This will take you to the main site where there is history, technical information and other information on these cars.
This takes you back to the main page of the forums.
This is the control panel to change your password, information and preferences on this message board.
Click here if your lost your password or need to register on this message board. You must be a registered user to post. Registration is free.
Search this board for information you need.
Click here to buy cool Squarebirds mechandise.
Click here to support Squarebirds.org. For $20 annually receive 20mBytes webspace, a Squarebirds e-mail address and member's icon on the message board.
Old 01-15-2012, 01:32 PM
Apprentice

rannugno is on a distinguished road
Default Inerior PPG color number

Hi,

Anyone know the correct PPG or Ford color number for interior for a 58 T-bird, or where to find it?
The interior code is XA (blue and blue tweed). I guess the blue color is the same as interior code XE (blue and white).

Gunnar
Old 01-15-2012, 06:52 PM
Super-Experienced and Proud Kentuckian who bleeds Ford Blue.

Richard D. Hord is on a distinguished road

Hey Gunnar,
Here is one article I found; http://automotivemileposts.com/tbird...eriortrim.html
Richard D. Hord

Here's another; http://www.love-fords.org/documents/...trim-codes.pdf
http://camaroattitude.com/cgi-bin/co...rbird&rows=100
http://paintref.com/cgi-bin/colorcod...erbird&rows=50
Registry #33436

Last edited by Richard D. Hord : 01-15-2012 at 07:27 PM.
Old 01-16-2012, 05:01 PM
Excellent Auto Mechanic for over 40 years.

jopizz is on a distinguished road

I don't believe the interior paint codes are listed anywhere unless they happen to be in one of the old Ford upholstery books. It's best just to take a sample of your interior to your paint supplier and have it mixed.
Old 01-16-2012, 05:29 PM
Super-Experienced

partsetal is on a distinguished road

I have a Dupont color chip folder for 1960 Ford Motor Company and it has the Dupont formulas for the interior colors. That would lead me to believe that someone with the chips for the 1958 Ford Motor Company would have what you're looking for.
Carl
Old 01-16-2012, 07:28 PM
Apprentice

Thanks all for your response.

I also got a friend that is a sand blaster and hobby painter. He also think a PPG code for the interior exist, but it seems hard to find. I guess the solution is to bring some part from the interior to the paint shop for scanning. It also a problem that the color on the interior also have changed over time. But I guess it's best to bring with me some of the vinyl parts, they seems not to have changed so much as the metal details.
Old 03-20-2012, 02:44 PM
Apprentice

Default XA and XE not the same blue color tone

The interior color code XA (blue, blue tweed and white) and XE (blue and white) do not use the same blue color tone. I asked a lot of people (suppliers) regarding this before i ordered and they all meant it was the same. As you can see on the pictures bellow, the blu tone is not the same. The piece on the right picture is from behind the back plate on the drivers seat, and have never been exposed for ligth. I have also checked the backside of different other interior pieces and they all have the same color as the small piece and the door cover cover.

So if any other out there have the color code XA, this blue color seams to be rare and it's almost impossible to find interior with correct color.

Do anyone have any experience in painting vinyl? Is it possible, and will it look good?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCF1657liten.jpg (84.5 KB, 98 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF1664liten.JPG (99.7 KB, 100 views)
Old 03-20-2012, 03:45 PM
Super-Experienced

tbird430 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by rannugno View Post
The interior color code XA (blue, blue tweed and white) and XE (blue and white) do not use the same blue color tone. I asked a lot of people (suppliers) regarding this before i ordered and they all meant it was the same. As you can see on the pictures bellow, the blu tone is not the same. The piece on the right picture is from behind the back plate on the drivers seat, and have never been exposed for ligth. I have also checked the backside of different other interior pieces and they all have the same color as the small piece and the door cover cover.

So if any other out there have the color code XA, this blue color seams to be rare and it's almost impossible to find interior with correct color.

Do anyone have any experience in painting vinyl? Is it possible, and will it look good?
You nailed it!!

My parents '58 Bird had that rare (XA) blue/tweed seat option. They ordered everything for a (XE) blue/white vinyl '58 because the original tweed material was WAY TOO expensive to go back with at that time.

They were a little diasappointed at 1st in the "new blue" color difference, but since they were having to get EVERYTHING they kept it all for their car.

But your right, there is a lighter shade of blue used in '58.

-Jon in TX.

The 1960 Ford Thunderbird. The WORLD'S most wanted car....

