This will take you to the main site where there is history, technical information and other information on these cars.
This takes you back to the main page of the forums.
This is the control panel to change your password, information and preferences on this message board.
Click here if your lost your password or need to register on this message board. You must be a registered user to post. Registration is free.
Search this board for information you need.
Click here to buy cool Squarebirds mechandise.
Click here to support Squarebirds.org. For $20 annually receive 20mBytes webspace, a Squarebirds e-mail address and member's icon on the message board.
Old 04-15-2012, 10:41 PM
Experienced

juantejeda is on a distinguished road
Default Turn Signal turn off cam

Quote:
Originally Posted by simplyconnected View Post
#1. No. I guess the proper term is "retaining ring":
... to me, 'snap ring' is the same thing or if you prefer, "C" ring.
#2. How much space? Just enough so the bottom plate and "C" ring don't touch. It's not very technical, but five thousandths of an inch (.005") will do. More gap is even better.

The object is to make sure your bottom plate is electrically isolated from that "C" ring. You can check this on your bench. As said, if your meter shows zero ohms between the bottom plate and center steel, they are touching and your horn will blow. Check all insulators, including the nylon around the bottom plate screws.

The top spring pulls up on the bottom plate, off of the "C" ring. When you push the chrome Horn Ring, you counter-act the spring and send the bottom plate down on the "C" ring.

If your cork is too thick, spring is too weak, or an insulator is missing the horn will blow. If the "C" ring is missing, your 13318 (Cam - Turn Indicator Turn Off) will short, and the horn will blow. So, the "C" (retaining ring) is VERY important for a few reasons. - Dave
Should there also be a space between the "C" Ring and the Turn off cam?
Thunderbird Registry #7960
Old 04-16-2012, 01:09 AM
Slow Typist

simplyconnected is on a distinguished road

The Turn Signal Cam rests on the "C" ring.

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
--Lee Iacocca
Old 04-16-2012, 05:32 PM
Experienced

Restifier52 is on a distinguished road

I had a new turn signal pawl installed because I had to hold the turn signal lever down to keep it on. Now the lever stays down for both left and right turns but only cancels when returning from a right turn. What should I look for? Thanks.
BTW,hoping to go on my first cruise with the Water Wonderland club this Sunday. Fingers crossed for good weather. I still have more sorting out to do with my Newport wipers. I thought I had that done. I guess I should have done more thorough testing before I put the glovebox back. I'm getting pretty good at glovebox removal and reinstallation. They changed from intermittent to constant without the switch being moved, and then kept moving with the switch in the off position. I was dropping the car off when it happened so I don't know what happened the next time the car was started after the ignition was turned off.
Thunderbird Registry #35780
Old 04-17-2012, 06:16 AM
Slow Typist

I know that the pawl could interfere with the cancel cam upon installation, so it's best to turn the wheel as it descends down the spline.

I'm hoping for good weather, too. We've been blessed with warm but windy (or rainy) days the past week. I still like the temps.

New Port has a great support staff. I have called them in the past with very good results. They told me the switch is a 'purchased part' for them so apparently other companies are using it as well. Give New Port another call. - Dave

--Lee Iacocca
Old 04-17-2012, 11:10 AM
Experienced

Default Horn Issues

I need the 4108 Washers, any idea where I can get them? Also, as for the 3672-A, is that the Cork insulator?, if so I replaced that one.

Also, I have one of the three screws that secure the base Plate, does not tighten down very well, seems to be stripped. Is there a fix or do I need to start looking for a new part?
Old 04-17-2012, 11:19 AM
KULTULZ

Maybe check the condition of the steering coupling. It might be somewhat deteriorated and when removing the steering wheel you may have put pressure on it resulting in a out of spec steering shaft position.
Old 04-20-2012, 02:26 PM
Experienced

Default Horn Issues

OK, want to thank you all for your help. Finally got the problem resolved, at least for now. I still need to replace the three, insulated, washers, but until I find them what I have done will do. I was ab;le to use some Nylon washers that I found at ACE Hardware and they seem to be working OK. Ialso found that one of the three screw down holes that hold everything together seems to be stripped and I can't since down that screw the way I would like, but is seems to be OK, for now.
What I also found was that I had an extra spring that was in place where the Steering Wheel Bolt tightens down the Steering Wheel. I has always been there and I just assumed that it belonged there. I didn't see it on the diagram, so I left it off and when I was done it all seems to be working fine. Even my Turn Signal releases are working!
I would post pictures, but I don't know how.
Again, thanks to everyone that offered ideas, believe me I read them all and gave them some thought.
Old 04-20-2012, 04:48 PM
Slow Typist

I'm glad to hear you got your horn and turn signals working again.
Quote:
Originally Posted by juantejeda View Post
...Again, thanks to everyone that offered ideas, believe me I read them all and gave them some thought.
Quote:
Originally Posted by simplyconnected View Post
...Let's see a picture of your snap ring with a feeler gauge under it. Send it to simplyconnected@aol.com and I will post it here. - Dave
Quote:
Originally Posted by juantejeda View Post
...I would post pictures, but I don't know how...
Um... ok.

--Lee Iacocca
Old 04-28-2012, 06:17 PM
Experienced

Default Horn Issues Back Again - Help

Hello, again
Thought I had taken care of the problem, but as fate would have it......the other night, about midnight, my horn went of and sounded continuously, scared the heck out of my family as we thought it was a fire alarm or maybe the warning alarm from Diablo Canyon. Finally figured out that it was my Bird waking up for no reason. Couldn't get to my battery, so I had to remove my Steering Wheel to stop the horn.
Guess I need to get the parts to rebuild my Horn assembly in the Steering Wheel.
I will need some parts and so far the parts houses have not responded to my requests.
I need:
1. Three screws that go through the triangular plate.
2. The nonconductive, double washers that are in the triangular plate.
3. The part that the triangular plate screws into.

I can send pictures, if needed. Send me your email address.
Old 04-28-2012, 06:18 PM
Experienced

Default Horn Issues Back

Hello, again
Thought I had taken care of the problem, but as fate would have it......the other night, about midnight, my horn went of and sounded continuously, scared the heck out of my family as we thought it was a fire alarm or maybe the warning alarm from Diablo Canyon. Finally figured out that it was my Bird waking up for no reason. Couldn't get to my battery, so I had to remove my Steering Wheel to stop the horn.
Guess I need to get the parts to rebuild my Horn assembly in the Steering Wheel.
I will need some parts and so far the parts houses have not responded to my requests.
I need:
1. Three screws that go through the triangular plate.
2. The nonconductive, double washers that are in the triangular plate.
3. The part that the triangular plate screws into.
Closed Thread