This will take you to the main site where there is history, technical information and other information on these cars.
This takes you back to the main page of the forums.
This is the control panel to change your password, information and preferences on this message board.
Click here if your lost your password or need to register on this message board. You must be a registered user to post. Registration is free.
Search this board for information you need.
Click here to buy cool Squarebirds mechandise.
Click here to support Squarebirds.org. For $20 annually receive 20mBytes webspace, a Squarebirds e-mail address and member's icon on the message board.
Old 01-24-2012, 10:39 PM
Experienced

60 T-Bird is on a distinguished road
Default Dash light wiring

After a long hiatus, I am back on my bird's dash installation. When I bought the car, it was dead. So I have never seen the dash lights work in the first place. I have got the head lights, tail lights and brake light going without too much trouble. All the dash running lights are plain blue wires. None of which have power. My question is...where do all the blue wires get their power from? I down loaded the wiring diagram from the 60 Ford manual that Dave gave me but it is different in colors. Or does anyone know of a 60 Tbird wiring schematic?
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Old 01-24-2012, 10:50 PM
Excellent Auto Mechanic for over 40 years.

jopizz is on a distinguished road

The blue wires come off the headlight switch. It connects to the prong closest to the rheostat. It's actually a blue wire with a red connector. Is your headlight switch new? If not most likely the rheostat and the contacts are corroded. It can be taken apart and cleaned. There are wiring schematics in the Technical Resource Library.
Old 01-24-2012, 11:35 PM
Super-Experienced and a HELLOFA nice guy

YellowRose is on a distinguished road

As jopizz said, the Technical Resource Library has the wiring schematics in it for our Tbirds. You will find them right above the CHASSIS heading. Also, there are two excellent articles with pictures on troubleshooting the headlight switch. You will want to check them out. The link to the TRL is always a part of my signature element. Just click on it.

Ray Clark - Squarebirds Administrator
'59 Tbird "The Yellow Rose Of Texas" aka "Tweety Bird"
"It's Hip To Be Square"
Thunderbird Registry #33025 VTCI #11178

rayclark07"at"att.net (Home) 210-674-5781 (Cell) 210-875-1411
http://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm
Old 01-25-2012, 12:11 AM
Experienced

Thank you guys. I just got in from the garage (burrr!) and did see it at the end of headlight switch. It's a lot like my 58 Chevy was. In the way that you can bend a few tabs and dismantle it.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Old 01-25-2012, 12:25 AM
Experienced

...oh...also...the 2 hidden fuses under the headlight switch...what do they control? Thanx in advance.
Old 01-25-2012, 12:29 AM
Super-Experienced and a HELLOFA nice guy

YellowRose is on a distinguished road

Martin, I don't recall which function the two fuses control, but that information is covered, as I recall, in the articles in the TRL on troubleshooting and cleaning the light switch. Look there and you should find that answer.

Ray Clark - Squarebirds Administrator
'59 Tbird "The Yellow Rose Of Texas" aka "Tweety Bird"
"It's Hip To Be Square"
Thunderbird Registry #33025 VTCI #11178

rayclark07"at"att.net (Home) 210-674-5781 (Cell) 210-875-1411
http://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm
Old 01-25-2012, 04:21 AM
Slow Typist

simplyconnected is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by jopizz View Post
The blue wires come off the headlight switch. It connects to the prong closest to the rheostat. It's actually a blue wire with a red connector...
That's right on the money. Your Blue-Red wire can look like a solid Blue with a Red connector OR Blue with a Red stripe. Ford kept this color scheme for many years. And, it is fed from the "I" (instrument panel) connector on your headlight sw.

I hope your battery is disconnected so there are no 'surprises'. A watch or ring can easily take out delicate devices like your 6-volt Constant Voltage Regulator.

Once the battery is disconnected, pull your headlight switch apart and recondition the porcelain rheostat. The center part usually turns green and stops conducting. A little sand paper will bring it back to life. Twisting the headlight knob helps to clean your rheostat. Letting it sit for fifty years usually means it won't work. Hope this helps.

The small fuse is for your backup lights. The longer one protects everything else on the headlight switch. - Dave

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
--Lee Iacocca
Old 01-25-2012, 04:16 PM
Experienced

Thanx Dave. I had to laugh with the watch and ring thing. When I divorced, she took the watch...problem solved. I will jump a hot wire over to that blue with red to see if that does the trick. If so, I will disconnect the battery and clean the switch.
Old 01-25-2012, 10:54 PM
Experienced

Ok...jumped hot to blue with red end and sure enough the dash lights came to life. Now to rebuild the switch. Thanx again!
Old 01-26-2012, 01:45 AM
Slow Typist

simplyconnected is on a distinguished road

GOOD! I love to hear success stories.
Martin, CLICK HERE for our Headlight Switch site.
I hope this helps. - Dave

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
--Lee Iacocca