This will take you to the main site where there is history, technical information and other information on these cars.
This takes you back to the main page of the forums.
This is the control panel to change your password, information and preferences on this message board.
Click here if your lost your password or need to register on this message board. You must be a registered user to post. Registration is free.
Search this board for information you need.
Click here to buy cool Squarebirds mechandise.
Click here to support Squarebirds.org. For $20 annually receive 20mBytes webspace, a Squarebirds e-mail address and member's icon on the message board.
Old 03-04-2012, 01:52 PM
Experienced

lawyercalif is on a distinguished road

Does the Hub Spacer come with the Scarebird brackets?
Old 03-04-2012, 02:06 PM
Super-Experienced and a HELLOFA nice guy

YellowRose is on a distinguished road
Default "Tweety Bird" Gets Disc Brakes & More

Yup! They do! My hub spacers were wired to the Scarebird mounting brackets.

Ray Clark - Squarebirds Administrator
'59 Tbird "The Yellow Rose Of Texas" aka "Tweety Bird"
"It's Hip To Be Square"
Thunderbird Registry #33025 VTCI #11178

rayclark07"at"att.net (Home) 210-674-5781 (Cell) 210-875-1411
http://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm

Last edited by YellowRose : 03-05-2012 at 12:38 AM.
Old 03-06-2012, 11:06 AM
Super-Experienced

DKheld is on a distinguished road

You're going to love the disc's Ray - can't wait to hear your response. Great pictures - let's everyone see what's involved.

Like always happens with my projects I see you had problems you didn't expect.......typical with any modification.....

Eric
Old 03-18-2012, 02:47 AM

The disc brake and dual MC/2 Stage Power Booster work continued again yesterday, after rain and cold weather delays. Unfortunately what we thought was going to to be a 2-3 hour job, turned into a 7 hour one... And the work is not finished yet... Rich took off the old lines up front (the line to the rear is fine). Then he started flaring a new line to the front right brake and installed it onto the brake and the combination valve. Then he did the same for the left front brake and hooked it up to the combo valve and then hooked up the rear brakes to the combo valve. This cunifer EZ Bend brake line tubing that I got from Dave Dare is the cats meow! It is easy to work with and bend. So is the flaring tool kit that Dave loaned me.

Then the fun began... We were missing an adapter to one side of the MC. It must have rolled off where we had it into the lawn and we could not find it. I bet my lawnmower finds it when I cut the grass next time! Sooo, off I went on a long trip to find a replacement and after visiting all the major auto parts places, and looking through a lot of parts bins, I finally found one an hour or so later. In the meantime, Rich was doing other work that he could do, like run the lines from the MC to the combo valve, hook up the T connector and vacuum tubing to the vacuum line and to the new 2 Stage booster, leaving the KH unit in the line as Howard did.

Along the way, he bench bled the master cylinder and that was looking good. Then the next disaster struck... and by this time it was well into the afternoon. While checking all the brake lines, flexible brake lines, etc., for leaks, we discovered that we had a leaking connection on one side of the MC. That took some doing, but he got it tightened up to the point where it stopped leaking. Then.... we discovered that the brake line to the right front brake was leaking like a sieve at the banjo bolt. He tried to tighten that up, put in new copper washers, but it still leaked, so he took it loose. That is when he said he saw that it had a defective connection... The top side that screws into the brake line was fine, but the other end was bad, an out of box failure.

So off I went looking for a new flexible hose, a Raybestos BH36646, but I did not know the actual part number until later on. I took the defective one with me, and was using the number on the brake line to reference. Well, I should have gone to the computer and checked the actual part number, because the guys at the various auto parts stores could not find that part number that was on the brake line. It was an incomplete part number. I should have also written down the years and makes of cars that line was used on. Mostly Buicks, a Caddy, and Chevys in the '71-'73, '77-'78 year range, but I did not remember that. So I was having no luck finding a replacement. I also learned it is not a good idea to throw away the box these parts came in until AFTER you have everything on, in place and working.

So I was not helping myself or the auto parts guys in my search for something that would be a good replacement. I found out, after the fact, that not one of the major auto parts stores stock this part. Only Pep Boys do, according to the Raybestos website, and they were out. I know that RockAuto does stock it because I think that was who I bought it from, and they have it listed on their website. So I will probably order another one from them.

