This will take you to the main site where there is history, technical information and other information on these cars.
This takes you back to the main page of the forums.
This is the control panel to change your password, information and preferences on this message board.
Click here if your lost your password or need to register on this message board. You must be a registered user to post. Registration is free.
Search this board for information you need.
Click here to buy cool Squarebirds mechandise.
Click here to support Squarebirds.org. For $20 annually receive 20mBytes webspace, a Squarebirds e-mail address and member's icon on the message board.
Old 03-03-2012, 05:13 AM
Apprentice

stu454bb is on a distinguished road
Default Dropped spindles

I have searched the threads with no luck. Is anyone running the Fatmmans drop spindles. I cant find it listed in their catalog. Is the brake setup easy to obtain and do they work well. I'm running 15'' Customline rims. Will they clear the calipers. Is a squarebird too low with a 3'' drop. If I get them I'll have to pay heaps for postage, so gotta make sure their worth it. Stu
Old 03-03-2012, 06:08 AM
Slow Typist

simplyconnected is on a distinguished road

You are talking about using Mustang/Granada spindles. They work very well and drop about 2". Just about any 15" wheel will work; it's the 14" that you must be picky about. Only wheels made for disk brakes will work in the 14" (like Granada or Versailes wheels). Download and READ THIS PDF file, as it also applies to Squarebirds and Mustangs.

It is important to use a combination proportioning valve, as disk brakes require a lot more hydraulic pressure than shoe brakes. Buy a new one from Old Irish Dave. If you find the rear wheels are still locking up before the fronts, you can run with smaller diameter rear wheel cylinders.

Hope this helps. I've done two Fords; my '55 Customline and '59 Galaxie.

If you need or can't find proper brake line or fittings, let me know. - Dave

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
--Lee Iacocca
Old 03-03-2012, 06:54 AM
Apprentice

Thanks Dave, very interesting instructional site. Makes me wonder if our Aussie built falcons may have interchangeable spindles and rotors. I thought Fatman Fabrications was making drop spindles for square birds now. Think I'll check out local stuff first. What year model Mustang spindles will work, Stu
Old 03-03-2012, 02:30 PM
Slow Typist

simplyconnected is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by stu454bb View Post
What year model Mustang spindles will work, Stu
Stu, why not keep your Squarebird spindles? All the geometry is correct and you don't need to change any ball joints or tie rods.

Ray Clark, Howard Prout, myself, and others are using Scarebird brackets that bolt right on to your existing spindles. No machining, either.

I used the Granada setup in our '55 Customline and it works well, but I uses the Scarebird brackets in our '59 Galaxie (which has the identical spindles as your car). It works just like a modern disc brake car.

Another benefit of Scarebird brackets is, you can buy a Mustang rotor that uses your original bearings and seals, and the snouts are the same as your originals. Again, no machining, and all parts are 'over the counter'. The Scarebird setup uses S-10 calipers and pads. 14" disk brake wheels fit this setup, so you can use your original hubcaps. Any 15" wheel will also fit.

My local auto parts store carries five choices of pads for that caliper. I use the softest ones because they stop the fastest and never squeal. They also wear out faster but are kindest to the rotors. They change-out in about ten minutes and are inexpensive.

What a world of difference disk brakes make. No fading, no pulling to the side, they dry immediately if wet, and they stop every bit like a modern car. I will never go back to front shoe brakes. You're going to need seat belts if you do a high speed panic stop, especially for your passengers. - Dave

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
--Lee Iacocca
Old 03-03-2012, 04:36 PM
Apprentice

Thanks Dave, I think you have changed my mind. I'll contact Scarebird and see what he can do for me.I think I could get S-10 calipers locally and rotors would not be a problem. Stu
Old 03-03-2012, 04:53 PM
Super-Experienced and a HELLOFA nice guy

YellowRose is on a distinguished road
Default Dropped spindles

As I recall, those who have used Granada spindles can have a problem with their alignment. Using the set up that Howard and Dave and I are using, with our original Tbird spindles, there will be no problems with alignment I am told. Someone correct me if I am wrong, but that is what I remember reading.

