This will take you to the main site where there is history, technical information and other information on these cars.
This takes you back to the main page of the forums.
This is the control panel to change your password, information and preferences on this message board.
Click here if your lost your password or need to register on this message board. You must be a registered user to post. Registration is free.
Search this board for information you need.
Click here to buy cool Squarebirds mechandise.
Click here to support Squarebirds.org. For $20 annually receive 20mBytes webspace, a Squarebirds e-mail address and member's icon on the message board.
Old 05-16-2012, 12:12 PM
Experienced

jackbird60 is on a distinguished road
Default Bushing in Control Arm- to Frame 1960

Hi, boy one thing after another, or as they would say, welcome to the hobby of car restoration.

I notice a lot of noise under the car in the front especially when I turned. When I brought it to my local gas station, the guy noticed it was a bushing popping out from the frame that connected to the control Arm whe nI turned the wheel.

Not being a suspension guy, is this something I can just tighten? Do I need to replace that bushing connected to the frame , or do I have another problem, like the frame hole where the bushing is conencted is bent or too big or something like that.

Thanks - Jack
Old 05-16-2012, 12:39 PM
Slow Typist

simplyconnected is on a distinguished road

It's hard to comment without seeing the evidence. Is the bushing ok or is it worn? What caused it to come out?

Take a few pics and post them for us. - Dave

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
--Lee Iacocca
Old 05-16-2012, 08:02 PM
Super-Experienced

DKheld is on a distinguished road

Here's mine - you can see the power steering ram bushing is starting to come apart and I believe the idler arm bushings have been replaced with the aftermarket type that can be greased. Maybe it will allow you to compare with what you have. This is looking in from the passenger side.

I'm thinking if it were any of this coming loose you wouldn't be able to steer the car so maybe it's the A-arm bushings? (second pic)
They can't be tightened. They are pressed in and will have to be replaced.

Somebody is sure to have better suspension pics or we'll take a look at yours.....

Eric

Old 05-16-2012, 11:51 PM
Slow Typist

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackbird60 View Post
...I notice a lot of noise under the car in the front especially when I turned. ...gas station, the guy noticed it was a bushing popping out from the frame that connected to the control Arm when I turned the wheel.

...Do I need to replace that bushing connected to the frame, or do I have another problem, like the frame hole where the bushing is conencted is bent or too big or something like that...
Sometimes these questions don't include enough detail; that's why I asked for a picture. Is it a urethane bushing, or a idler arm bushing? Both connect to the frame.

Is this an upper or lower control arm. or a drag link?

Without details, all we can do is guess. I say we wait for the pictures. - Dave

--Lee Iacocca
Old 05-17-2012, 03:23 PM
Super-Experienced

tbird430 is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up

I agree we need a few pics to help....

I thought front sway bar bushing when I read this post the 1st time.

The 1960 Ford Thunderbird. The WORLD'S most wanted car....

VTCI Member#6287.
Old 05-17-2012, 04:26 PM
Experienced

Hi Guys,

I can't post the pictures. Can I email someone? Or Hey Ray, how much to upgrade membership so i can post pictures. Where do I do that at?

Thanks Everyone!1

Jack
Old 05-17-2012, 04:30 PM
Experienced

Ok, I found out how to subscribe as a member, and just did it, so I am not sure how long it takes before I can upload a picture!

Jack
Old 05-17-2012, 06:34 PM
Super-Experienced

tbird430 is on a distinguished road

Way to go Jack!!!

The 1960 Ford Thunderbird. The WORLD'S most wanted car....

VTCI Member#6287.
Old 05-17-2012, 07:05 PM
Slow Typist

You can upload right away. When you 'Post Reply', scroll down the screen, you will see "Additional Options". You will see a place called, MANAGE ATTACHMENTS. Just tell it where your pictures are on your hard drive. Load as many as you want.

--Lee Iacocca
Old 05-19-2012, 05:43 PM
Experienced

Whew!

Thanks guys. Now hopefully you can see it. It where the Arm meets the frame. It's the bushing in between!

Ths- Jack Maybe the 3rd pic is the best
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 100_1211.jpg (247.4 KB, 60 views)
File Type: jpg 100_1212.jpg (383.8 KB, 60 views)
File Type: jpg 100_1213.jpg (403.6 KB, 60 views)