This will take you to the main site where there is history, technical information and other information on these cars.
This takes you back to the main page of the forums.
This is the control panel to change your password, information and preferences on this message board.
Click here if your lost your password or need to register on this message board. You must be a registered user to post. Registration is free.
Search this board for information you need.
Click here to buy cool Squarebirds mechandise.
Click here to support Squarebirds.org. For $20 annually receive 20mBytes webspace, a Squarebirds e-mail address and member's icon on the message board.
Old 04-30-2012, 04:19 PM
Experienced

frank58 is on a distinguished road

Congrats, I'm sure everyone is looking forward to seeing this progress,
thanks for sharing.
Before you write off the engine, have you checked it yourself? pull the plugs and squirt some oil in the cylinders and later on try to turn it.
Hey.... you never know.
Old 05-07-2012, 08:04 AM
Apprentice

stu454bb is on a distinguished road

Hi guys, next install.
So cleared out the back garage and parked up the new girl. Started removing the remaining interior, outer stainless trim and bumpers. We were able to remove the entire loom, labeling each section or plug, and taking plenty of detail pics.
All bolts and small brackets are going into zip-loc sandwich bags and being labeled. Although time consuming at first, this process saves a lot of time when bolting parts back together. Every thing will either go through our small media blast unit, wire wheel or handed to a mate for power coating. Its great to have mates in different industries that can really help, and save some coin in the process.
All the bumpers pieces will be sent to a guy who straightens, and welds any damage that needs attention. These bars are pretty good, but I recon there's a lot of work for the plating. Also sending the inner side roof rails and front windscreen trims. I'm not looking forward to the chrome plating bill, but great chrome is so important on an old classic.
I'm thinking we'll replace all the side glass and windscreen. The rear glass looks pretty good with only a few minor scratches. Couple of pics of dis-assembly before heading to the beaters
Attached Images
File Type: jpg iphone 280412 211.jpg (331.5 KB, 177 views)
File Type: jpg mums card 2 141.jpg (329.6 KB, 177 views)
File Type: jpg mums card 2 174.jpg (425.5 KB, 178 views)
File Type: jpg mums card 2 297.jpg (476.5 KB, 177 views)
File Type: jpg mums card 2 300.jpg (354.7 KB, 176 views)
File Type: jpg mums card 2 299_800x600.jpg (113.0 KB, 171 views)
Old 05-07-2012, 11:12 AM
Super-Experienced

tbird430 is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up

WOW!!!

You guys ARE getting busy!!

Thanks for sharing these pics. Smart on bagging, labeling, & taking lots of pics too.

-Jon in TX.

The 1960 Ford Thunderbird. The WORLD'S most wanted car....

VTCI Member#6287.
Old 05-07-2012, 12:16 PM
Super-Experienced

DKheld is on a distinguished road

Lots of great progress!

I always wondered why you had to go to the grocer to get the nice zip-loc parts bags - you mean those things are actually made to put sandwiches in ??

We did the same thing with the baggies and parts on the '57 MGA we restored recently and the other 2 MG's we are restoring now. Works out great. Funny how folks from different parts of the world use the same process.

I have a non-A/C heater plenum (no heater core) left over from when I was putting A/C on my car - bought an extra one thinking I might need to modify it for the A/C install but never used it. If you need it just let me know - but I think you said the car was mostly complete.

x2 on sharing the pics - that's great.
Eric
registry 5347
Old 05-08-2012, 09:32 PM
Super-Experienced

dgs is on a distinguished road

You might want to check the glass before you replace them to see if it's got the original Ford logo and proper date code. Kinda neat to have if they are the originals.
Old 05-09-2012, 03:52 AM
Apprentice

Well your right Dgs, but the original glass has moisture damage between the layers of glass, and one piece is cracked. The guy doing the side glass says he is now able to print the old logos onto the new glass. Not sure about the date code. I would love to use the original stuff, but its just not up to the standard I need.
Old 05-14-2012, 02:43 AM
Experienced

FINSRIN is on a distinguished road

Love Tbird (and old car) saves. You guys are doing great. Looking forward to more postings.
Bill
Old 05-16-2012, 06:43 AM
Apprentice

Back again. This is what a square bird looks like in boxes. Seems there are parts everywhere. Bumpers in wraps, boxes of brackets and stainless trim, door and window mechanisms. A whole box full of sandwich bags containing screws and bolts. You have to be methodical when pulling parts. Its so easy to loose a small bracket or a couple of screws. Each section of parts is labeled and boxed before the next is removed. Everything is being stored in a small garage at the side of the house.
With the bird near totally stripped, I trailered her down to Sydney town to the panel shop. And the old girl got plenty of attention along the way from passing motorists.
Dave is the panel guy and he wasted no time in tearing into that caved in quarter. Now this car came with two rear quarter panel repair sections. Dave is only using the lower, choosing to straighten the upper section himself. I really take my hat off to these metal workers. To have the ability to cut and stretch and bring back the original shape is a true skill. It took little time for Dave to bring back the beautiful lines of this old bird. There is a bus load of smaller repairs to take care of, but the shell will get soda blasted next. This will reveal any little surprises we have not found yet. And its not a cheap process. About 2k for a car this size. Couple of pics of the parts storage and the quarter repair.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN0168.jpg (412.0 KB, 118 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN0172.jpg (454.5 KB, 122 views)
File Type: jpg iphone 280412 281.jpg (347.3 KB, 118 views)

Last edited by stu454bb : 05-16-2012 at 05:34 PM.
Old 05-16-2012, 06:51 AM
Apprentice

Pics of the repair.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 010.JPG (28.5 KB, 121 views)
File Type: jpg 012.JPG (41.4 KB, 121 views)
File Type: jpg 015.JPG (30.0 KB, 122 views)
File Type: jpg 017.JPG (55.4 KB, 122 views)
File Type: jpg 020.JPG (61.8 KB, 122 views)

Last edited by stu454bb : 05-16-2012 at 06:53 AM.
Old 05-16-2012, 08:30 AM
Super-Experienced

DKheld is on a distinguished road

Wow - nice panel repair and I agree that the metal folks can sure work some magic - my attempt to fabricate a metal A/C duct worked but I sure am glad it is hidden.

You're moving along nicely on the resto - very quick in fact.

Thanks for the update - really like the pics - keep them coming!

Eric

Squarebird in boxes - heh.....

"some assembly required"

Last edited by DKheld : 05-16-2012 at 08:33 AM.