This will take you to the main site where there is history, technical information and other information on these cars.
This takes you back to the main page of the forums.
This is the control panel to change your password, information and preferences on this message board.
Click here if your lost your password or need to register on this message board. You must be a registered user to post. Registration is free.
Search this board for information you need.
Click here to buy cool Squarebirds mechandise.
Click here to support Squarebirds.org. For $20 annually receive 20mBytes webspace, a Squarebirds e-mail address and member's icon on the message board.
Old 09-23-2012, 12:45 PM
Super-Experienced

tbirds8 is on a distinguished road

I usually sqweez those spring closed a little up top
Old 09-25-2012, 12:18 PM
Super-Experienced

tbird430 is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up

That looks great in back!!

A difference you will surely tell & feel (plus those front disc added).

-Jon in TX.

The 1960 Ford Thunderbird. The WORLD'S most wanted car....

VTCI Member#6287.
Old 09-25-2012, 02:08 PM

Anders is on a distinguished road

I donīt know if any of these helps, but I thru them in anyway. Canīt hurt as I see it....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_6334_2-1.jpg (315.2 KB, 217 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_6339.jpg (237.6 KB, 217 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_6321.jpg (314.4 KB, 216 views)
http://www.tbirdregistry.com/#33158
Old 09-25-2012, 02:46 PM
Super-Experienced

RustyNCa is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYsquarebird58 View Post
Will any vacuum reservoir tank do? I found this one on summit racing. Perhaps I can bypass the one that's hidden behind the fender and mount a smaller one under the hood, like the ones that hotrodders use when they're running big cams and power brakes.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/MRG-3701/
Yeah, does the same thing as the one in the fender. I am running that exact tank on our Oldsmobile, for the exact reason you mentioned. It only pulls 7 or 8 pounds of vacuum at idle, not enough to keep the power brakes fed for more than one pedal pump. So far it has solved the problem with the olds brakes.

You know our 65 tbirds have two vacuum res cans under the hood, which makes sense. It has vacuum door locks, release for the parking brake, lock for the slide away steering wheel, I assume mode doors on the heater, in addition the brakes. I haven't traced it out, but I think Ford separated the systems, hence the two cans.
Old 09-25-2012, 06:58 PM
KULTULZ

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anders View Post

I donīt know if any of these helps, but I thru them in anyway. Canīt hurt as I see it....
That BIRD is lucky to have you. Nice detail work...
Old 09-30-2012, 10:34 PM
Experienced

NYsquarebird58 is on a distinguished road

Looks like Iím about 98% done with my brake system overhaul and disc brake conversion!

Last weekend I finished plumbing all the hard and soft lines. This weekend I bench bled and installed the master cylinder and filled and bled the system.

I still need to extend the wiring to reach the brake switch and replace the vacuum line that runs to the booster from the intake manifold.

I took the bird for a very short test ride around the neighborhood. She stops, but not with the force that I anticipated. I have a firm peddle and good peddle height; it just feels like I have to push down hard to get her stop promptly. Dave and I think itís probably the old rubber vacuum line with the check valve that Iím temporarily using. The new booster already has a check valve; the vacuum line going to the booster also has a check valve. Itís possible that having the two check valves in line is robbing some vacuum assist.

Iíll pick up a new piece of vacuum hose tomorrow and eliminate that second check valve. Hopefully thatís the culprit.

Hereís the bird in her parking spot (facing the other way now )
Old 10-01-2012, 02:50 AM
KULTULZ

Question

Are you sure the rear brakes have been adjusted properly? Remember, they will not make full drum contact until the arc of the shoe lining is the same as the brake drum (wear-in).

Also- http://www.brakeandfrontend.com/issu...ontentid=40440
Old 10-01-2012, 08:45 AM
Experienced

Quote:
Originally Posted by KULTULZ View Post
Are you sure the rear brakes have been adjusted properly? Remember, they will not make full drum contact until the arc of the shoe lining is the same as the brake drum (wear-in).

Also- http://www.brakeandfrontend.com/issu...ontentid=40440
The rear drums seem to be adjusted properly. I can hear and feel the resistance of the shoes contacting the drums when I spin the wheels by hand. I also have a high pedal. I figured that if my drums were out of adjustment that, my peddle would seem low once I apply the brakes.
Old 10-01-2012, 08:56 AM
KULTULZ

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYsquarebird58 View Post

The rear drums seem to be adjusted properly. I can hear and feel the resistance of the shoes contacting the drums when I spin the wheels by hand. I also have a high pedal. I figured that if my drums were out of adjustment that, my peddle would seem low once I apply the brakes.
Good point.

On the initial adjustment, did you run the shoes completely against the drums and then back them off until you could rotate (spin) the wheel by hand one half turn?

You will also have to seat the linings once you have your assist problem fixed.
Old 10-01-2012, 07:57 PM
Experienced

Quote:
Originally Posted by KULTULZ View Post
Good point.

On the initial adjustment, did you run the shoes completely against the drums and then back them off until you could rotate (spin) the wheel by hand one half turn?

You will also have to seat the linings once you have your assist problem fixed.
I did several things. First I pulled up hard on the parking brake to try and seat the drums. Then I kept on adjusting the shoes just until I got to the point where I could not spin the drums. At that point I backed it off a bit until I could spin the drums with some resistance.

When I finished bleeding the brakes, I gave the pedal a few good pumps to try and seat the drums again and then I readjusted the drums a bit more until I felt some drag while spinning the wheel by hand.

I’m not sure if that’s proper procedure but it made sense to me at the time.

I’m getting ready to leave the house now to pick up a new piece of vacuum hose. Hopefully that does the trick. I took the old hose and check valve off and sucked on the end. I did feel some resistance, but I’m not sure if it’s enough to starve the booster of the vacuum needed for full assist.