This will take you to the main site where there is history, technical information and other information on these cars.
This takes you back to the main page of the forums.
This is the control panel to change your password, information and preferences on this message board.
Click here if your lost your password or need to register on this message board. You must be a registered user to post. Registration is free.
Search this board for information you need.
Click here to buy cool Squarebirds mechandise.
Click here to support Squarebirds.org. For $20 annually receive 20mBytes webspace, a Squarebirds e-mail address and member's icon on the message board.
Old 02-02-2012, 07:15 PM

NewBird13 is on a distinguished road
Default Is this a good deal for a brake conversion kit?

Hey guys
I came across this kit on ebay and was wondering if it is a good deal? Im asking because it seems much cheaper than what people on this site have said they paid.
Thanks
http://www.ebay.com/itm/1958-1959-19...#ht_500wt_1287
Old 02-02-2012, 08:44 PM
Super-Experienced

DKheld is on a distinguished road

Probably would be best to go with the "tried and tested" Scarebird items but this does appear to be a decent price. They tell you what the rotors are so you could get those local and save shipping assuming you could get the brackets separately. Read the post linked below then ask them a question and see how there technical help is - that should tell you quite a bit. Or ask for pictures of completed conversions (references) !!!

Sometimes what they don't tell you though will cost you more in the end. Notice they say "no modifications needed" - well - the stock brake master cyl is for drum brakes not Disc. You'll have to run 15 inch wheels, etc.

Installing the front rotors is the easy part - getting the rest of the details right to stop your car is the other 90% and not as easy as installing the rotors IMHO.

I converted using Granada spindles - it works but don't go that route.

Check this post - should give you some ideas and answers.

http://www.squarebirds.org/vbulletin...t=disc&page=29

Good luck!
Eric,
registry 5347
http://www.tbirdregistry.com/viewdat...tryNumber=5347

Last edited by DKheld : 02-02-2012 at 08:48 PM.
Old 02-02-2012, 08:48 PM
Excellent Auto Mechanic for over 40 years.

jopizz is on a distinguished road

This kit requires that you change from your original 14" wheels to 15". If you use the scarebird brackets with Granada or Mustang rotors and Chevy S-10 calipers you can use your factory spindles and keep your standard hubcaps. You just need later 14" disc brake rims. When I do mine that's what I am going to use. I priced it out and I believe it's cheaper than the kit they advertise.
Old 02-03-2012, 12:05 AM
Slow Typist

simplyconnected is on a distinguished road

You guys are right. This system uses a rotor that is 11.77" and Scarebird uses the '68 Mustang rotor which is 11.24". That's why the Scarebird will still fit under a 14" Granada or Mustang wheel. Howard Prout wears the Scarebird system with 14" wheels on his '60 T-bird. (BTW, you can re-use your T-bird bearings and dust caps with the Mustang rotors.)

Price? It's close, but I still think Scarebird may be a little cheaper. I like the idea of buying my iron parts locally so I can save shipping costs. AND, I use the softest pads I can find. They don't last the longest but they never squeal and they stop in the shortest distance. Our auto parts stores have at least four choices of pads for the S-10 calipers. - Dave

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
--Lee Iacocca
Old 02-03-2012, 02:25 PM
Experienced

Astrowing is on a distinguished road

I'm curious as to what folks are doing for master cylinders and boosters for 58, 59, and 60 with and without AC. Is it only a difficulty for the '58 with AC?

CLICK HERE for Jim's web site
Old 02-03-2012, 09:45 PM
Slow Typist

simplyconnected is on a distinguished road

It's easiest for folks who had the firewall booster because they can cut the rivets off and reuse the bracket on a new two-stage booster.

The problem is, Squarebirds have a very low-mounted M/C (lower on the firewall than Fairlanes). To add a booster means it must come up about five inches to give enough room. Who makes a bracket that raises the M/C 5"? There are a few companies, but they won't sell just the bracket. You gotta buy their booster, M/C, brake pedal rod... the whole bang. It ain't cheap, but it works.

One alternative is to make your own, like Howard Prout did. His is the nicest I've seen and it works very well. He has A/C and a 430. - Dave

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
--Lee Iacocca
Old 02-04-2012, 12:02 AM
Super-Experienced and a HELLOFA nice guy

YellowRose is on a distinguished road
Default Is this a good deal for a brake conversion kit?

Hi Jim, if you have a '58, '59 or '60 Squarebird with AC, getting a modern 8" dual power booster to clear the right side of the AC plenum box is going to give you problems. As Dave said, companies who sell these dual mc/booster kits will not sell you the mounting bracket that will work without buying their whole system. I know because I asked all of them. Howard made his own mounting bracket, and as Dave said, it works great. He has been running with it for the last year or more now.

Ray Clark - Squarebirds Administrator
'59 Tbird "The Yellow Rose Of Texas" aka "Tweety Bird"
"It's Hip To Be Square"
Thunderbird Registry #33025 VTCI #11178

rayclark07"at"att.net (Home) 210-674-5781 (Cell) 210-875-1411
http://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm
Old 02-04-2012, 06:58 PM

NewBird13 is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the advice guys. I really appreciate it.
Old 02-05-2012, 09:50 PM

skcow is on a distinguished road
Default Brake Kit

I purchased one of their kits and I'm in the process of installation now. I got the 4 wheel complete kit as I'm beefing my old bird up a bit. The kit is well thought out and very complete. The only problem I've had is that the e brake cables were too short and will have to get them elsewhere. For the money it's hard to beat. Yes you'll have to run 15" wheels to clear the new set up.