This will take you to the main site where there is history, technical information and other information on these cars.
This takes you back to the main page of the forums.
This is the control panel to change your password, information and preferences on this message board.
Click here if your lost your password or need to register on this message board. You must be a registered user to post. Registration is free.
Search this board for information you need.
Click here to buy cool Squarebirds mechandise.
Click here to support Squarebirds.org. For $20 annually receive 20mBytes webspace, a Squarebirds e-mail address and member's icon on the message board.
Old 02-09-2012, 08:04 PM

Anders is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYsquarebird58 View Post
This is what I'm talkin' about right here! You think this'll work on our cars?

Yeah. Looks very cool, but I doubt he have much use of them...
http://www.tbirdregistry.com/#33158
Old 02-09-2012, 09:33 PM
Experienced

Restifier52 is on a distinguished road

I think they would look cool. Fifties custom vibe. As Anders says, function maybe not so much. Hey, it never bothered Ed Roth...
Thunderbird Registry #35780
Old 02-11-2012, 11:31 AM
Experienced

NYsquarebird58 is on a distinguished road

I was digging around a box of parts in the trunk and discovered these two horns. Any idea if either one of these is correct for my 58'?

Horn 1

Horn 2

Old 02-11-2012, 12:02 PM
Super-Experienced and a HELLOFA nice guy

YellowRose is on a distinguished road
Default NYsquarebird58's Tbird

Hi Marcello, it looks like you found your horns! Those certainly appear to be the "snail" type horns for your Tbird. Those horns were used from '58-'64. One is a hi pitch horn and the other should be a low pitch horn. You need one of each and it looks like those are them. Here is the link to the Bird Nest so you can see what they show for your '58 and through '64. These look just like yours, so it looks like someone took the OEM ones off and put them in the trunk. If you have not ordered any free catalogs from the vendors yet, you can do so from their website. You should contact all the vendors and ask for one of their free catalogs. It will help you in research and price comparison. If you have not ordered a '58 Shop Manual, you need to snag one also. Look at the other manuals and see what else you will need.
http://www.parts123.com/parts123/yb.dll?parta~dyndetail~Z5Z5Z50000030b~Z5Z5Z5843~P3 4.95~~~~S3FI0P8PW270239189050F~Z5Z5Z5~Z5Z5Z5000003 0c#

Ray Clark - Squarebirds Administrator
'59 Tbird "The Yellow Rose Of Texas" aka "Tweety Bird"
"It's Hip To Be Square"
Thunderbird Registry #33025 VTCI #11178

rayclark07"at"att.net (Home) 210-674-5781 (Cell) 210-875-1411
http://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm
Old 02-11-2012, 12:21 PM
Experienced

Quote:
Originally Posted by YellowRose View Post
Hi Marcello, it looks like you found your horns! Those certainly appear to be the "snail" type horns for your Tbird. Those horns were used from '58-'64. One is a hi pitch horn and the other should be a low pitch horn. You need one of each and it looks like those are them. Here is the link to the Bird Nest so you can see what they show for your '58 and through '64. These look just like yours, so it looks like someone took the OEM ones off and put them in the trunk. If you have not ordered any free catalogs from the vendors yet, you can do so from their website. You should contact all the vendors and ask for one of their free catalogs. It will help you in research and price comparison. If you have not ordered a '58 Shop Manual, you need to snag one also. Look at the other manuals and see what else you will need.
http://www.parts123.com/parts123/yb.dll?parta~dyndetail~Z5Z5Z50000030b~Z5Z5Z5843~P3 4.95~~~~S3FI0P8PW270239189050F~Z5Z5Z5~Z5Z5Z5000003 0c#
So far I’ve requested parts catalogs from the following businesses:

Larry's Thunderbird & Mustang Parts

CONCOURS PARTS & ACCESSORIES

Bird Nest

Thunderbird Headquarters

I also a have a shop manual for 60 Thunderbirds which will be good for most things, but I'll need to source a 58 manual for certain year-specific things like the rear suspension.
Old 02-11-2012, 12:49 PM

You may want to get catalogs from MAC's, which is not far from you, and Bob's Bird House, in Delaware. Bob has retired and sold the business, but they are good to deal with. They, like Bird Nest, also have parts and parts cars they can get parts off of. Take a look at some of the other vendors also, and get their free catalogs. As for shop manuals, yes, the '60 will be about the same as the '58, but not entirely. Especially regarding the front and rear end, so you will want the '58 manual. The electrical diagrams for our Tbirds are in the Technical Resource Library. You might want to print out the one for the '58.

