This will take you to the main site where there is history, technical information and other information on these cars.
This takes you back to the main page of the forums.
This is the control panel to change your password, information and preferences on this message board.
Click here if your lost your password or need to register on this message board. You must be a registered user to post. Registration is free.
Search this board for information you need.
Click here to buy cool Squarebirds mechandise.
Click here to support Squarebirds.org. For $20 annually receive 20mBytes webspace, a Squarebirds e-mail address and member's icon on the message board.
Old 05-21-2012, 12:35 AM
Apprentice

Mickfly70 is on a distinguished road
Default How do you think I did this?

Well I was parked in my spot at work with the rear facing a solid concrete wall about 6 inches away.

I had been talking to a local mechanic about how to start the tbird when it was hot. i.e. between 5 and 60 minutes after shutting it down. (yep still got that problem)

After 5 minutes my wife called and at the same time I watched two cars go head to head in a one way lane in front of me. If that wasn't enough to distract me I decided I better check how the engine was going to start this time.

Unfortunately it did start and as I gave it some gas it lurched backwards right into the wall. I had left it in Reverse. Because the ignition was a little wonky, a previous owner had wired a push button to start the engine once the key was turned on. So the engine will start in any gear. I didn't really know this until now.

The photos attached are what happened. The bumper sprung back into its original position.

May be I need those chrome "eyebrows" after all.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Image.jpg (387.0 KB, 101 views)
File Type: jpg Image 1.jpg (369.0 KB, 99 views)
Old 05-21-2012, 05:05 AM
Super-Experienced

scumdog is on a distinguished road

Man that sucks - at least (a) nobody was hurt and (b) you now know where body repairs were done roughly!

BTW: My '66 had the starter inhibitor by-passed bu a previous owner when I bought it - and like you I was unaware - but found out and fixed it before doing any damage.
Old 05-21-2012, 08:24 AM
Apprentice

stu454bb is on a distinguished road

Bummer. I know your pain. My blown 540 chev started in gear in my garage and launched into the brick wall. Very embarrassing.
Hopefully the damage is not to bad. Good luck.
Old 05-21-2012, 04:01 PM
Moderator / Administrator

Dan Leavens is on a distinguished road
Cool

Mick feel the pain but at least as mentioned no one was hurt. Another project for you AFTER getting the ignition situation looked after. Have you installed a " new " detent plate ( sold off our site ) for the selector shift as they wear badly over the years? I replaced the plate on both my wife's 58 and my 60 just to have confidence that it wouldn't slip out of gear In the search box on the main page enter " detent plate " and read the theads / posts on this subject.
58HT #33317
Old 05-21-2012, 06:29 PM
Apprentice

Mickfly70 is on a distinguished road

Thanks Dan

I do have a spare "gear shift steering wheel" assembly that came with the car. I thought it was just for the indicator ("blinker" for my Aussie and NZ mates) problem I have as well. It stays on after a turn. And the right blinker needs two taps to go on.

I'll put the detent plate on my ever-growing list.