This will take you to the main site where there is history, technical information and other information on these cars.
This takes you back to the main page of the forums.
This is the control panel to change your password, information and preferences on this message board.
Click here if your lost your password or need to register on this message board. You must be a registered user to post. Registration is free.
Search this board for information you need.
Click here to buy cool Squarebirds mechandise.
Click here to support Squarebirds.org. For $20 annually receive 20mBytes webspace, a Squarebirds e-mail address and member's icon on the message board.
Old 03-29-2012, 05:50 PM
Super-Experienced

Dakota Boy is on a distinguished road

that's a pretty gnarly story...
Old 03-29-2012, 06:26 PM
Super-Experienced

Joe Johnston is on a distinguished road

Another concern with jacking - I have never jacked the rear of a car by using a floor jack on the diff center section. I always felt that was a lot of weight to pick up from the middle of any car, but have often seen guys do it with no apparent harm. Am I too cautious by jacking each rear individually? I have no issue placing a jack in the center on the front if there is a sturdy cross member, but placing a jack under the center of a rear just bugs me....
Old 03-29-2012, 08:41 PM
Super-Experienced

dgs is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYsquarebird58 View Post
So just to confirm: it’s perfectly safe to place my jack where I have indicated with the green arrow?

That's right where I put my jack when I lifted it in that shot. In fact, you can still see the jack in this shot (before I moved the stands to the front):

I still had my small 2 1/4 ton jack with limited travel at the time and since I needed to get the car up high to do the suspension, I had to do it in two stages, the second time placing the jack on a solid concrete block. Notice ho high I have the stands in that top image?

Someone mentioned how I had the stands turned sideways instead of front to back. There isn't room on that cross member to put them front to back, I don't believe, at least with my stands. There's a flange on the back side of it that prevents you from straddling the cross member in the U of the stand, so sideways made more sense.

Oh, and those are 3 ton Craftsman HD stands, pretty robust stuff. I think I still have a pair of old 3 leg 2 ton stands. I don't like to use them anymore, though, since I've got 4 of these nice, sturdy 4 legged ones.
Old 03-30-2012, 01:54 PM

Anders is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Johnston View Post
Another concern with jacking - I have never jacked the rear of a car by using a floor jack on the diff center section. I always felt that was a lot of weight to pick up from the middle of any car, but have often seen guys do it with no apparent harm. Am I too cautious by jacking each rear individually? I have no issue placing a jack in the center on the front if there is a sturdy cross member, but placing a jack under the center of a rear just bugs me....
I done it a few times. No problems. The load for the suspension is the same as when you drive the car. The 9" diff is a stong one.
Otherwise, when I just need to come under the car in the rear, I jack it on the crossmember that holds the bumper. Again, the bumper is designed to take the original jack, even though it will re-shape the lower part of the bumper quite bad. The only problem I have with jacking the car on the rear crossmember, is that it is located quite high, so with the rear overhang, you donīt get very high before the jack reach itīs full leingth. For that, I have made a special piece that fits the crossmember, and takes up some of the distance down to mother earth. Will post a pic later or tomorrow.
http://www.tbirdregistry.com/#33158
Old 03-30-2012, 04:14 PM
Slow Typist

simplyconnected is on a distinguished road

These cars are old, now. Rust continues to take its toll on everything including the rear diff tubes.

Whenever possible, I jack from under the spring perch. In the front, I use the lower shock mount. In the rear, I go under the coil or leaf spring perches. Then, I use the sub-frames for my jack stands. I spread the stands as far apart as I can, for stability. It's the difference between standing with your feet together, or spreading them apart.

After lowering the body onto the jack stands, my jack remains under a support point.

The number of Mechanic-deaths is always a mystery because nobody keeps those stat's. But, the 'rules' change as a result. In the old days, our houses never had outside receptacles. Now, not only are they mandatory, but they must be covered by Ground Fault Circuit Interrupters (GFCI's), and they must be 20-amp circuits. Same for your garage. People would electrocute themselves, under their own car! Think about it; we construct a tight confined space, then get in it, and introduce electric light bulbs, drill motors, grinders, etc.

There is potential for the car falling, and a tank of gasoline has enough energy to drive you 250 miles. Coolant mixed with electricity is the worst because it conducts much better than water.

Electrocution renders your muscles useless and if you're trapped under a car... Ever been burned by a trouble light? We all have. My trouble light has one of those 'twisted' bulbs in it from the dollar store. They never get hot, output far more light, and are much more shock resistant because there is no filament. Be safe and think about what could happen if... - Dave

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
--Lee Iacocca
Old 04-01-2012, 08:36 PM
Experienced

NYsquarebird58 is on a distinguished road

Here she is completely off the ground. I needed to let the rear suspension hang so that I could remove the rear wheel, so I relocated the jack stands. I was able to redo my fuel lines with plenty of room.