This will take you to the main site where there is history, technical information and other information on these cars.
This takes you back to the main page of the forums.
This is the control panel to change your password, information and preferences on this message board.
Click here if your lost your password or need to register on this message board. You must be a registered user to post. Registration is free.
Search this board for information you need.
Click here to buy cool Squarebirds mechandise.
Click here to support Squarebirds.org. For $20 annually receive 20mBytes webspace, a Squarebirds e-mail address and member's icon on the message board.
Old 03-07-2012, 12:38 AM
Experienced

Griffin is on a distinguished road
Default Opinions on a 59 coupe

Hi all

I wasn’t looking for a coupe but this car looks pretty wild. On the down side it has a modified interior and non-original bigger motor (and external colour?) but it also has disc brakes and air con and a ton of money spent on it. Does anyone know this car? What do you think?

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/nby/cto/2884611003.html

Regards

Mark
Old 03-07-2012, 04:01 AM
Slow Typist

simplyconnected is on a distinguished road

Somehow I don't see a power brake booster. Maybe it has manual brakes.

I see no pics of the bottom, so you need Ray's new check list for used car buyers. - Dave

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
--Lee Iacocca
Old 03-07-2012, 05:23 AM

Anders is on a distinguished road

Funny seat pattern but the car looks good. I woul´d change the steering wheel though.
http://www.tbirdregistry.com/#33158
Old 03-07-2012, 06:32 AM
Experienced

I agree. The car looks good although there are no pictures of the underneath or the trunk. I have Ray's check list ready to go and I have someone in California to check out cars for me. Because I'm doing this from 7,500 miles away it's just a little easier if someone on the forum is familiar with the car.

Already I've noticed that the compliance plate looks like it has non-original rivets so it must have been removed and replaced. The Internet is a wonderful thing. I've learned that the car is listed on the California Classic Cars website located at Santa Rosa for $25,000 or best offer. It is also listed at a dealer in Benicia CA for $19990. The Craigslist advert is the most recent. A little bit of research is always useful.

Mark
Old 03-07-2012, 09:00 AM
Super-Experienced

Dakota Boy is on a distinguished road

It would be crazy that someone would spend that sort of money on the paint without fixing any rust issues underneath; but I suppose anything is possible.

It looks like a really nice car. (minus the steering wheel)
Old 03-07-2012, 10:03 AM
Excellent Auto Mechanic for over 40 years.

jopizz is on a distinguished road

How much money was spent on it is irrelevent. The car is only worth what the market says it is and right now the market for coupes is very soft. Unless the car is a bone stock 300 point trophy winner I wouldn't even consider spending that much money on it. I would make an offer on this one first if you're thinking about spending that kind of money. Highly documented, all original with 16,000 miles. It was featured in the VTCI scoop when it was originally located a number of years ago.

http://www.cars.com/go/search/detail...ingId=85261074

John
Old 03-07-2012, 01:30 PM
Super-Experienced

RustyNCa is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Griffin View Post
I agree. The car looks good although there are no pictures of the underneath or the trunk. I have Ray's check list ready to go and I have someone in California to check out cars for me. Because I'm doing this from 7,500 miles away it's just a little easier if someone on the forum is familiar with the car.

Already I've noticed that the compliance plate looks like it has non-original rivets so it must have been removed and replaced. The Internet is a wonderful thing. I've learned that the car is listed on the California Classic Cars website located at Santa Rosa for $25,000 or best offer. It is also listed at a dealer in Benicia CA for $19990. The Craigslist advert is the most recent. A little bit of research is always useful.

Mark
Hmm, I know a guy in Santa Rosa, he is supposed to be a car guy, he worked or works for a shop in Santa Rosa that is affliated with SoCal somehow.

But in my opinion, the sterring wheel doesn't go with the car, neither does the diamond tuck seat pattern. I personally never liked that style of rim either.

Out here rusty generally isn't as big an issue, but it does still happen.
Old 03-07-2012, 02:15 PM
Super-Experienced

scumdog is on a distinguished road

You could pay more than that in NZ dollars (US $20,000 = just under NZ $25,000) for a '59 coupe in NZ - and it would not be in that condition otherwise it would be NZ$35,000 +.

Often they are NZ $20,000 here for one just imported they may have worn suspension, bad brakes, fumey motor, slipping trans, the paint would need some attention, carpet shot etc etc.

Issues I noticed on the one above: cable-tieing the spark-plug leads together, brake-pedal rubber looked pretty worn, front edge of carpets seemed cut off too short (can see the edge under the dash) and the boot (trunk) lid did not sem a good fit - maybe they are all like that?
Old 03-07-2012, 04:39 PM
Experienced

Too true Scumdog. The newly imported hardtops here in Oz start at around 15000 and they always need work. If you factor in the cost of getting them here plus a bit of profit for the seller they must have been bought fairly cheaply in the US.

Still, I appreciate everyone's comments on relative values. Perhaps this is why the seller brought the price down from 25k to under 20k so.
Mark
Old 03-09-2012, 03:16 PM
Experienced

newbird59 is on a distinguished road

Mark,

If you are interested in the tbird, I could always look at it for you and take some photos. I live in Napa and will be working Santa Rosa for 4-6 weeks.

David