This will take you to the main site where there is history, technical information and other information on these cars.
This takes you back to the main page of the forums.
This is the control panel to change your password, information and preferences on this message board.
Click here if your lost your password or need to register on this message board. You must be a registered user to post. Registration is free.
Search this board for information you need.
Click here to buy cool Squarebirds mechandise.
Click here to support Squarebirds.org. For $20 annually receive 20mBytes webspace, a Squarebirds e-mail address and member's icon on the message board.
Old 11-12-2012, 05:32 AM
Slow Typist

simplyconnected is on a distinguished road

I simply cut the center out of my Heat Riser Valve with a cutting torch. Then I left the holes filled (they're pretty solid). Mine has the counterweight and spring on the outside which looks stock, but nothing moves. I also agree that, you already have one that you're going to throw out. Save twenty bucks and use it.

If you don't have a torch, most muffler shops would be glad to cut it out for you. Nothing here affects emissions.

The heat riser valve speeds the engine warming process. Without it, your engine will still get hot, but 1/2-mile later. In this day of 'fuel economy' being king, the benefits of a flow-thru exhaust far outweigh faster warmup.

BTW, as I mentioned over the phone, when your heat riser valve sticks shut, not only is the exhaust restricted but your cooling system must get rid of the excess exhaust heat crossing over your intake manifold. An unrestricted exhaust carries the heat away. - Dave

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
--Lee Iacocca
Old 02-26-2013, 01:35 AM
Experienced

NYsquarebird58 is on a distinguished road

It's been just over a year now since I took home my bird. In a year I've learned so much and am very thankful to the community and the good friends I've made.

This old bird has tested and fought me every step of the way, but with every turn of a screw and twist of a bolt, we've grown closer. I can't wait till the snow melts away and Spring time finally comes, so I can get her up and running again.
Old 02-26-2013, 08:45 AM
Slow Typist

Marcelo, you have sacrificed life and limb in a great effort to resurrect Lucille, and it shows. She looks fabulous. I don't know of anyone who has shown more enthusiasm and a hunger to learn this hobby than you. WE have benefited from your tire and wheel fitment trials and your power disk brake findings. The list goes on as you have freely shared your resources and restoration pictures with everyone on our forum.

I am humbled in the belief that this is exactly why Alexander started Squarebirds.org, so friendships like yours can be shared with Thunderbird enthusiasts and restorers all over the world. I am richer for it. - Dave

--Lee Iacocca
Old 02-26-2013, 06:33 PM
Experienced

Aw-shucks, Dave. Thanks for the kind words. Alexander created a special place here that is really not like any other.
Old 02-26-2013, 08:46 PM
Super-Experienced

Dakota Boy is on a distinguished road

I believe the main difference is that everyone on this board just wants to help their neighbor, and is mature enough not to "flame" and attack other members.

I'd say that is pretty darn rare in this day and age.
Old 03-05-2013, 09:33 PM
Experienced

Here’s the new reman A1 Cardone distributor I got from Rockauto. My only complaint is the vacuum advance. Good thing I have a new spare to install.

Old 03-08-2013, 11:11 PM
Experienced

I just received my exhaust valve spacer from Mac's and gaskets from Rockauto.

Gettin' ready for the Spring time!

Old 05-31-2014, 07:45 PM
Experienced

Hello friends,

Today was a bittersweet day. My squarebird was sold to a gentleman in Miami and was just picked up today. Monika and I are buying our first home together and we really needed the funds. I even contemplated keeping her, but I new that for the foreseeable future I just wouldn't have the time or funds to give her the attention she needs (the T-Bird, not Monika) and didn't want the car sitting there deteriorating. The new owner is a real car guy and seems very enthusiastic about picking up where I left off.

To me the biggest part about owning this car was being part of this amazing community. I've been and continue to be involved in several different car circles and this one holds a special place for me. I want to thank you all for making this place so special. A special thanks to Ray Clark for all that you do. You really know how to roll out the welcome mat, and to Dave Dare who over the past few years has become a true friend of mine. You sir have taught me more about old cars than I could have ever learned on my own, and I'm really grateful to know you.

I saved two squarebirds and left them better than when I found them - and that's a good thing!

With that, I leave you with some recent pics of Lucille.

Old 05-31-2014, 08:19 PM
Slow Typist

Wait just a doggone minute, there...
First you sell your little Japanese car, then the Harley, now you sell Lucille and you bought a HOUSE?

Somehow, I hear babybuggy wheels squeakin' in your future, goomba. I would normally be sad to hear about you selling your Thunderbird, but I'm more happy for you and Monika. Marcelo, you're a good provider and I'm proud to call you, 'my friend'.

I don't know too many guys who actually pulled the 'setting pin' out of their own finger, when it came time. Ha! Tell Monika, if she ever delivers a baby NOT to invite you in the operating room.

Seriously though, you have an open invitation to stay with us if you ever visit Detroit. Robin & I would love to have you. - Dave

You picked a fine time to leave us, Lucille...

--Lee Iacocca
Old 05-31-2014, 10:39 PM
Super-Experienced

keith is on a distinguished road

Marcelo, Hope everything goes good for you on the new house. Thanks for sharing your projects with us. I liked how you adapted your wood working skills and tools. Like making the parts for your brake booster using a table saw!

Hope you come back with a new bird project in the near future.

Keith

CLICK HERE for Keith's web site