Ray Clark - Squarebirds Administrator
'59 Tbird "The Yellow Rose Of Texas" aka "Tweety Bird"
"It's Hip To Be Square"
Thunderbird Registry #33025 VTCI #11178

rayclark07"at"att.net (Home) 210-674-5781 (Cell) 210-875-1411
http://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm

Last edited by YellowRose : 03-06-2012 at 11:22 AM.
Old 03-06-2012, 11:26 AM
Super-Experienced

DKheld is on a distinguished road

Stu,

I used the Granada spindles - did my conversion about 7 years ago before the scarebird brackets were available. It was a real pain to find someone to work with me on the alignment. Finally found a shop that had been in business since the 40's and they really knew the old cars. Went back a few times to tweak the settings and finally got it dialed in. Planned on going back the following week to get the specs so that I would have them for future reference. The shop went out of business so I never got the specs - now I'll have to start all over again.

If I ever have a failure of the system I have now I'll seriously consider putting my original spindles on with the scarebird brackets rather than trying to fix mine and find another alignment shop that won't say "we can set it by the book for that year car and that's about it". Must have gone to 5 shops that said that.

I measured my car before and after the installation of the Granada spindles and they may have lowered the car 1/2 to 3/4 inches - nothing like 2 inches. Be nice/interesting to find someone with a stock car and compare to mine now that the rebuilt suspension has had time to settle.

I used 14 inch 70's LTD wheels to clear the calipers and center stub on the disc. Probably only be able to find those at a swap meet these days - all the junk yards have turned them into Kia's (one wheel = 1 Kia...... heh heh).

Eric
registry 5347

If someone trys to sell you later model Tbird spindles they don't work - been there. The wheels stick way to far out in the wheel wells and you can't adjust out all the + camber. The blue line in the pic below shows how much further out the later Tbird spindles are at the top. You can also see from this pic that the Granada axle is not much higher on the spindle than the stock Tbird axle so it doesn't lower the car that much.

Last edited by DKheld : 03-06-2012 at 11:37 AM. Reason: added info
Old 03-06-2012, 01:52 PM
Apprentice

Great info and pics Eric. For those of you with the Scarebird kit, what is included in the kit.
Old 03-10-2012, 12:14 AM
Apprentice

mattyel is on a distinguished road

http://www.google.com.au/url?sa=t&rc...V6QURP9_k2gbvQ

These guys do a complete front end disk break/2 1/2 inch drop spindle kit. I'm not sure on the size of the disk that comes with it but judging by the picture it looks like a "factory" style set up. I have just sent him an email asking what sizes he does them in as I am also looking for a drop-disk set up but I want at least 12" disks
Old 03-10-2012, 10:11 PM
Super-Experienced

DKheld is on a distinguished road

Pretty sure those are the characters that sold me my first "kit" that did not work using '77 Tbird spindles (or full size Ford spindles). They could have changed their kit in the past 7 or so years but PLEASE read the disc brake thread and ask them questions. Have them send pictures of COMPETED conversions, alignment specs, etc. See just how much they do know.

The kits for full size Fords do not work on the Tbird - the front end is completely different between the two styles of cars. And to show you how much they DON"T know they advertise that their dual master cyl will bolt right to your original firewall mount or booster - ask for pictures of that - bet their master cyl has 2 larger holes and the original mount is 4 smaller bolts. It might bolt to 2 of the 4 studs but you won't get me to ride in that car. All I can say is I hope you have good insurance and an even better lawyer.

You are welcome to believe what they tell you but I can say I have actually DONE a conversion. The Granada spindles did not drop the car 2 1/2 inches. Can't wait to see what they have to say.

Eric
registry 5347

These pictures were taken after the conversion.