This will take you to the main site where there is history, technical information and other information on these cars.
This takes you back to the main page of the forums.
This is the control panel to change your password, information and preferences on this message board.
Click here if your lost your password or need to register on this message board. You must be a registered user to post. Registration is free.
Search this board for information you need.
Click here to buy cool Squarebirds mechandise.
Click here to support Squarebirds.org. For $20 annually receive 20mBytes webspace, a Squarebirds e-mail address and member's icon on the message board.
Old 04-15-2012, 02:35 PM
Experienced

lawyercalif is on a distinguished road
Default What's Your Opinion on These Tires and Wheels

I have found a Tire and Wheel combination that intrigues me. I love the look, but I am not sure how they would look on my 59 Vert. They are 15 x 7 wheels with a 38mm offset, so they would probably need 1 1/2 inch spacers at least on the front. Tires are 215/70R15 they should work fine.

My questions are, is a 1 1/2 spacer safe on the front, would I also need the spacer on the rear?

Also, just give me an honest opinion of how you think these would look on a 59 Convertible. I look forward to your opinions.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P215-70R15_WG.jpg (38.3 KB, 125 views)
Old 04-15-2012, 04:34 PM
Moderator / Administrator

Dan Leavens is on a distinguished road
Cool

Daniel the tire / rim comboniation looks good. The beauty of owning a classic is that you put your personality into them and these would certainly pop..
58HT #33317
Old 04-15-2012, 04:35 PM

Anders is on a distinguished road

If they fit your car or not is up to you as a owner. Only your opinion is relevant as I see it. They are not my favorites at all, as I think "that classy look" got lost as soon as the steelwheels with hubcaps are gone. But there are some Alu wheels like 5 spoke Cragar style that does look good without giving away too much of the flair from the past. Billet style like this require quite a dramatic bodywork to go with it if you ask me.
http://www.tbirdregistry.com/#33158
Old 04-15-2012, 06:27 PM
Super-Experienced

dgs is on a distinguished road

Personally, I think it's too modern of a style for the classic Squarebirds, but if you like them, it's your car. There are a lot of classic billet style wheels like the Boyd's I went with that really work with the classic lines. Check out Foose, Boyd Coddington, American Racing and others like it.

As far as the spacers, I would think you'd want to run them front and back if you had wheels that needed them. That way they'd look the same, otherwise your rear wheels would be 1 1/2" farther inboard. Also, there is more room back there, but maybe not that much.
Old 04-15-2012, 06:50 PM
Experienced

lawyercalif is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgs View Post
Personally, I think it's too modern of a style for the classic Squarebirds, but if you like them, it's your car. There are a lot of classic billet style wheels like the Boyd's I went with that really work with the classic lines. Check out Foose, Boyd Coddington, American Racing and others like it.
I already bought four wheels like the one shown below with the Ford hubcap. My next question is do you think the tire in the other picture would go with these, and if so, which set of wheels do you like best.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg $(KGrHqZHJCwE8ff78TS1BPLg4FkWyw~~60_12.jpg (46.2 KB, 143 views)
File Type: jpg P215-70R15_WG.jpg (38.3 KB, 144 views)

Last edited by lawyercalif : 04-15-2012 at 06:53 PM.
Old 04-15-2012, 07:30 PM
Super-Experienced

Dakota Boy is on a distinguished road

To me, they look too modern for a late '50's car

Last edited by Dakota Boy : 04-16-2012 at 08:53 AM.
Old 04-15-2012, 10:08 PM
Experienced

Jimz Bird is on a distinguished road

FWIW

I like the "wires" with the hubcap. Tires a tossup. Maybe medium width whitewalls to show off the wheels.

CLICK HERE for Jimz web site
Old 04-16-2012, 12:02 AM
Super-Experienced

I like the wheels on the left best of the two, but I'm not sure I could stop thinking 'Crown Vic' every time I saw them.

The white & yellow stripe tires (Vogues?) are OK but I think a nice white wall would be better personally.

I think I've seen someone with those lace wheels on a Squarebird someplace.
Old 04-16-2012, 12:03 AM
Experienced

Restifier52 is on a distinguished road

I think the tires with the Ford wheels would work. Perhaps you have the capability to impose an image of the wheels and tires onto an image of your car. Then you would have as good an idea as possible how it looks short of actually putting them on. I must agree however that what we think does or doesn't look good is worth its weight in helium.
Thunderbird Registry #35780
Old 04-16-2012, 01:20 PM
Super-Experienced

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgs View Post
I think I've seen someone with those lace wheels on a Squarebird someplace.
I think I figured that out. I may have been remembering NYsquarebird58's first 'bird:

Similar, but not the same. Different 'lace' pattern and more significantly, exposed lugs vs. covered. Still, will give you an idea how they'll look.