By this time, it was late in the afternoon, and we stopped for the day, without a flexible brake hose on the right side. He put a short piece of tubing on that right side brake line, and crimped it to keep all the brake fluid from leaking out. Eventually, it got to the point were we could not do much more, and he had to leave to take care of other business. So after about 3-4 hours longer than we expected, we put her back on the ground and promptly found out I still did not have any brakes... But I was able to get her back in the garage safely, using the emergency brake to stop her, until the next time we can work on her, after I get a new brake line. Maybe the next time will be the charm.... I hope... The best laid plans of mice and men oft go astray....Here are some more pix...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMGP5735.JPG (60.2 KB, 140 views)
File Type: jpg IMGP5736.JPG (110.9 KB, 140 views)
File Type: jpg IMGP5737.JPG (57.7 KB, 142 views)
File Type: jpg IMGP5738.JPG (81.8 KB, 143 views)
File Type: jpg IMGP5740.JPG (80.4 KB, 141 views)
File Type: jpg IMGP5742.JPG (81.3 KB, 140 views)

"It's Hip To Be Square"

Last edited by YellowRose : 03-18-2012 at 02:49 AM.
Old 03-18-2012, 05:26 AM
Slow Typist

simplyconnected is on a distinguished road

Nice bend job. Ray, where's your Brake Lights switch?
Remember, DOT-3 is Glycol-based, so plain water will wash it off your driveway.

The only improvement I can see would be a little engine paint on your calipers and a little on your hubs. The rest looks really good!

So, all you need now is a front hose, and your system bled.

BTW, the hose you need is for Buick- 86 vehicles, Cadillac-3 vehicles, Chevrolet-116 vehicles, GMC-6 vehicles, Oldsmobile-67 vehicles, Pontiac-117 vehicles:
OReilley's---$11.49--Part# BH73305 (8 stores in San Antonio)
Auto Zone--$21.98--Part# BH36646
NAPA--------$10.99--Part# BH36646

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
--Lee Iacocca
Old 03-18-2012, 11:37 AM

Thanks for the information, Dave! I will wash down my driveway when we are finished. I wish I had caught you home yesterday. You probably would have been able to give me the right information I needed to find that brake hose. With the information you just provided, I should be able to get the right one at O'Reilly's, which is only a few blocks away from me, as is Autozone, but theirs must be gold plated! I am going to Napa, which has it cheaper but is further away.

Yes, I think Rich did a nice job bending the tubing, which is really easy to do with the cunifer EZ bend brake line.

As for the brake light switch he did not put it on yet, but will of course. He also has to splice in some new wiring to it and put on the two new bullet connectors I got. It will be on the passenger side of the MC.

I will tell him what you said about putting some engine paint on the calipers and hubs.

I called NAPA and gave them that BH36646 part number and it did not come up. So he looked it up as 36646 and they have two of them in stock. So I will go get one. And I just did! It cost $9.69 and $10.68 with tax. It looks exactly like the one we took off. I looked at that end where it was leaking, and I cannot see any difference between the two of them. But the one we had on her was leaking bad there. We will see what this one does, hopefully, next Friday.

"It's Hip To Be Square"

Last edited by YellowRose : 03-18-2012 at 01:40 PM.
Old 03-18-2012, 03:18 PM
Slow Typist

Quote:
Originally Posted by YellowRose View Post
...As for the brake light switch he did not put it on yet, but will of course...
Huh? How can he bleed brakes without the brake switch plumbed? Better tell him to do that and the hose before bleeding.

The brake line bending pliers do a great job of bending in tight places or when two bends are back-to-back.

--Lee Iacocca
Old 03-18-2012, 03:32 PM
Super-Experienced and Proud Kentuckian who bleeds Ford Blue.

Richard D. Hord is on a distinguished road

Looking good!
Richard D. Hord
Registry #33436
Old 03-18-2012, 06:20 PM

Anders is on a distinguished road

Looks Great Ray!
http://www.tbirdregistry.com/#33158
Old 03-28-2012, 01:46 PM
Slow Typist

So??? Now that you have power disk brakes, tell us how they are. It seems like the headlight switch catastrophe took over, then we never heard any more about the brakes. What's up? - Dave

--Lee Iacocca