This will take you to the main site where there is history, technical information and other information on these cars.
This takes you back to the main page of the forums.
This is the control panel to change your password, information and preferences on this message board.
Click here if your lost your password or need to register on this message board. You must be a registered user to post. Registration is free.
Search this board for information you need.
Click here to buy cool Squarebirds mechandise.
Click here to support Squarebirds.org. For $20 annually receive 20mBytes webspace, a Squarebirds e-mail address and member's icon on the message board.
Old 04-16-2012, 02:23 PM
Experienced

jackbird60 is on a distinguished road
Default Rear Power window on 60 Tbird problems

HI,
Psg side rear window problems!!!
The window has a new motor which works but the window does not operate properly. It appears upon inspection that someone before me might have remove the whole assy. I say this because the window doesn’t track correctly up or down. The window goes well below the sill line in the down position, which it shouldn’t (compared drv side rear for comparison). It also is about 2 ½ inches or more from the rear stop hitting the metal below. It will also try to start to pull the regulator arm (top arm) away from the rail and snap the roller off. I used some shims to help alleviate this, but I don't fel this is the soilution, since it helped but I still have problems.

When going up it will but will be about 1 1/2 inches short before getting to the top, then will start to move forward. Like it’s already reach its high point.

I believe that the regulator is out of phase with the worm gear connected to the regulator and is causing these problems. I did adjust the eccentric bushing etc, without any luck so I believe it not that since it’s basically a 360 degree adjustment. There are three of them .

I was hoping that the regulator could be phase correctly and put back in. Any ideas on how to do this would be greatly appreciated. Any other ideas will be welcome as well!

Thanks- Jack

Thanks
Jack
Old 04-16-2012, 03:29 PM
Excellent Auto Mechanic for over 40 years.

jopizz is on a distinguished road

Have you tried adjusting the stops. There is a stop on the bottom of the window that is adjustable so the window doesn't go down too far. Are you saying it's 2 1/2" from that stop? There is also a stop on the inside frame that allows the window to come up to the correct height and meet the door window at the correct angle. It sounds like both of yours are out of adjustment. I'm not sure about the worm gear being that far off unless it's the wrong one. There's some adjustment to it but not that much. I would remove it and check the part number.

Last edited by jopizz : 04-16-2012 at 03:35 PM.
Old 04-16-2012, 06:45 PM
Experienced

Hi Thanks

No the stops have nothing to do with this problem. The upper stop is adjusted all the way up or down depending on how you want to say it. The lower stop doesn't even touch as mention. It how the window travel is the problem!!

Ths- Jack
Old 04-16-2012, 07:04 PM

I'm just trying to understand how the window can be all the way down and NOT touch the bottom stop. That's pretty much impossible if the stop bolt is in place and not broken off. Is there any way you can post a picture with the window down so I can see where it's at. That might help figure out what's going on.
Old 04-16-2012, 07:59 PM

Here are some pictures of mine. One is with the window down and the other two with the window up. Let me know if you need any more angles.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg rear window 1.jpg (335.8 KB, 127 views)
File Type: jpg rear window 2.jpg (238.6 KB, 127 views)
File Type: jpg rear window 3.jpg (329.8 KB, 127 views)
Old 04-17-2012, 09:39 PM
Experienced

Hi, I do have the pictures but do not know ho to post them as you did. If you could email them to you, I could send them.

Thanks. My email is: jackbird60@mail.com

Jack
Old 04-18-2012, 01:18 AM
Super-Experienced and a HELLOFA nice guy

YellowRose is on a distinguished road

Hi Jack,

You can send any pix you want to post to me and I will post them for you. Or you can become a Paid Member and then you can post any pictures you want to directly on our server...

Ray Clark - Squarebirds Administrator
'59 Tbird "The Yellow Rose Of Texas" aka "Tweety Bird"
"It's Hip To Be Square"
Thunderbird Registry #33025 VTCI #11178

rayclark07"at"att.net (Home) 210-674-5781 (Cell) 210-875-1411
http://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm
Old 04-18-2012, 10:35 AM
Apprentice

rannugno is on a distinguished road

Jack, this sounds like the same problem I have on my car. Check the quarter window frame, it may be broken next to the top stop bracket, or the track for the rollers are to wide and the roller jumps out and then the roller on the short rail inside the windows also jumps off, but difficult to see. If you only put back the roller on the window frame it and the other down on the small track still is off the window act like you describe (snap the roller off, wrong angle +++). It's not necessary to do any timing of the gears.
Old 04-18-2012, 12:18 PM
Experienced

Thanks Gunnar, I think that makes a lot of sense. The frame was bent a bit, and I 'll see about that and the rollers. I noticed that the old rollers where metal, and the new ones I rec, were plastic which doesn't hold up as well, but thanks I think you have hit this on the head so I'll go back reexamine etc.

Ths- Jack
Old 04-18-2012, 06:39 PM
Super-Experienced

Dakota Boy is on a distinguished road

I have a thread on this site which describes some brass rollers I made instead of using those plastic ones.

run a search