This will take you to the main site where there is history, technical information and other information on these cars.
This takes you back to the main page of the forums.
This is the control panel to change your password, information and preferences on this message board.
Click here if your lost your password or need to register on this message board. You must be a registered user to post. Registration is free.
Search this board for information you need.
Click here to buy cool Squarebirds mechandise.
Click here to support Squarebirds.org. For $20 annually receive 20mBytes webspace, a Squarebirds e-mail address and member's icon on the message board.
Old 02-16-2012, 04:49 PM
Excellent Auto Mechanic for over 40 years.

jopizz is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the link. I hadn't seen those pictures before. Hopefully mine will look somewhat close to it once it's done. Of course a few thousand dollars to finish it off wouldn't hurt.

P.S. Does anybody know what those snaps are for. Looks like it had some sort of tonneau cover.

Last edited by jopizz : 02-16-2012 at 04:55 PM.
Old 02-16-2012, 07:34 PM
Experienced

NYsquarebird58 is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKheld View Post
Marcello - you have found your original horns and that means you have won the grand prize - a new white headliner !!!!!!

I ordered a headliner from one of the major parts suppliers years ago and it has been collecting dust in the garage ever since. It is bright white not off white like my original one - I didn't like it as much. I took my original headliner to a trim shop and had them order some material and make one that matched mine perfectly. If you want the "old" new one I'll send it to you for what it costs to ship. Should fit in one of the medium flat rate boxes so don't think it will be over $20.

When you do get to the point you are ready to install the headliner be sure and note the bars as you take them out - they are different and painted different colors on the edges to keep track of where they go. The rods also have little caps on the ends to keep them in the holes in the body - like the holes were too big and so they put caps on the ends of the rods to make them fit.

PM me your address if you want the headliner and I'll get it in the mail.

Eric

I'm liking that car more with ever pic you post !!!!
Just got the headliner in the mail and all I can say is Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!

I love the pattern and the color!

Old 02-16-2012, 09:38 PM
Super-Experienced

Dakota Boy is on a distinguished road

It's a really nice community here....

Everyone helps thier "neighbor" as much as they can.

Isnt it great ?
Old 02-16-2012, 11:25 PM
Experienced

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakota Boy View Post
It's a really nice community here....

Everyone helps thier "neighbor" as much as they can.

Isnt it great ?
It really is
Old 02-17-2012, 08:02 PM
Super-Experienced

dgs is on a distinguished road

I've got that decal on my '60 Convertible too. Grandpa bought it in 1978 in the Los Angeles area. I believe the prior owner's name was Earnest W. Smith. I'd love to know more about it's past life if there is more to know.
Old 02-17-2012, 08:29 PM

Unfortunately the VTCA membership roster was hit and miss at best. No serial numbers were listed and a lot of times it only listed a year and no model type. I only found one Smith in the roster. They lived in Torrance, CA and that was from 1975 and it said they owned a 1960 Hardtop.
Old 02-18-2012, 12:02 AM
Super-Experienced

Interesting, because I have a couple of Midas receipts from a shop in Torrence:

Old lifetime certs from Midas for the mufflers on my Tbird. Think they'll honor em? by _salguod, on Flickr

Notice the date is '76 on the one, the other (out of the shot) is from '75. Notice the two different addresses too. Interestingly, both of these were for free replacement mufflers, they aren't the original. That's the only docs I have from before my gradfather owned the car. I don't even have all his documentation. His wife says she gave it to me, but I don't remember. I'm not sure who's memory is faulty, hers or mine.

See the CHP sticker from '74 too? The '73 sticker is underneath and there are stickers still on the windshield too.

Anyway, thanks for looking. Maybe it's the same guy and it was incorrectly ID'd as a hardtop, or maybe he had two cars. Or maybe it was someone else. Who knows.
Old 02-18-2012, 12:15 AM
Super-Experienced

OK, I looked up the address for the Midas and the building and sign are still there, but it's not a Midas anymore. And, there's a '66 Charger (I think) on the street in Google street view.
Old 02-19-2012, 10:55 AM

Looks like Marcello gave up already. I'm not sure why he wanted all the parts if he was just going to turn around and give the car away.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1958-...item35b9b87048
Old 02-19-2012, 11:09 AM
Experienced

Quote:
Originally Posted by jopizz View Post
Looks like Marcello gave up already. I'm not sure why he wanted all the parts if he was just going to turn around and give the car away.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1958-...item35b9b87048
Start from post 78. If you've got better advice than to walk away from this one, I'd like to hear it.
http://squarebirds.org/vbulletin/sho...t=12475&page=8