This will take you to the main site where there is history, technical information and other information on these cars.
This takes you back to the main page of the forums.
This is the control panel to change your password, information and preferences on this message board.
Click here if your lost your password or need to register on this message board. You must be a registered user to post. Registration is free.
Search this board for information you need.
Click here to buy cool Squarebirds mechandise.
Click here to support Squarebirds.org. For $20 annually receive 20mBytes webspace, a Squarebirds e-mail address and member's icon on the message board.
Old 04-15-2012, 11:33 PM

Mexiamericano is on a distinguished road
Default 62 cranks but wont start

My 62 wont turn over! It cranks, the gas squirts but it just wont start! I replaced the coil but still no go. Any suggestions?
Old 04-16-2012, 01:09 AM
Experienced

Jimz Bird is on a distinguished road

Hi Alfred,

Welcome to the Forum.

How long has it been sitting? When was the last time it started OK?

Were you able to get any spark from the boots to the spark plugs?

I'm not well versed on the 62s but this might help to get you started. It has to do with 62s.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/1962-Ford-TH...8#ht_500wt_715

CLICK HERE for Jimz web site
Old 04-16-2012, 01:18 AM
Slow Typist

simplyconnected is on a distinguished road

Your question is too vague.
Jim is asking if your fluids are fresh, especially your gas.

Do you have a volt/ohm meter? Harbor Freight sells them for five bucks.

Before you changed coils, did you check for voltage at the coil + with the key "on"? How about when the key is in "Start"?

Do your plugs throw a spark? What color is it?

Troubleshooting is easy if you follow the steps from the beginning to the end. Don't get sidetracked. Don't let anything divert your attention. Use all your senses.

Do you smell gas? Does it smell like varnish?
If you get spark, ...well, let's cross that bridge when we come to it. - Dave

EDIT: YES, Jim! 1962 Ford THUNDERBIRD "Midwest Bikini Team" wall poster:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg $(KGrHqIOKi!E1yNv1GzJBNerniBFVg~~_12.jpg (39.4 KB, 43 views)

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
--Lee Iacocca

Last edited by simplyconnected : 04-16-2012 at 01:23 AM.
Old 04-16-2012, 01:40 AM
Super-Experienced

gaffney1951 is on a distinguished road
Default Won't start ...

Check to see if you have power to the coil when cranking for starters, have someone crank it over while you check it with a meter. No or low voltage would point to bad ignition switch or loose connection/bad wire. I've seen more than one instance of a new coil being bad, so check it for continuity and to see if it is shorted to the case. Next I would pull the distributor cap and make sure your points are opening and closing and gap is correct and there is fire at the points. Check condition of cap, rotor, and points and condenser. Also check to make sure the distributor shaft is turning and that there isn't excessive play in the shaft (shaft doesn't turn means sheared dist gear pin). If everything is good at that point pull a plug and ground it some where on the engine and check for spark at the plug. If no spark at plug check wires for proper resistance and condition of plugs. I know that's a lot to check and I'm sure there are a few I missed, but that's the joy of diagnostic detective work. Here's hoping you get it on the first thing you check. Mike
Old 04-16-2012, 02:22 PM

Carb is getting fuel, went ahead and replaced the rotor and cap but still no fire. With key ON coil + shows 6v and coil- shows 0.4v. i pulled the coil wire from the distributor and noticed a slight spark when the key was turned to ON but no spark when attempting to start it. I also pulled a plug and grounded to engine while starting and still no spark. I will be returning the coil for a new one to rule it out of the problem. Still stumped
Old 04-16-2012, 02:44 PM
Experienced

Maybe go back to Mike's list and check points and condenser. Along with the plate in the dizzy and the shaft.

Old 04-16-2012, 04:37 PM

New coil did not help. Doesnt appear to spark. The coil is getting power though. Could the solenoid be suspect?
Old 04-16-2012, 05:00 PM
Super-Experienced

scumdog is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mexiamericano View Post
New coil did not help. Doesnt appear to spark. The coil is getting power though. Could the solenoid be suspect?
Check the points are opening and shutting properly, throw in a new condensor for good measure. ( I doubt the solenoid is faulty.)
Old 04-16-2012, 06:52 PM

what about the ignition switch?
Old 04-16-2012, 07:16 PM
Experienced

The ignition switch would be something to check after you check the points and condenser.

How long has this been sitting or has it been running fine and this just happened?