This will take you to the main site where there is history, technical information and other information on these cars.
This takes you back to the main page of the forums.
This is the control panel to change your password, information and preferences on this message board.
Click here if your lost your password or need to register on this message board. You must be a registered user to post. Registration is free.
Search this board for information you need.
Click here to buy cool Squarebirds mechandise.
Click here to support Squarebirds.org. For $20 annually receive 20mBytes webspace, a Squarebirds e-mail address and member's icon on the message board.
Old 04-18-2012, 10:04 PM
Experienced

lawyercalif is on a distinguished road
Default Engine Change on Temp Hold for Suspension

My 59 convertible is in the shop to install the rebuilt 390 and C6 transmission. They pulled the engine today and then noticed that my lower A Arm bushings were in bad shape. So I had to make a run to Larry's T-Bird and get new bushings. While we are at it I decided to replace the upper arm bushings too.

When they went to install the lower driver side A Arm bushing they found the mounting hole was cracked so it needed a weld. Nice to find it now. Its much easier to do this work with the engine out. Just shows old cars are always full of surprises, pays to check everything.
Hopefully they will have the front end repaired by tomorrow and then get back on the engine and trans.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg engineout 017.JPG (132.6 KB, 77 views)
File Type: jpg 001.JPG (138.1 KB, 78 views)
Old 04-18-2012, 11:19 PM
Super-Experienced

scumdog is on a distinguished road

This is why we have mandatory Warrant of Fitness checks here in New Zealand, to pick up on that sort of thing..

Some car owners would do nothing in the way of maintenance unless they were forced to.
Old 04-18-2012, 11:51 PM
Slow Typist

simplyconnected is on a distinguished road

***Reminder***
Keep your bushings loose until the car is on level ground. Then tighten them (per the Shop Manual).

I agree, Scumdog... how does anyone do a front end alignment with no bushings?

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
--Lee Iacocca
Old 04-25-2012, 10:16 PM
Experienced

I found out why you need to wait till the car is on the ground to tighten the suspension bolts. I told the guys working on my car not to tighten them until the car was on the ground. They did as I asked but there was one problem. They put the car down with the engine and trans still out of the car and the tightened the bolts. Then they installed the engine and trans. When I looked at it today it looked like a Gasser being launched hard at the drag strip.
They have promised to loosen the bolts again and then re-torque them with the car on the ground.

Other than that the 390 and C6 are installed they just have to deal with some linkage problems and a few other small items and it should be good to go in a couple of days. I will post some pictures soon.
Old 04-26-2012, 12:15 AM
Experienced

Jimz Bird is on a distinguished road

Hope you got a picture of it. That sounds cool.

Well, at least now that you know how to fix it.

CLICK HERE for Jimz web site
Old 04-26-2012, 02:50 AM
Slow Typist

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawyercalif View Post
...When I looked at it today it looked like a Gasser being launched hard at the drag strip..
Daniel, this is serious. Your mechanics only needed to follow the instructions in the Shop Manual. If not tightened while the car is 'flat', you will pre-load the urethane, twisting them passed their normal range of motion and tear them up. Make SURE they do it right or you will be replacing your bushings (again) very soon.

I hope this info gets to you in time. - Dave

--Lee Iacocca
Old 04-26-2012, 07:47 AM
KULTULZ

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by simplyconnected View Post

Daniel, this is serious. Your mechanics only needed to follow the instructions in the Shop Manual. If not tightened while the car is 'flat', you will pre-load the urethane, twisting them passed their normal range of motion and tear them up. Make SURE they do it right or you will be replacing your bushings (again) very soon.

I hope this info gets to you in time. - Dave
AGREED!

They need to loosen the bolts before installing the engine. Lower the engine and then re-torque the bushings.

Once the insulators are twisted, they will never settle to proper trim level.
Old 04-26-2012, 11:34 AM
Experienced

Too late the engine is already installed. I can only hope that it will settle when they loosen the bolts.

I printed out the page of the shop manual for them, but I guess they didn't understand that the engine had to be installed first.

Last edited by lawyercalif : 04-26-2012 at 11:38 AM.
Old 04-26-2012, 02:54 PM
Slow Typist

We run into this a lot, where mechanics really don't understand what's really going on. You may want to search for mechanics who know better.

Notice (in your picture), the inner sleeve of your bushings have teeth on the ends? That is to make sure the sleeve does not turn on the bolt or shaft. So, the only part that flexes is the urethane. Urethane only twists so far before it separates and breaks apart.

--Lee Iacocca
Old 04-26-2012, 04:30 PM
Experienced

Spoke to the mechanic and he swears they have not tightened the bolts yet.
He was not there when I looked at the car yesterday. I cannot understand if they were not tightened why the car is sitting probably 4 inches higher than before. He says it will settle, I guess I will wait and see.