This will take you to the main site where there is history, technical information and other information on these cars.
This takes you back to the main page of the forums.
This is the control panel to change your password, information and preferences on this message board.
Click here if your lost your password or need to register on this message board. You must be a registered user to post. Registration is free.
Search this board for information you need.
Click here to buy cool Squarebirds mechandise.
Click here to support Squarebirds.org. For $20 annually receive 20mBytes webspace, a Squarebirds e-mail address and member's icon on the message board.
Old 05-08-2012, 04:42 PM
Apprentice

elvis is on a distinguished road
Default alignment spec

somebody must know where to find wheels alignment spec for the 60 bird ??? I hope please
Old 05-08-2012, 05:28 PM
Excellent Auto Mechanic for over 40 years.

jopizz is on a distinguished road

It's called a shop manual. Section 6-5.
Old 05-08-2012, 07:56 PM
Apprentice

elvis is on a distinguished road

ok I had it under my nose sorry but is it the same with radial tire is there something with caster or camber ??? maybe I need glassed
Old 05-08-2012, 08:11 PM
Excellent Auto Mechanic for over 40 years.

jopizz is on a distinguished road

The caster and camber settings in the specifications are for belted tires only. You're not going to find any squarebird specs for radial tires. Maybe some of our members who use radial tires on an everyday basis can chime in on what they did when they changed over. I'm sure some adjustments should be made.
Old 05-08-2012, 10:19 PM
Super-Experienced

dgs is on a distinguished road

I've looked and looked, but couldn't find any specs on radials. I couldn't even find any from the T'birds that came from the factory with both - the late 60's 'Birds were offered with radials as an option. I asked the folks on the Big Birds Yahoo list about the differences in specs and couldn't get an answer.

The best info I found is from folks on the Baby 'Bird Yahoo groups list. They said change the toe from 1/16-1/8 toe in to 0-1/16 toe in, everything else is the same. That matches general info I learned from a magazine article on radial tires. Bias tires need tow in to provide directional stability, with radials that toe in will actually make the car wander.

As I recall, when I had mine done, the specs that the tire shop had seemed to match that new info as well, but I wouldn't count on that.
Old 05-28-2012, 06:33 PM
Experienced

ayrwoof
Talking camber/ caster /toe

I have radial tires on my bird . the shop maual says 1/2 deg pos
castor . throw the reading in the can with radial . I set mine up on
big o alignment machine 2 weeks ago. to the following specs.
camber (top to bottom from front of car) --flat footed zero but
a 10th deg neg is real close.
castor in shop manual said ,1 deg pos to 1 1/4 deg pos.
my car was found to be 1 deg neg . ,easy switch
move two thick shims from rear to front...
i set mine at 1.5 deg pos on left & 1.8 on right
for road crown.
total toe was set with motor running at .19 deg.
>am told to drive-in the new balljoints. and neg
castor will still work....
Old 05-28-2012, 09:27 PM
Super-Experienced

Dakota Boy is on a distinguished road

when I rebuilt my front end and ditched the old Indy Profile bias-plys, I measured the old tie rods and duplicated it with the new rods.

I must be the luckiest 'Bird owner in the world, cuz the car runs straight down the road with no hands on the wheel.