VTCI Member#6287.
Old 03-20-2012, 07:52 PM

Anders is on a distinguished road

Colors on these old fellas is a tricky matter. I belewe to be lucky as I work at Volvo Design Dept, where the Colour & Material group is a part of us. They are the ones who deals with all our exterior colors, Interior colors, wood, alu decor, plastic color & grain etc, etc. Not only that, while we where owned by Ford, we also have "direct-contact" with there color & material dept. We have the luxury to be treated with booth priority and get the "right guy" on the issue.
But that didnīt help me a bit when I asked about some real sample, reciept or similar for my exterior color Grenadier Red. They didnīt have a single sample left from those days. And nobody old enough to remember anything that could help me either. Neither could our own paintshop sort the paint out. Oh yes, there we have the chips. But I pretty fast found out that different manufacturers succeded different in finding the right spec on there chips. To find out the Original Ford color was not possible. Not to mension the metallic a such, as it was called "Poly" at the time. If you would find the same flakes in todays paint, It would be pure luck. But the problem is that no-one can realy be sure how it actually looked in 1958.

Now, interior colors. There we go again. I did exactly as Gunnar and cut a piece inside the back of my seat to have a covered sample. One of many problems is that I have about 5 different red tones in my interior. Different material degrade different to the UV light. And red is about the most sensitive of course. However, I checked ALL ( I will go leather now ) samples and charts again to find the right red color. I even get in contact with one of our two interior material suppliers to get them help me. The leather industry is very advanced these days, and they could actually dye in the right color, but it would cost quite a lot, and not only that, I needed to buy at least 5 hides, and would need to accept the quality they came in ( class 1, 2,and 3 instead of only bying the class 1 ), as I otherwise would need to buy way more hides. I ended up with a red color that is 2-3 % darker than the ( my piece ) original vinyl (I donīt trust the vendors colors to be totally accurate either. I have seen to many different tones. That donīt say they are bad. Just not 100% right. ), but as I will go for a all red interior without the white inserts in the seats and the door, the slightly darker red will look brighter when you have that much of one color.
So what do I try to say here? Seeking for the 100% original color is nearly impossible. Get it as close as you can. That will most probably look very good anyway.

Now I only have to scan my leather so I can order some paint for the vinyl foiled metal interior parts....
Not sure how to get that going, as we have very little, if any, experiance of painting vinyl. Our paint shop guys looked worried... ( We donīt have "Vinyl prep" or similar in Sweden, and to order spray cans from US is not possible anymore. Flight rules and stuff.. )
http://www.tbirdregistry.com/#33158

Last edited by Anders : 03-20-2012 at 08:02 PM.
Old 03-22-2012, 04:50 AM
Experienced

tmjsong1aolcom is on a distinguished road

I will chime in here about what Ford did and did not do.

Only about blue for now. The only difference in a production car with the blue/blue highland tweed and blue/white vinyl was the center bolsters.

The vinyl used for both seats and door panels was identical.

The pic of the supposed original vinyl material placed on a set of reproduction door panels is not Ford original grain. Nope Not. Therefore the color is whatever some used to redo the interior in the past.

These old birds have been monkeyed with in their long lives to the point that many feel that what is currently in their bird was original. Most are not original in more ways than one can count.

If you want a lighter shade of blue that is your choice and have fun with it.

I do have original swatches of the 58 materials in a show room book but am currently in Yap and do not have access to send pics. Can do when I get home if desired.

Please note that the reproduction vinyl being used on the interiors is very thin compared to what Ford originally used. I redid a 58 and if I had figured it out before the end I would have gotten a much better grade of vinyl and my guess the grain would be much closer to the original.

I do have 58 with red and white vinyl interior where the rear seat is still all orignal. Shows that the front seat centers and part of the side vinyl were replaced at some point in the life of the bird.

Good Luck
Fuz
58's&64's
Sun Prairie, Wi
tmjsong1@aol.com
Old 03-22-2012, 10:03 AM
Apprentice

Fuz, thanks a lot for your replay and input.

But I'm still near 100% sure that this "light blue" is original. The interior have never been repainted before. I've checked behind panels, parts of panel covered by other panels, under the dash and several other places. All these places have the same light blue color. But the seat covers have been changed before, and do also have the same light color. So it seems like someone have produced interior with this color earlier.

Second, If you read the further down from tbird 430, you can see that his parents had exactly the same experience as me when ordering interior for their XA colored bird.

Third, the picture under is found another place in this forum and shows a car with light blue door top cover and new darker panel. This is what my car will looks like if I use the new covers without painting them.

So I still believe two different blue shades have existed

Regards a confused,
Gunnar
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SERIES#.JPG (5.2 KB, 86 views)