This will take you to the main site where there is history, technical information and other information on these cars.
This takes you back to the main page of the forums.
This is the control panel to change your password, information and preferences on this message board.
Click here if your lost your password or need to register on this message board. You must be a registered user to post. Registration is free.
Search this board for information you need.
Click here to buy cool Squarebirds mechandise.
Click here to support Squarebirds.org. For $20 annually receive 20mBytes webspace, a Squarebirds e-mail address and member's icon on the message board.
Old 03-06-2012, 03:49 PM

Doc Love is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimz Bird View Post
Looks NICE!

Is that Inca Gold (Y) or Sun Gold (G) on the Data Plate?

I like the Gold. I was looking for a Goldenglow Yellow 56 when I came across the Thunderbird Green.

Here is another useful site for general 55-57 info.
http://portholeauthority.com/thunder...C/indextb.html

Dot Lang who is one of the "Grand Dames" of Thunderbird Lore and History has that site. She also has a 57.

The 351 looks great in there. Does it look like there were any major problems getting it in there? I would suppose the performance is a lot better than our old Y-Blocks. It still looks like a tight fit to add a booster on the firewall from what I can see.

Since the booster was disconnected were there also other changes made to the brake system? Does it have a dual Master Cylinder?

I see you have a '65 Vette also. I graduated from HS in 65 and always had a fondness for that year. Drop in a pic of that if you get a chance. What are you running in it?

This car was originally Raven black with red interior, at some point in it's life it got a make over. My wife likes the yellow so if I can save the paint I will (it's not real good). Further she wants white interior!

Our '65 Vette is a real 396 car, we bought it as a basket case in 2004 and did a complete frame off resto. Fortunately the TBird doesn't need that amount of work.
I tried to attache a pic of it but I keep getting the dreaded red X
Old 03-06-2012, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Looks NICE!

Is that Inca Gold (Y) or Sun Gold (G) on the Data Plate?

I like the Gold. I was looking for a Goldenglow Yellow 56 when I came across the Thunderbird Green.

Here is another useful site for general 55-57 info.
http://portholeauthority.com/thunder...C/indextb.html

Dot Lang who is one of the "Grand Dames" of Thunderbird Lore and History has that site. She also has a 57.

The 351 looks great in there. Does it look like there were any major problems getting it in there? I would suppose the performance is a lot better than our old Y-Blocks. It still looks like a tight fit to add a booster on the firewall from what I can see.

Since the booster was disconnected were there also other changes made to the brake system? Does it have a dual Master Cylinder?

I see you have a '65 Vette also. I graduated from HS in 65 and always had a fondness for that year. Drop in a pic of that if you get a chance. What are you running in it?

The Tbird was originally black (AA) with red interior (XH), but sometime in it's life it got a make over. My wife likes the yellow so I will try to save it, it's not real good, an older paint job. Further she wants white interior! So returning it to it's original color combo may not happen. But I never say never.

Our '65 Vette is a real 396 car we bought as a basket case in 2004, this car is restored to it's original configuration (to the best of my ability).

Old 03-07-2012, 08:25 PM
Experienced

Jimz Bird is on a distinguished road

Pretty Vette! That is really sharp.

I had forgotten about the Turbo Jet 396s with that unique hood.

They have a whole different rumble that sounds really mean.

I probably would keep the wife happy and the yellow is more unique than the black.

CLICK HERE for Jimz web site
Old 03-09-2012, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Pretty Vette! That is really sharp.

I had forgotten about the Turbo Jet 396s with that unique hood.

They have a whole different rumble that sounds really mean.

I probably would keep the wife happy and the yellow is more unique than the black.

The Vette is an absolute BEAST to drive, 450hp and no power anything. One really needs to pay attention with it.

We had been looking for a '57 TBird for almost two years and most of what I looked at were rust buckets. This car is the best example out of several, with the exception of pristine originals that is.

Once the brakes are done I'll make sure the steering and suspension are secure, then sort out the drivetrain. We may need a new gas tank, time will tell.

CASCO was prompt with delivery of their catalog and it seems they have all the parts for the brake system. My plan is to start that work mid-April.

I'll keep you posted with progress.

Thanks again for the welcome and parts suppliers.

Best,

Mark
Old 03-09-2012, 10:30 PM
Experienced

Jimz Bird is on a distinguished road

Now THAT is a Vette!!! I like up to the 67s. 68 on and especially the new ones are just not of the style I like.
I'll bet it is a rush.

Glad it looks like you can get what you need fairly easily.

Front and rear sway bars are on my list also.

I was just about ready to start my break work when I developed some fuel problems. Fuel pump went out and with everyone on the other threads talking of gas tanks I ran my bore scope down in mine and it is in pretty bad shape.

I just ordered a stainless steel tank and will be replacing that before the brakes. It was a toss-up to go with the regular tank or stainless but thought it better to go with the stainless. Plan to have that done in the next couple of weeks. I'll post pics and a narrative when I get started. I'm going to put in an electric fuel pump also.

CLICK HERE for Jimz web site
Old 03-09-2012, 11:13 PM
Super-Experienced

scumdog is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Love View Post

Argh!! was the politest thought that went through my head when I saw the 'non-detail' on that motor, what were they thinking???

One can only hope the car wasn't parked with the hood open to 'show-off' the motor too often...

Never mind, it will tidy-up and look real smart in no time!

Oh, and the car looks real nice, quite keen on '57 'birds, you're a lucky guy.
Old 08-05-2012, 11:22 PM
Super-Experienced

gaffney1951 is on a distinguished road
Default Nice car ...

and I can abide the later small block, but that HEI style dist is just wrong. Mike
Old 08-25-2012, 05:00 PM

I haven't had a chance to post here for a while. The distributor/wires, brakes, exhaust, cooling system, parking lights and wheels/tires are new. I've had to rewire quite a bit under the hood and under dash, it was a mess in some places.
We have been busy though. Here are a couple of recent photo's.

Old 08-25-2012, 06:39 PM
Slow Typist

simplyconnected is on a distinguished road

Nice work and it looks beautiful. I'm glad you kept the electric fan.

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
--Lee Iacocca
Old 08-25-2012, 06:44 PM
KULTULZ

Thumbs up

I understand that you are not concerned about a dedicated restoration but want to keep the eng/trans conversion and make the brakes safe for the street?

This engine bay brings back a memory that I still laugh at. I once went to a restoration shop and noticed the owner had a very nice 57 FORD Fairlane 500. I asked if I could see the engine and he opened the hood and stood back.

I looked for a few minutes impressed with the 312 I thought I was looking at but something(s) did not seem quite right. I looked back at him and he had a possum smile on his face. I looked again and finally realized what he had done.

He did a 351W/AOD swap and made the engine appear as the correct 312 of the period. I turned and smiled and he said he didn't know how many he had fooled at cars shows their thinking it was the correct engine. I need to get back up there and get photos. You can also make yours appear as OEM and still enjoy the later drive-train.

The booster asm. you have is a Midland Hy-Power Booster and can be rebuilt if you want that look. FORD also had a later model year system that had the booster behind the firewall @ the pedal asm and a remotve vacuum canister on the left fender apron. It is barely noticeable and of course takes no more under-hood space than the manual setup.

I think where you want to go with this is RESTO-MOD whereas the car appears OEM but has been upgraded. I understand completely.

As for the four wheel drum, there are several material upgrades that allow it to respond as if it had disc.

If you need any advice or help. I would be pleased to supply the info.