This will take you to the main site where there is history, technical information and other information on these cars.
This takes you back to the main page of the forums.
This is the control panel to change your password, information and preferences on this message board.
Click here if your lost your password or need to register on this message board. You must be a registered user to post. Registration is free.
Search this board for information you need.
Click here to buy cool Squarebirds mechandise.
Click here to support Squarebirds.org. For $20 annually receive 20mBytes webspace, a Squarebirds e-mail address and member's icon on the message board.
Old 05-15-2012, 10:30 AM
The Source

RSS Robot is on a distinguished road
Post Why your next car may not come with a CD player

Filed under: Technology, Ford, Design/Style

Michael Arbaugh, chief designer of Ford interiors, describes center console space as "oceanfront property" - already fully populated, with more tenants trying to move in every year. Speaking to the Automotive Press Association in Detroit, Arbaugh said one tenant he'd like to evict is the CD player because it's dead weight for audio Luddites.

Ok, so he didn't say that exactly. But Arbaugh believes they're out of fashion with people under 30, and that growing lack of interest means they occupy space that could be better employed. CD players also add weight that has to be countered somewhere else in the march to meet CAFE regulations, an endeavor with nearly aerospace tolerances anymore.

The CD-less car is just talk at the moment, but there's no doubt it's coming. More and more computers are being sold without optical drives, and as it goes in the tech world so it shall go in the car-tech world. If we could just get carmakers to properly integrate connections for other PMPs that can play lossless codecs and don't mutilate the music, we wouldn't mind at all.Why your next car may not come with a CD player originally appeared on Autoblog on Tue, 15 May 2012 08:28:00 EST. Please see our terms for use of feeds.

Permalink | Email this | Comments

More...
Old 05-15-2012, 11:08 AM
Super-Experienced

Joe Johnston is on a distinguished road

Why not?

I'm old enough to remember record players in cars of the 50's as the "big thing", and then we lost the 8-track and cassette players, so I see it as a normal progression. I just listen to XM radio and am not into all the music that my kids and grandkids are, but just to try it, I have downloaded music to a USB drive and plugged it into my car - and it worked easily. My kids have huge libraries on their I "thingies" and can just plug them in and listen in the cars as well as Bluetooth hands free phone. If a little square of plastic can hold hundreds or perhaps thousands of songs, do we really need to clutter up the sunvisors with holders that hold 8 or 10 CD disks? I give CDs 5 years and they will be eliminated from cars.
Old 05-15-2012, 01:53 PM
Experienced

Jimz Bird is on a distinguished road

You mean there is something newer than the "Town & Country" AM radio? Will wonders ever cease?

CLICK HERE for Jimz web site
Old 05-15-2012, 03:08 PM
Super-Experienced

SandyBoy is on a distinguished road

Up until 2 years age, I owned a concours show-car, that
had a working 8-Track. I have about 40-50 8-Tracks that still played.
When I sold the car I gave the 8-tracks to the new owner. (The car was a 1968 Imperial Crown Convertible with under 37,000 miles.

My wife's 2001 Jeep Cherokee Limited has both a built-in Cassette player and a built-in CD player, factory installed. I like that set-up.
My Lincoln Town Car has just a CD player.

Most of the time I just play the stereo !
Old 05-15-2012, 03:18 PM
Super-Experienced

SandyBoy is on a distinguished road

Nice Bird !!
Old 05-15-2012, 04:29 PM
Slow Typist

simplyconnected is on a distinguished road

Jim just rattled my cage because I have a Town & Country radio in the '59. I sent it to Gary Tayman down in Flowerida and he performed miracles on it.

Not only does the wonder bar work, "T" scans AM, "C" scans FM. Yep, it's stereo. It has two RCA jacks in the back for my MP3 player that 'cuts-into whatever is playing', when on. It gives full left-to-right and front-to-back controls AND it looks BONE STOCK!

He turned this ho-hum am mono radio into a thing of beauty without changing any of the looks. No LEDs no extra buttons or switches. The light comes on with the dash lights just like it did from the factory.

I did add an automatic power antenna behind the driver by the trunk. The radio automatically raises and lowers it without any switches. When down, it looks like a little chrome button. - Dave

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
--Lee Iacocca
Old 05-15-2012, 06:39 PM
Experienced

Jimz Bird is on a distinguished road

Dad gum it Dave!

I may have to put that on the "list".

That does sound like a workable combination.

CLICK HERE for Jimz web site
Old 05-21-2012, 10:54 PM
Experienced

FINSRIN is on a distinguished road

That T&C conversion sounds like a good deal.
I have a good T&C and a parts T&C to fit the 59 Galaxie.
Has regular AM pushbutton in it now.
Galaxie is a project for 2013. Have enough (to much) going on this year. Might send radio(s) to Gary to have it ready for next year.
Bill