This will take you to the main site where there is history, technical information and other information on these cars.
This takes you back to the main page of the forums.
This is the control panel to change your password, information and preferences on this message board.
Click here if your lost your password or need to register on this message board. You must be a registered user to post. Registration is free.
Search this board for information you need.
Click here to buy cool Squarebirds mechandise.
Click here to support Squarebirds.org. For $20 annually receive 20mBytes webspace, a Squarebirds e-mail address and member's icon on the message board.
Old 04-14-2012, 10:23 PM
Slow Typist

simplyconnected is on a distinguished road
Default "I am tinking... you have VIRUS."

I got a call this afternoon from "Vertex" at 310-599-9211. The voice sounded curiously from India or Pakastan, and I was expecting to hear, 'My name Peggy'.

The greatest virus is one where you actually get the computer owner to infect himself! Many fall for this because they don't expect a virus will be caused by a living person.

Anyway, 'Peggy' said he was from Microsoft and they were detecting worms coming from MY computer, 'that I don't know about'. Really! Then he 'led me by the hand' to go into "administration tools" to verify all this bad activity. He asked if I noticed my computer is running slow. I said, "No, it ain't slow..."

At this point, not only am I 'on to him' but I'm playing along to keep him employed for nothing, and I'm having fun. These people think everyone is an idiot, so I pretended to make typing mistakes by misinterpretation of his accent. "I am tinking... emmm... which keys again? This is confusing and my fingers are slippery like goat teats because my nervous hands are sweating!"

After awhile of this, we got to the good part where he commanded me to type, wwwdotammyydotcom. Now I KNOW this is a site to take control of my computer, and I know they want to sell me the antidote to reverse the process. These people are spineless sub-human scum who use our Internet to rob and pilfer. They have no conscience or morals and thy work full time to scam good folks.

I said, "Are you SURE this is ok? Because, all my passwords and bank accounts are on here. So are my access codes for dozens of web sites and servers. If these get into the wrong hands I could lose MILLIONS of dollars." I could hear the guy get real excited! His voice got higher as he said, "YES! YES! YES! PUSH ENTER button, right NOW! ... PUSH NOW and tell me what happening on your com-pU-ter."

I said, "Wait! Wait one minute! I am old and I need to pee before I embarrass myself. I'll be back soon, Mr. Microsoft, so do not go away."

...this guy is probably still waiting for me to return because I put the phone down by the speaker and opened a music site.
...and he doesn't know I have two phone lines.

The internet is full of warnings about this typical phone call. Folks from all over the world are warning about how they were duped, so do not get sucked in. I like this Youtube video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DdbFuxRlqCo

- Dave

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
--Lee Iacocca

Last edited by simplyconnected : 04-14-2012 at 10:28 PM.
Old 04-15-2012, 04:42 PM
Moderator / Administrator

Dan Leavens is on a distinguished road
Cool

Mr. Dare you a good man Magoo!!!
58HT #33317 60HT # 23023
Old 04-15-2012, 08:25 PM
Experienced

Jimz Bird is on a distinguished road

GOOD Move Dave! Neat that you got to screw with them a bit.

It sounds like sites that will have a pop-up that says "You have a virus" they then instruct you to click on OK to get a "Free" scan. That WILL give you a virus and then they "offer" to clear it up for a fee. Insidious Bastiches all!!!

Once that is up it not even safe to click on the X. While these are "Modal Windows" (a child of another window) and should close with the X, they may have foxed it up.

If anyone gets that type of pop-up then the best thing to do is go into "Task Manager" and Kill your browser session under the "Applications" tab.

There are different ways to get there depending on your OS and how your Start menu is set up.
Easiest way that works on all is to hold down Ctrl & Alt then tap Delete. That brings up the Security Dialog box to lock your computer and do some other things. Tap the "t" key or click on Task Manager to bring the TM up. Go to the Applications tab and right click on any browser sessions that are open and then click on "End Task". Make sure all browser seasons are closed then you can X out of the TM.

That will "Interrupt" the modal window safely. You will lose you browser sessions but better than losing all by turning off the machine.

Also to reiterate, Banks, Microsoft, even Apple (they are NOT impervious to attacks) or any legitimate company will not ask for YOUR password on the phone or in an email no matter how official it looks.

Also some notes on that Phone #. Google suspicious #'s
http://800notes.com/Phone.aspx/1-310-599-9211/2

HTH

CLICK HERE for Jimz web site

Last edited by Jimz Bird : 04-15-2012 at 08:29 PM.
Old 04-16-2012, 09:20 PM
Super-Experienced

tbirds8 is on a distinguished road

I love to play with those kinda people be it the phone or computer. good job dave.............bill