This will take you to the main site where there is history, technical information and other information on these cars.
This takes you back to the main page of the forums.
This is the control panel to change your password, information and preferences on this message board.
Click here if your lost your password or need to register on this message board. You must be a registered user to post. Registration is free.
Search this board for information you need.
Click here to buy cool Squarebirds mechandise.
Click here to support Squarebirds.org. For $20 annually receive 20mBytes webspace, a Squarebirds e-mail address and member's icon on the message board.
Old 05-03-2012, 10:07 AM
Experienced

juantejeda is on a distinguished road
Default Horn Issues

Hey, I don't intend to offend anyone with my posts. Sorry if I have. All I can tell you is that I have followed the diagram, step by step, and it did not work. I have used the parts that I purchased from Carl, they are not new, but seem to be in good condition.
Thanks for all you help and I will not post on this subject anymore. I will figure it out.
Thank you all.
Thunderbird Registry #7960
Old 05-04-2012, 06:44 PM
Experienced

Default Horn Issues

@ Simply connected,

I feel a little offended my self regarding your reply. Not everyone is an expert at working on these cars. I never professed to be an expert, as a mater of fact, I am just a retired Cop that enjoys old cars and happens to have a restored 59 Thunderbird. This is my hobby and I do the best I can, asking for advice when I have a problem and giving input if and when I feel my input will help someone. I am sorry that what you ask me to do does not work. I followed the instructions as listed and as shown and it has not worked. As for the pictures, I didn't say that I didn't have pictures, I said that I did not know how to post them on this forum.
I do not intend to give any more input or ask for anymore input on this forum. If I am allowed to stay on as a member, I may use it from time to time for my own purpose and to try and self help my endeavors as a problem may present itself, but I will not bother you, or anyone else with my useless input.
There are other sites that I visit that have information and have never been treated in this manner. I am not a little kid to be put in my place for not knowing as much as you might know.
Thank you all for your help.
Juan
Old 05-04-2012, 07:17 PM
Slow Typist

simplyconnected is on a distinguished road

Juan, the illustrations and advice I gave is exactly the same as I would give ANYONE. We all try our hardest to help fellow restorers, enthusiasts, and users.

I don't know you and have no reason to think badly of you, what so ever. I understand everyone has a different level of mechanical and electrical aptitude and so does the Shop Manual. That is why I gave further illustrations from our members and from the Master Parts Catalog.

Of course, you may make full use of Squarebirds.org but being a non-paid member has limitations. Posting pictures is one of those restrictions. That is why I invited you to send your pictures to my personal email address, a few times. You refused and continue to do so.

I would love to apologize but I don't know what for. We have done the very best we can short of fixing your horn ourselves. There are restoration shops that do this kind of work so I suggest you follow that avenue. Their mechanics are much smarter than I am; show them these posts with your parts, as I'm sure they will help you fix your horn.

I am sorry you feel offended but we have done all we can and have shared all of our resources. I am retired as well and can identify with your situation. Sometimes it's worth the money to hire a professional because they can do a job faster than we can. Cheers. - Dave Dare

Edit: This is the only email Juan sent. There are no attachments or pictures. I don't understand why he sent an email that says, "I didn't get a picture."

Sorry Juan, you might have our forum confused with the AACA forum, where you did post pictures.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 04-20-12Email.jpg (67.0 KB, 42 views)

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
--Lee Iacocca

Last edited by simplyconnected : 05-04-2012 at 09:32 PM.
Old 05-04-2012, 09:19 PM
Super-Experienced and a HELLOFA nice guy

