This will take you to the main site where there is history, technical information and other information on these cars.
This takes you back to the main page of the forums.
This is the control panel to change your password, information and preferences on this message board.
Click here if your lost your password or need to register on this message board. You must be a registered user to post. Registration is free.
Search this board for information you need.
Click here to buy cool Squarebirds mechandise.
Click here to support Squarebirds.org. For $20 annually receive 20mBytes webspace, a Squarebirds e-mail address and member's icon on the message board.
Old 05-23-2012, 11:11 AM
Apprentice

Deblib is on a distinguished road
Default Carbureators

I agree Dakota boy! Driving a car with a carbureator again made me remember my 66 Mustang and what a pain that carb was. I always had to take off the air breather to get more air before my car would start! Only in certain weather.
Debbie #38435
Old 05-23-2012, 11:24 AM
Super-Experienced and a HELLOFA nice guy

YellowRose is on a distinguished road
Default Denise Has Questions About Her '60 Tbird

I think Phil meant "wrench" instead of "wench"! But then I could be wrong! If Dan intends for Denise to do this, then Phil might have had it right!

Ray Clark - Squarebirds Administrator
'59 Tbird "The Yellow Rose Of Texas" aka "Tweety Bird"
"It's Hip To Be Square"
Thunderbird Registry #33025 VTCI #11178

rayclark07"at"att.net (Home) 210-674-5781 (Cell) 210-875-1411
http://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm

Last edited by YellowRose : 05-23-2012 at 02:52 PM.
Old 05-24-2012, 01:08 AM
Apprentice

philbird60 is on a distinguished road

I know fuel injection is terrific, but the truth is, after some really painstaking rebuilding and tweaking of the OEM carb on my '60, I've found it to be amazingly smooth and responsive, and the heat driven choke works perfectly. It was a huge pain in the ***..
Whenever I have a drivability issue, or have to decide wether or not to restore to original spec, or go with a modern solution, I try to remind myself that when ford sold these cars, they didn't hand the keys over and say "listen, it might not start, or it might hesitate a little.. " they had every expectation that their design (no matter how rube goldberg it may be, in some cases) would allow the average driver ease of use and many miles without repair.
This thread did touch on something I'm interested in improving on.. the fuel does seem to scavenge out of the bowls and back into the tank when it sits for a bit.
My fuel line at the carb is not original, and I am wondering, Did it have a bend once that went up right after it exited the body, creating a trap? Is it possible that I've not set my floats quite high enough?
Old 05-24-2012, 04:20 AM
Slow Typist

simplyconnected is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by philbird60 View Post
...I try to remind myself that when ford sold these cars, they didn't hand the keys over and say "listen, it might not start, or it might hesitate a little.. "...
That's kinda true but... back then we learned to live with common starting problems. Cars used to 'flood', usually in Winter. On hot days some cars had 'vapor lock'. When is the last time your modern car flooded, and when's the last time you even heard of anyone having vapor lock with EFI?

Cars were simple and crude but the best Detroit offered, and competition was fierce.

Our family went to the same gas station because Dad trusted the mechanic to service our cars including,
  1. Tuneup
    1. plugs
    2. points
    3. condensor
    4. rotor
    5. wires
    6. Distributor Caps
    7. adjust valve lash (on Flatheads, Mileage Maker Six's, and Y-Blocks)
  2. brakes
    1. replace shoes
    2. turn drums
    3. repair or replace leaky wheel cylinders
    4. bleed the system
    5. replace return springs
    6. perform scheduled shoe adjustments
  3. lube
    1. change oil
    2. grease all zirk fittings
    3. pack front wheel bearings
    4. check trans fluid
    5. check rear end dope
  4. charging systems
    1. batteries - every few years or so
    2. generators or alternators
    3. voltage regulators (including 'flashing' the armatures)
  5. suspension
    1. tires
    2. tire balance (while the wheel was on the car)
    3. shock absorbers
    4. ball joints
    5. tie rods
    6. a few even did front end alignments
  6. engine overhaul
  7. TOWING SERVICE w/their own truck
  8. and of course, gas
...but the price of gas was of NO importance because it would be 'compensated for' in service costs if you were a regular customer.

That's why you got your windshield washed, oil checked, tires checked (and filled for free), etc.

Your car was one the service station took responsibility for servicing. This was a personal trust and pride that worked both ways. Every one of my neighbors claimed, 'their gas station' was the best. Inside, there was a small counter with a cash register, and maybe a gum machine or a Coke machine. That's it.

Now, none of the gas stations have a mechanic and they couldn't give a rip about your car. They just want to sell cigarettes, lottery tickets, and a wide assortment of junk to eat. - Dave

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
--Lee Iacocca
Old 05-25-2012, 11:31 AM
Experienced

63-4drpost is on a distinguished road
Default timing??

the accelerator pump has to be adjusted properly,this means as soon as the throttle starts to open, fuel is squirting into the venturi, also look under the front bowl of the carb to see if gas is leaking out. Means the accelerator pump diaphram is shot. 10 years is a long time for a Holley carb. set the ignition timing to 10* with the vacuum advance line disconnected. Run the best gas you can find, BP Ultimate is one of them.I had a 1958 T-Bird when I was in the USAF(1965-1969), so I learned alot about them.
Old 05-25-2012, 11:35 AM
Experienced

63-4drpost is on a distinguished road
Default dumb- --- needs help !!

I need help! The threads? on squarebirds only, start with the last thread then goes in sequence to the first thread. how do I reverse this?? thanks,Henry
Old 05-25-2012, 02:10 PM
Experienced

lawyercalif is on a distinguished road

Just pretend its Chinese and read backwards. Its not that hard to get used to. Just begin on the last page and go forward.
Old 05-25-2012, 02:33 PM
Super-Experienced and a HELLOFA nice guy

YellowRose is on a distinguished road
Default Denise Has Questions About Her '60 Tbird

Everyone on this Forum has control over how they read the posts on here. To change your view, click on User CP. Then slide down the left side to Edit Options. From there move the right side slide down to the Thread Display Options. Go to Thread Display Mode. I bet your setting is set on Linear - Oldest First. Change it to Linear - Newest First. Then slide down the page to the Save Changes button. Click on it to save the change you just made. Then you can get out of User CP, and when you are back in a thread, you should be seeing the newest post first, followed by the older ones...

Ray Clark - Squarebirds Administrator
'59 Tbird "The Yellow Rose Of Texas" aka "Tweety Bird"
"It's Hip To Be Square"
Thunderbird Registry #33025 VTCI #11178

rayclark07"at"att.net (Home) 210-674-5781 (Cell) 210-875-1411
http://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm
Old 05-25-2012, 06:28 PM
Super-Experienced

scumdog is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluefury View Post
Thanks Phil for the input. New problem my hubby needs help with. The gentleman we bought the car from put in gas with 2 cycle oil mixed in for his grandsons motorcycle by mistake. What is the easiest way to drain this out?

Thanks
Denise & Dan
How much was put in?

If only a couple of gallons or so I would just top up the tank with straight gas, the car won't notice the two-stroke fuel then.

(There's a good chance that apart from smoking a tad it wouldn't notice the two-stroke gas anyway...!)
Old 05-26-2012, 11:34 PM
Apprentice

philbird60 is on a distinguished road

It will however smell like a weedwhacker for awhile