This will take you to the main site where there is history, technical information and other information on these cars.
This takes you back to the main page of the forums.
This is the control panel to change your password, information and preferences on this message board.
Click here if your lost your password or need to register on this message board. You must be a registered user to post. Registration is free.
Search this board for information you need.
Click here to buy cool Squarebirds mechandise.
Click here to support Squarebirds.org. For $20 annually receive 20mBytes webspace, a Squarebirds e-mail address and member's icon on the message board.
Old 03-04-2012, 06:09 PM
John

JohnG is on a distinguished road

Jim - thanks! Good job!!!

John
Old 03-05-2012, 09:51 AM
Experienced

Astrowing is on a distinguished road

If you add an electric fuel pump, you need to remove the old mechanical one. If you leave the old one in place, the failure mode that puts gas in the oil is still there. I wouldn't want anyone to be thinking that they've converted to electric and therefore don't have to be as vigilant checking oil level and for the presence of gas.

I'm hearing that Y-blocks and the FE's use the same fuel pump, and you would think they would still be manufactured since they were used until about 1976 in trucks. I think the problem with the 223 pumps in particular, is that they are NOS meaning the rubber may be really old and they've sat on the shelf for years. And were manufactured well before anyone ever dreamed of ethanol in gas. Does anyone know material-wise what they are changing to be more compatible with ethanol? What should one look for in a rebuild kit?

CLICK HERE for Jim's web site
Old 03-05-2012, 03:06 PM
Experienced

Jimz Bird is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astrowing View Post
I'm hearing that Y-blocks and the FE's use the same fuel pump, and you would think they would still be manufactured since they were used until about 1976 in trucks.
Dave D will know for sure if they will work but the part#'s are different at RockAuto and they do have them.

The Ford Parts Interchange lists separate part #'s for 55-57, 58, 59. For the 60 it lists the same one for without vacuum assist for Ford 60-62 292,352 - Edsel 60 292,352 - Mercury 61-62 292, 352,390 and Tbird 60-62 352,390.

So I am a bit confused - Dave will know.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IC1.jpg (31.1 KB, 52 views)
File Type: jpg IC2.jpg (3.7 KB, 51 views)
File Type: jpg IC3.jpg (13.5 KB, 51 views)

CLICK HERE for Jimz web site

Last edited by Jimz Bird : 03-05-2012 at 03:43 PM.
Old 03-05-2012, 04:21 PM
Super-Experienced

Joe Johnston is on a distinguished road

While the main part of the pump may be "alike" some models had a glass filter bowl, others (little Birds) were the dual action for vacuum assist, and still others may have the bottom "clocked" in a different orientation. All may be the same basic pump with exterior differences and therefor a different part number.

Dave - straighten us out!
Old 03-05-2012, 05:12 PM
Slow Typist

simplyconnected is on a distinguished road

Joe hit the nail on the head. It's like asking if windows fit a house. There are so many variations of the same size it isn't funny. Some FE's need vacuum for their wipers, others have electric wipers. Some use the metal screw-off filter can, others don't. Most (including Y-Blocks) simply have an arm that rides on the cam eccentric 3" to 4-1/2" from the timing cover face.

it makes no sense to crank a whole engine just to work that little lever up and down, after the car sits for a month. And John G is right about jeopardizing your engine for a minor gas leak.

My suggestion is also to go with an electric pump and cover the opening with a plate and a gasket. The main idea is to deliver gas BEFORE the engine cranks, and electric pumps do that nicely. There has been concern over too much pressure coming from the pump. My auto parts store carries a low-pressure regulator because your carb only needs a few pounds at the inlet (not 10-30). Modern pumps do modern fuel very well.

I would put the pump as close to the tank as possible (to keep the suction side short) but not in the trunk (just in case). There is plenty of room above the axle, in free air, safely away from any enclosed space. I would also filter AFTER the pump, at the engine, using a modern large metal filter (as someone mentioned). I look at the filters for Mustangs, Crown Vic's, etc., and they are just fine. It is nice to see through plastic, but Ford filters are all metal for good reasons.

I use plastic vinyl tubing as a 'test' to see my fuel flowing as I watch for bubbles or debris. Then, I promptly replace with real line. BTW, when fuel is under positive pressure, there is no such thing as, cavitation or 'vapor lock', not even in elevation.

The relay circuit is ok but, I'd still rather use the mechanical pendulum switch commonly found on most all cars and trucks. The pendulum switch works differently, shutting off the fuel upon any abrupt hit from any direction. Otherwise, it is on all the time. There are only two wires that connect to the pump in series. The pendulum switch can be in the trunk because there are no vapors, just electric wires. You can also use this circuit for security. No fuel means no engine running, no matter how long it cranks. Endless possibilities, here. Hope this helps. - Dave

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
--Lee Iacocca