YellowRose is on a distinguished road
Default Horn Problems

Juan, it is very difficult to help troubleshoot a problem when one is not present to see what the problem actually is. It is like a surgeon trying to diagnose a patient from halfway across the country without being able to see the patient or pictures/xrays or MRI's of the patient. Having pictures of your horn area would certainly have helped with that diagnosis and troubleshooting. Dave offered to post pictures for you if you would have sent them to him. There are three ways to post pix on this Forum and I have covered them many times. In fact, I cover them every time a new user joins our Forum in my welcoming comments in New Members Welcoming. One is to become a Paid Member and you can post pix directly on our server to your hearts content. Another is to use one of the free picture hosting websites like Photobucket and then put the link to them on the Forum (keeping those pix to 800x600 size). The third way is what Dave offered you. If you would have sent them to him he would have posted them for you. If you had, then he, I and others on this Forum would have been better able to help you troubleshoot and fix the problem. I will make you the same offer that Dave did. Send any and all pix you have taken of your steering wheel/horn area before you started working on it, and after you got into it. Perhaps with those pix, we can pinpoint why you cannot get the horn to work. We have done about all we can to try and help you fix it, but it is VERY difficult to do without knowing what readings you are getting, what the problem area looks like before and after you get into it, and not being there with you, but it can be done. We would love to help you solve the problem and get your horn squared away. So send me some pix and I will post them for you.

Ray Clark - Squarebirds Administrator
'59 Tbird "The Yellow Rose Of Texas" aka "Tweety Bird"
"It's Hip To Be Square"
Thunderbird Registry #33025 VTCI #11178

rayclark07"at"att.net (Home) 210-674-5781 (Cell) 210-875-1411
http://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm
Old 05-04-2012, 10:00 PM
Slow Typist

simplyconnected is on a distinguished road

I may have found one of his problems...
I went to the AACA forum and looked at his pictures:
http://forums.aaca.org/f226/need-the...el-327174.html

Although there were no answers to his posts, I noticed in the last picture that his nylon washers are upside down, preventing the screws from descending all the way and further pushing the stack against the "C" clip.

I hope these new nylon washers aren't ruined. - Dave

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
--Lee Iacocca
Old 05-04-2012, 10:20 PM

Default Horn Problems

Juan, if you have not looked at the article and pictures on fixing horn problems in the Technical Resource Library, you should. It gives you a step by step breakdown on how to repair the horn problems. Notice that the insulated washers have an insulated "hat" on them and the screw heads screw down on top of them, insulating the screw heads from the metal contact piece they screw into. Read through those instructions well and you should be able to figure out and fix your problem.

http://www.squarebirds.org/picture_g...ring_wheel.htm

"It's Hip To Be Square"

Old 05-05-2012, 01:27 PM
Experienced

Default Horn Issues

OK, guys, I've pretty much done everything. I have read all yur posts, I have looked at all the diagrams and taken apart and our together as many times as I can, more than I can even count anymore. I have followed all the directions and I must say, I was able to fix the turn signal automatic shut off, but the as for the horn, well it still does the same. As soon as I put the Steering Wheel in place the horn goes off.
So I'm giving up. I will seek a professional to take care of the problem. I have disconnected the relay and will go without until I find someone that can fix it.
Sorry for all the inconvenience, but even though I know a little about many things, worked in electronics in the military, I am no expert when it comes to cars. I like them, I drive a beautiful T-Bird and do my best. But in the future I probably will not bother you, experienced restoration guys with my minimal problems. O love the Forum and will continue to read and try to learn, now that I'm retired (somewhat). But I will keep my two cents to myself. I don't like being treated like I'm stupid, cause I'm not. I follow instructions very well and am well versed ay following diagrams, electrical and otherwise. I was a cop for 35 years, but have done other things in my life. But like I said, never said I was an expert at restoring cars.
Take care, no more replies necessary. Email me if you like, I will respond.
Thanks again.
Old 05-05-2012, 02:14 PM
Excellent Auto Mechanic for over 40 years.

jopizz is on a distinguished road

Did you ever try adjusting the steering column as I suggested earlier. If you move it down slightly it might just fix your problem.
Old 05-05-2012, 07:32 PM
Super-Experienced

GTE427 is on a distinguished road

Post 49. Please someone, close/lock this thread and end the drama.
Old 05-05-2012, 07:44 PM

Default Horn Problems

Consider this thread Closed.

"It's Hip To Be Square"

Closed Thread