This will take you to the main site where there is history, technical information and other information on these cars.
This takes you back to the main page of the forums.
This is the control panel to change your password, information and preferences on this message board.
Click here if your lost your password or need to register on this message board. You must be a registered user to post. Registration is free.
Search this board for information you need.
Click here to buy cool Squarebirds mechandise.
Click here to support Squarebirds.org. For $20 annually receive 20mBytes webspace, a Squarebirds e-mail address and member's icon on the message board.
Old 03-26-2012, 05:39 PM

NewBird13 is on a distinguished road
Default Is this a 390 Truck Engine?

Hey all
I recently bought a rebuilt 390. When going over it I realized the casting number on the block says D3TE. I know the D3 is 1973 but I am unsure on the TE? I keep finding contradicting information on what is what.
If it is in fact a truck engine what changes will need to be made to compensate?
Thanks
Old 03-26-2012, 06:08 PM

It also has a mirror image 105 and an x on the block if this helps
Old 03-26-2012, 06:09 PM
Super-Experienced

gaffney1951 is on a distinguished road
Default It is ...

from a pickup truck. No changes required. Your thinking of the FT series engines (332,361,391) from the bigger trucks. Mike
Old 03-26-2012, 06:12 PM
Super-Experienced

gaffney1951 is on a distinguished road
Default Mirror 105 blocks ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewBird13 View Post
It also has a mirror image 105 and an x on the block if this helps
have the advantage of having the additional main webbing like the CJ blocks. Better than your average bear Boo Boo. Mike
Old 03-26-2012, 06:14 PM

Thats good to know Mike. Thanks a lot.

Last edited by NewBird13 : 03-26-2012 at 06:40 PM.
Old 03-29-2012, 10:23 AM
Experienced

juantejeda is on a distinguished road
Default Truck engine

Quote:
Hey all
I recently bought a rebuilt 390. When going over it I realized the casting number on the block says D3TE. I know the D3 is 1973 but I am unsure on the TE? I keep finding contradicting information on what is what.
If it is in fact a truck engine what changes will need to be made to compensate?
Thanks
Pretty sure that this is the block I have in my Squarebird. I was told that it was a truck engine when they restored the car. The original 351 couldn't be saved and they found a good truck block. I have never checked the Casting numbers, but I could.
Thunderbird Registry #7960
Old 03-29-2012, 04:12 PM
Experienced

Astrowing is on a distinguished road

It probably has a two barrel intake manifold and a truck cam though, does it not?

CLICK HERE for Jim's web site
Old 03-29-2012, 05:14 PM
Slow Typist

simplyconnected is on a distinguished road

Quote:
...If it is in fact a truck engine what changes will need to be made to compensate?
Thanks
I recently got the same block. Like Jim described...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Astrowing View Post
It probably has a two barrel intake manifold and a truck cam though, does it not?
It also had something I never heard of, lower compression pistons.

To directly answer your question, what are you trying to compensate for? Original Squarebirds used premium gas and higher compression ratios. Today, lower compression and regular gas sounds even better unless you're trying to race to the cruise. The block itself is beefier than a car block but the dimensions and crank are the same.

I am building this truck block for Penelope in Australia. He has desert conditions so I'm keeping as much aluminum as possible, 9.2:1 compression ratio, and roller cam for today's oil.

EDIT: In my estimation, the 1973 block is much better because of parts availability. But a word of caution... Mine came with a nylon timing set, and half the teeth were missing on the cam sprocket. True Roller timing sets are available everywhere for your '73 engine. I suggest you change yours ASAP. - Dave

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
--Lee Iacocca

Last edited by simplyconnected : 03-29-2012 at 05:18 PM.
Old 03-29-2012, 05:47 PM

thanks for all the information guys.
Dave, I will be using this vehicle as a summer cruiser, no track or anything. I guess I wasnt trying to compensate for anything with the new engine, just replacing a blown one.

Jim, to answer your question it has a 4 barrel intake and i havent gotten around to looking at the cam yet. What should I look for to identify it as a truck cam or not?
Old 03-30-2012, 09:23 AM
Experienced

Astrowing is on a distinguished road

A truck or RV cam is designed for better torque at lower RPMs and typically would have more lift and shorter duration. There would be a part number on it that you could use to figure out what type of cam it is. Also, if you think it is and original from a '73 truck there will probably be specs on it in the '73 truck manual that you could compare to Squarebirds specs. Short of that, you could degree the engine using a degree wheel and dial indicator and that will tell you what the lift is, lobe separation and where it is installed. It is highly recommended that you do this when replacing your timing chain whether you leave the cam as is or change it in any case. Be aware that pre-'63 cams and timing chains are different and not interchangeable with the later FE ones. From your planned usage, I think you would be happy with a truck/RV cam in any case.

CLICK HERE for Jim's web site