strip-...0R3CHL1135515/

http://macsautoparts.com/tack-strip-...0R3CHL1142853/

Ray Clark - Squarebirds Administrator
'59 Tbird "The Yellow Rose Of Texas" aka "Tweety Bird"
"It's Hip To Be Square"
Thunderbird Registry #33025 VTCI #11178

rayclark07"at"att.net (Home) 210-674-5781 (Cell) 210-875-1411
http://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm