This will take you to the main site where there is history, technical information and other information on these cars.
This takes you back to the main page of the forums.
This is the control panel to change your password, information and preferences on this message board.
Click here if your lost your password or need to register on this message board. You must be a registered user to post. Registration is free.
Search this board for information you need.
Click here to buy cool Squarebirds mechandise.
Click here to support Squarebirds.org. For $20 annually receive 20mBytes webspace, a Squarebirds e-mail address and member's icon on the message board.
Old 05-08-2012, 12:06 PM
Experienced

tp tbird is on a distinguished road

My 430 1959 convertible has been the biggest project that I have done to date ,and at my age most likely the last sad to say.
I just passed on a 56 tbird last month that was taken apart for restoration 30 years ago and in really good shape and right price,but I had no room for it.I use to have a 55 bird and 57 bird,some reason I always have a bird.I guess fords have been in my blood all my life except for a 53 merc and a 55 chevy I have had in the past years.Working on them was necessary for me as I could not afford to pay a shop to do it when I was younger.My first car was a 1941 ford business coupe I got it from the first owner,41 ford sedan,then a 1957 tbird from my uncle,he brought it new.From there I had a 1960 ford convertible sun liner,1935 ford coupe,1926 model t roadster pickup from the first owner,couple ford vans,and now I have 5 cars and a Harley

Last edited by tp tbird : 05-08-2012 at 01:04 PM.
Old 05-08-2012, 08:22 PM
Slow Typist

simplyconnected is on a distinguished road

Good research, Jim. This type of resistor goes inside a heating duct because it depends on air flow to cool it. Without air flow it would quickly burn open.Three speed fans use a resistor with two filiments and three connections. Most cars go to their grave wearing good fan resistors, so they should be an item that is cheap and readily available regardless of make or model (or you can pay dearly for a new one).

Notice the size of the wire! This is like coat hanger, built to pass ~5 to 6-amps. So the big electrical question is, what's the watt rating? A Radio Shack resistor won't disipate enough watts and will quickly burn out.

So, if Lo or Med speeds on your heater fan don't work, this is the culprit. They are easy to change and should be inexpensive enough to pick up a spare if you're passing a bone yard.

Here is a sketch of a three speed switch & resistor... - Dave
Attached Images
File Type: jpg HeaterCircuit400.jpg (35.1 KB, 40 views)

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
--Lee Iacocca
Old 05-08-2012, 10:58 PM
Experienced

Jimz Bird is on a distinguished road

OK, makes sense to keep it cool.

So if I need to replace my 3 wire with a 2 wire then I should get this one and mount it in the heater duct?

thanks.

CLICK HERE for Jimz web site
Old 05-09-2012, 04:54 AM
Slow Typist

simplyconnected is on a distinguished road

Yes, Jim. Most modern car resistors are very easy to find, just follow the wires from the heater switch to the heater duct about 18 inches away (usually above the passenger's feet). Pull off three stabs and unscrew two screws and it's in your hand.

If the resistor has three connections and you only need two, you can use half of it if you want.

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
--Lee Iacocca