This will take you to the main site where there is history, technical information and other information on these cars.
This takes you back to the main page of the forums.
This is the control panel to change your password, information and preferences on this message board.
Click here if your lost your password or need to register on this message board. You must be a registered user to post. Registration is free.
Search this board for information you need.
Click here to buy cool Squarebirds mechandise.
Click here to support Squarebirds.org. For $20 annually receive 20mBytes webspace, a Squarebirds e-mail address and member's icon on the message board.
Old 04-08-2012, 08:29 PM
Experienced

juantejeda is on a distinguished road
Default Horn Problems

Hello all....
I am having a problem with my horn and Turn Signals With-off. It all started when I took my set Steering Wheel apart awhile back. I followed all the instructions to the letter for the removal and then putting it all back together, but somewhere along the line I must have done something wrong, but for the life of me, I can't figure it out.
I have disassembled and put back together this Steering Wheel several time, following the directions and I still can't get the turn signals to click off after my turn and my horn works, but only when I press on the whole Steering wheel.
Right now, if I push down on the Steering Wheel the horn sounds, but not when I use the Horn Ring. The Turn Signals all work, but will not disengage after I turn.
Can anyone give me some advice?
Thunderbird Registry #7960
Old 04-08-2012, 08:31 PM
Experienced

Quote:
Originally Posted by juantejeda View Post
Hello all....
I am having a problem with my horn and Turn Signals With-off. It all started when I took my set Steering Wheel apart awhile back. I followed all the instructions to the letter for the removal and then putting it all back together, but somewhere along the line I must have done something wrong, but for the life of me, I can't figure it out.
I have disassembled and put back together this Steering Wheel several time, following the directions and I still can't get the turn signals to click off after my turn and my horn works, but only when I press on the whole Steering wheel.
Right now, if I push down on the Steering Wheel the horn sounds, but not when I use the Horn Ring. The Turn Signals all work, but will not disengage after I turn.
Can anyone give me some advice?
Oh, by the way, Happy Easter to all of you, hope you have had a nice day with your families.
Old 04-08-2012, 09:24 PM
Excellent Auto Mechanic for over 40 years.

jopizz is on a distinguished road

There are two large phillips screws under the steering column. You may have to loosen them and pull the steering column up towards you. That usually fixes the problem with the horn. I'm not sure about the turn signal.

John
Old 04-08-2012, 09:35 PM
Experienced

Default Horn Problem

I'll give that a try.

Thanks.
Old 04-08-2012, 10:19 PM
Super-Experienced

Dakota Boy is on a distinguished road

I cant remember exactly, but I think pulling your outer steering column housing up towards the steering wheel will solve both your problems.

There is a C-shaped piece "turn indicator cancelling cam" inside that turns the turn signals off. When my column was too low, it couldnt engage the switch mechanism.

See pages 8-10 and 8-28 in the Ford Manual.

I'd take you wheel off again and check the position of that cam before sliding up the column and potentially breaking something on the indicator switch.
Old 04-09-2012, 12:38 AM
Slow Typist

simplyconnected is on a distinguished road

Pay close attention to other functions before you tighten those two screws.

The guys are correct as both problems should straighten out BUT...
When you turn the column, you also turn the neutral switch at the bottom of your column. When you loosten the screws, as you pull up on the column tube, also turn your steering wheel side to side. If the indicator cancel 'ears' are in the way, the steering wheel should get passed that and allow you to pull the tube up all the way. Pull the tube up as far as it will go. You can't go too far.

When the indicator shows "P" or "N", see if the car will start. If not, slightly turn the column tube until it does, then tighten the phillips screws. I hope this helps. - Dave

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
--Lee Iacocca
Old 04-09-2012, 02:27 AM
Experienced

Default Horn Problem

The thing I don't understand is, why would the Steering Column move in the first place. I have never loosened the screws. I removed the Steering Wheel to get it refinished and when I put it back is when I started having the problems. I followed the directions word for word and when I tighten the wheel down, If I since it down too much the horn will honk continuously and I have to loosen it up, then when I try to honk the horn with the horn ring it does not work, yet when I push down (in) on the Steering Wheel it honks the horn. My signals work fine, they just don't disengage automatically. I've tried turning the 'C' that seems to be what disengages the signal but it won't turn off the signal switch.

If I loosen the column, is there a certain amount that I need to pull it up. How do I know how far to go?
Old 04-09-2012, 05:09 AM
Slow Typist

simplyconnected is on a distinguished road

I think your horn insulator (B8S-3672-A) is either installed wrong or it has deteriorated with age. Bird Nest has one for ~$3.00 (search for part #580HBI).

Here is a site to show proper assembly illustrations from our members: Click Here

The fact that your horn sounds is good because it proves your wiring is good back to the relay. Pushing down on the wheel and having the horn sound proves that the brass brush isn't normally making contact, but when you push, the brush touches the shorted horn ring causing the horn to blow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by simplyconnected View Post
...Pull the tube up as far as it will go. You can't go too far.

When the indicator shows "P" or "N", see if the car will start. If not, slightly turn the column tube until it does, then tighten the phillips screws. I hope this helps. - Dave

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
--Lee Iacocca

Last edited by simplyconnected : 04-09-2012 at 05:15 AM.
Old 04-09-2012, 11:08 AM
Experienced

Default Horn Issues

@SimplyConnected

Those are, in fact, the instructions and diagram that I have followed, several times and these issues are what I ended up with. I have already replaced the Cork Gasket. The original reason for taking it apart was to restore the Steering Wheel. After I put it back together, following the instructions and diagram, is when I ended up with the issues.
Guess I'll have to take it apart, again.
Thanks for your input!
Old 04-09-2012, 11:33 AM
Excellent Auto Mechanic for over 40 years.

jopizz is on a distinguished road

Sometimes the column can move a fraction of an inch just taking the wheel off. That's all it takes for the horn not to work properly. Adjusting it is just loosening the screws slightly, pulling it up or pushing it down a hair at a time until the horn sounds when you push the ring. It's not a high tech system. It sounds like your column is too far up and that's why you can't fully tighten the wheel.
Closed Thread