No announcement yet.

Power steering question for Alexander

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Power steering question for Alexander

I am replacing the seals on my 1960 power steering ram. As you have done it a couple of times I have a question. In the replacement kit I have two identical seals and one smaller rubber seal,one plastic bushing, one copper washer and one stepped metal washer and the snap ring. The manual says to use all the parts in the repair kit but the illustration in the manual only shows one seal followed by bushing followed by small rubber seal and the scrapper which I assume is the copper colored washer then the snap ring. That leaves one seal and one stepped metal washer. Are these used for something else. When I pulled the originals out of the ram there was only one seal,one bushing,one smaller rubber seal, copper washer and snap ring.
  • Alexander
    Webmaster
    • Oct 30 2002

RE: Power steering question for Alexander

I don't think I have had the problem of too many pieces with the seal kits I have used. Just use the seals as shown in the shop manual and that you have removed from your ram. You would not have room on the shaft to put all those pieces on anyway.

Your kit probably accomodates variations in the build of the rams. I had a strange ram on my 1960 Golde Top. Instead of the parts being held in by a snap ring, there was a screw on cap on the end. I could not find another cap like it, so I replaced the whole ram.

Alexander
    1959 Hardtop
    1960 Golde Top
    Alexander
    1959 Hard Top
    1960 Golde Top
    sigpic

Comment

Working...
    😀
    🥰
    🤢