This will take you to the main site where there is history, technical information and other information on these cars.
This takes you back to the main page of the forums.
This is the control panel to change your password, information and preferences on this message board.
Click here if your lost your password or need to register on this message board. You must be a registered user to post. Registration is free.
Search this board for information you need.
Click here to buy cool Squarebirds mechandise.
Click here to support Squarebirds.org. For $20 annually receive 20mBytes webspace, a Squarebirds e-mail address and member's icon on the message board.
Old 03-23-2012, 05:11 PM
Experienced

newbird59 is on a distinguished road
Default Power window assembly

Hey guys. I have been working on my power window assembly and motors for the last few days. I have taken everything apart and greased the gearing and tested the motor. I've also painted everything with a rust proof coating. Is there anything I'm leaving out before putting it back in the doors? I'm new at this.

The only things ive replaced are the regulator rollers and channel felt. Here are some before and after photos.

Old 03-23-2012, 05:51 PM
Apprentice

stu454bb is on a distinguished road

Well they certainly look good. If the motors are working correctly I recon you are good to go. I am having dramas with three out of four electric window motors so far. Its just more money I keep telling myself. Stu
Old 03-23-2012, 05:52 PM
Excellent Auto Mechanic for over 40 years.

jopizz is on a distinguished road

Did you take the spring off? The mistake most people (including myself) make is not putting it back on with the correct tension and the window won't go back up.
Old 03-23-2012, 05:59 PM
Experienced

Thanks for your input. I'll wait a day and see if anyone else has anything to say about it.

Stu, I have some spare motors off of another tbird I have. I'll see if they work and maybe I'll sell them to you cheap. I wouldn't have a need for them. Let me know if this interests you as I know they could be over 100 bucks per motor.

edit: per motor if you buy them online.

David

Last edited by newbird59 : 03-23-2012 at 08:06 PM.
Old 03-23-2012, 06:26 PM
Experienced

Yes, I took it off but I made sure that I took photos of the parts before and after to know how many "teeth" we're tensioned to the gear. I made sure it matched exactly just for that reason. Was that a mistake?
Old 03-23-2012, 06:50 PM
Excellent Auto Mechanic for over 40 years.

jopizz is on a distinguished road

Sounds like you're a lot smarter than I was the first time I did one. It should be fine.
Old 03-23-2012, 08:08 PM
Experienced

Oh good. pheww...I thought that I would have to buy new ones or something.

thanks jopizz!
Old 03-24-2012, 03:31 AM
Apprentice

rannugno is on a distinguished road

If the motors runs but not sounds well, it's possible to fix them. The problem is that the axles have some cloth with oil in in both ends of the axle, which have dried out. Drill a small hole next to the axle and fill with oil. I've done this with several bad and noisy motors and after they run as new. Worth to try before buying a new motor.
Old 03-24-2012, 06:34 AM
Slow Typist

simplyconnected is on a distinguished road

I'm with Gunnar. In Detroit, we had a small company called, Permawick. They ground up regular brown kraft paper and mixed it with straight 30W oil, then injected it into electric motor bearing cavities on each shaft end. Then they sealed the bearings forever. That was back in the 1960's. Motors still use the same method, today.

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
--Lee Iacocca
Old 03-25-2012, 07:54 AM
Apprentice

stu454bb is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the offer David. I will keep it in mind. I have two spare motore that are seized up. A mate is having a look at all of them. Hopefully I can get some of them going. Stu