This will take you to the main site where there is history, technical information and other information on these cars.
This takes you back to the main page of the forums.
This is the control panel to change your password, information and preferences on this message board.
Click here if your lost your password or need to register on this message board. You must be a registered user to post. Registration is free.
Search this board for information you need.
Click here to buy cool Squarebirds mechandise.
Click here to support Squarebirds.org. For $20 annually receive 20mBytes webspace, a Squarebirds e-mail address and member's icon on the message board.
Old 05-26-2012, 01:02 AM
Experienced

Restifier52 is on a distinguished road
Default Right Under My Nose

Hi all,

Having driven almost 1000 miles on my new wheels and tires including numerous acceleration runs and attempted burnouts I must say I feel like a very lucky man. In order to install the CalTracs I recently received I of course removed the rear wheels. This is the first time they've been off since installation which was done with me watching from a respectful distance of 10 feet or so. Upon removing the hubcaps I was astonished to see the ends of my axle studs at least 1/4" recessed into my lug nuts. I thought I liked this shop but I can't abide this kind of failure to observe a basic safety issue.
So anyway, good luck, no harm to man or machine but I need longer studs. 1 1/2" longer or so is what I hope to get. The closest the local auto parts stores have gotten is Dorman p/n 610-444 Ford OE 1L2Z1107AB which only gives me another 1/2" of threads and is a few thousandths larger in diameter in the shoulder. Is this going to be the best I can do or does someone know of a longer one? Thanks.
Rick
Thunderbird Registry #35780
Old 05-26-2012, 01:45 AM
Experienced

Well, using the Summit search function has shown me a few things. I just realized that if I put 3" studs in the axle I would probably have to drop the leaf spring to change the tire.
Old 05-26-2012, 01:48 AM
KULTULZ

Thumbs down

http://arp-bolts.com/

They should have at the least mentioned the studs were too short.
Old 05-26-2012, 02:03 AM
Experienced

It looks like Moser 8250 is going to be my best bet.
Old 05-26-2012, 07:13 AM

Anders is on a distinguished road

Modern Formula 1 cars only have 2 1/2 rev of thread
http://www.tbirdregistry.com/#33158
Old 05-26-2012, 03:22 PM
Apprentice

cdhowell is on a distinguished road

If the threads engaged were at least the diameter of the stud, you should be fine.
Old 05-27-2012, 02:53 PM
KULTULZ

Wheel stud threads have to be completely covered by the retaining nut as when torqued the threads will stretch and the nut cannot maintain the needed torque possibly resulting in a nasty and expensive failure.

They were wrong to not bringing this to your attention before releasing the car.

I could understand them releasing the car as is (if proper replacement parts were non-available quickly) to allow you to take it home but the customer has to be informed (and is most likely contrary to any state inspection law).

Had the fasteners failed and the defect proven, it would have made one heck of a law suit.

I would never trust them again.
Old 05-27-2012, 04:14 PM
Experienced

lawyercalif is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Restifier52 View Post
Hi all,

The closest the local auto parts stores have gotten is Dorman p/n 610-444 Ford OE 1L2Z1107AB which only gives me another 1/2" of threads and is a few thousandths larger in diameter in the shoulder. Is this going to be the best I can do or does someone know of a longer one? Thanks.
Rick
You said the threads were 1/4 inch inside the lug nuts. A 1/2 difference will get you 1/4" past the lug nuts. Anything past that is a waste so what is wrong with using the ones with a 1/2" difference?
Old 05-27-2012, 05:19 PM
Experienced

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawyercalif View Post
You said the threads were 1/4 inch inside the lug nuts. A 1/2 difference will get you 1/4" past the lug nuts. Anything past that is a waste so what is wrong with using the ones with a 1/2" difference?
I was thinking to get longer than necessary to insure myself against having to change them again if I got another set of wheels/tires in the future. And I have seen drag cars with the studs well out from the lugs though I admit I don't know exactly why they do that. It's a moot point after I realized I'd never be able to get the wheel off without dismantling most of the rear suspension. I'm not quite ready to do the Dakota Boy wheelwell
Old 05-27-2012, 06:48 PM
KULTULZ

Quote:
in the nhra rulebook it is stated as:

the thread engagement on all wheel studs to the lug nut, or lug bolts to wheel hubs, must be equivalent to or greater than the diameter of the stud/bolt. length of the stud/bolt does NOT determine permissibility.

( a 7/16" stud must be thoroughly engaged through the threads in the hex portion of the lug a minimum of 7/16")
From- http://ls1tech.com/forums/drag-racin...hra-legal.html

Also-

http://www.dormanproducts.com/catalo...ec10_Part2.pdf