"It's Hip To Be Square"

Old 02-11-2012, 02:02 PM
Experienced

Here are some more shots of the interior

Here’s the radio opening. It looks like someone did some cutting. I hope the factory radio will cover that up.

The console speaker and cover are both missing. The speaker will be the easy part, but I think I’ll have some trouble sourcing the cover.

Instrumentation

The mileage reads 45,187

Here’s a closer shot of the sticker on the windshield. It does not say “Vintage Thunderbird Club International”. It reads: “Vintage Thunderbird Club of America” Perhaps this is what VTCI used to be called??

Old 02-11-2012, 02:43 PM

Thanks for posting the additional pix. The seat covers seem to look pretty well. I see the roof will need new insulation, more than likely, and a new headliner. Also the aluminum rear panels on the C pillar unless they are in the trunk. I also hope that your chrome trim panels that go over the windows and cover your headliner are in the trunk. If not, you can get used or new ones.

Your dashpad looks to be in good shape, except where the radio was. You might be able to cover that up. You should be able to get the speaker and the speaker cover from someone who has parts and parts cars, like Carl Heller ~ partsetal, here on the Forum. Or one of the other vendors with parts and parts cars. You can get a new speaker from one of them, or a used one from someone who has one that is working.

Your glove compartment lid and instrument panel should clean up fairly well. Your gas and temp gauges might not work anymore. There is a Constant Voltage Regulator that steps down the 12V input to those 6V gauges. It can be found attached to the back of your instrument panel, or on a metal support post. I will post a pic to show you what to look for if you take the instrument panel out. The one I am posting is the solid State CVR, but the OEM one looks similar to it. I went through 2 CVR units, at about $25 each and both blew. Watch out that you dont get a Chinese made one, if you need one. I decided to go solid state the last time, for about $50. There are instructions in the TRL on how to adjust the readings on the gauges from the back of the gauge. If the CVR unit is defective it could have fried the gauges, but you will find that out later on. You can get a replacement for one, including a solid state one. You can get the gauges repaired by Bird Next. Same thing for the clock. I had them quartz mine and it works great. What is that down to the left of the hood release handle? It looks like some kind of control panel.

I see you have power windows, and that is probably going to need cleaning up. The details on how to take it out, clean the contact, etc. is in the TRL. You probably also have a power drivers seat. The motors are under the seat and can be repaired or replaced. The motors for the windows are in the door panels, and the rear ones in the side panels. New carpeting, if needed, can be gotten from any of the parts places. You can get a new steering wheel center piece and fender "bullets" from the parts places. Jed Zimmerman on the Forum here specializes in reconditioning your steering wheel to new condition. He also makes and sells the seat and back foams for our seats. In fact, most vendors buy them from him. I have his seat foams on my Tbird.

As previously mentioned, you will want to drain your gas tank. There is a drain plug in one of the corners as I recall. Take it off, and have it cleaned out and treated. If it needs replaced, you can buy new ones from the company in Canada on eBay that makes them, as I did. You can save a few bucks that way. But that gas tank needs to be emptied and put through a cleaning process. You may need a new sending unit which is in your gas tank. You can get one from our parts vendors. Your fuel pump on a 352 engine is down below the power steering pump. Usually, they have two nipples coming out of them. One provides vacuum to your vacuum powered windshield wipers. Vacuum wipers are a PIB, and I replaced mine with an electric wiper that is readily available.

Yes, the VTCA (Vintage Thunderbird Club Of America, The Squarebird Society) was the forerunner of the VTCI for Squarebirds only originally. Later they added Bulletbirds and Flairbirds and changed their name to Vintage Thunderbird Club International in 1988. So a previous owner of your Tbird was a member of VTCA at one time. As a Paid Member, you will be receiving a new VTCI decal for your Tbird, but you might want to leave the VTCA decal on to show its history...

There is a lot to be done with your Tbird, but that depends on how much you want to do with it. You can't beat the price you got it for, that is for sure. I hope this information helps.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SolidStateCVR.jpg (28.1 KB, 83 views)

"It's Hip To Be Square"

Last edited by YellowRose : 02-11-2012 at 08:20 PM.
Old 02-11-2012, 05:48 PM
Experienced

Restifier52 is on a distinguished road
Default What Is That?

Hi Marcello. What is that object below the headlight switch?
Rick
Thunderbird Registry #35780
Old 02-11-2012, 06:22 PM
Super-Experienced

tbirds8 is on a distinguished road

Someone replaced your dash and cut it for the origenal radio. They don,t come with the hole cut already. You should be ok