This will take you to the main site where there is history, technical information and other information on these cars.
This takes you back to the main page of the forums.
This is the control panel to change your password, information and preferences on this message board.
Click here if your lost your password or need to register on this message board. You must be a registered user to post. Registration is free.
Search this board for information you need.
Click here to buy cool Squarebirds mechandise.
Click here to support Squarebirds.org. For $20 annually receive 20mBytes webspace, a Squarebirds e-mail address and member's icon on the message board.
Old 01-17-2012, 12:38 PM
Super-Experienced and a HELLOFA nice guy

YellowRose is on a distinguished road
Default Stuck Speedo Cable

Phil ~ philgarvey has a problem getting his speedo cable off the back of his instrument panel. Can anyone help? Here is what he said.

"I have my hands full trying to replace the dash pad. I am stuck trying to disconnect the speedomter/odometer cable from the back of the dash instrument. I hit it with PB blaster but I can't back the cable off. Any thoughts?"

Is there a trick that he might have missed in getting that cable unscrewed?

Ray Clark - Squarebirds Administrator
'59 Tbird "The Yellow Rose Of Texas" aka "Tweety Bird"
"It's Hip To Be Square"
Thunderbird Registry #33025 VTCI #11178

rayclark07"at"att.net (Home) 210-674-5781 (Cell) 210-875-1411
http://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm

Last edited by YellowRose : 01-17-2012 at 02:29 PM.
Old 01-17-2012, 02:35 PM
Super-Experienced and Proud Kentuckian who bleeds Ford Blue.

Richard D. Hord is on a distinguished road

Hey Phil,
You are trying to unscrew it right? Remember you are looking at the retainer nut holding the cable. Righty tighty, lefty offty! Last resort channel lock pliers, easy does it!
Richard D. Hord
Registry #33436
Old 01-17-2012, 03:00 PM
Excellent Auto Mechanic for over 40 years.

jopizz is on a distinguished road

I've never had any trouble getting them unscrewed by hand. There should be enough slack to pull the speedometer out and get a vice grip on it.
Old 01-17-2012, 04:37 PM
Amateur Knuckle Buster

del is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard D. Hord View Post
Hey Phil,
You are trying to unscrew it right? Remember you are looking at the retainer nut holding the cable. Righty tighty, lefty offty! Last resort channel lock pliers, easy does it!
Richard D. Hord
I always thought it was lefty loosey...learn something new everyday..
1960 HT 352
TBird Registry 34042
Old 01-17-2012, 07:23 PM
Super-Experienced and Proud Kentuckian who bleeds Ford Blue.

Richard D. Hord is on a distinguished road

Hey Don,
Depends on where you are from Eastern Kentucky says wright at the light (right at the light), Winder (window), warshing machine (washing machine), youens (you all), Get the picture?
Richard D. Hord
Registry #33436
Old 01-17-2012, 07:31 PM
Super-Experienced and a HELLOFA nice guy

YellowRose is on a distinguished road
Default Stuck Speedo Cable

I don't know if it is because I was raised mostly in Pennsylvania as a youngster, but I have said "warshing machine" or "warshing" all my life and been kidded about it a lot. But that is another story and this thread is about how to unstick a stuck Speedo Cable!

Ray Clark - Squarebirds Administrator
'59 Tbird "The Yellow Rose Of Texas" aka "Tweety Bird"
"It's Hip To Be Square"
Thunderbird Registry #33025 VTCI #11178

rayclark07"at"att.net (Home) 210-674-5781 (Cell) 210-875-1411
http://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm
Old 01-18-2012, 12:03 AM
Super-Experienced

Dakota Boy is on a distinguished road

I think I had to use a channel-lock at one time in the past (previous owner may have been a bit more ham-fisted and tougher than I am).

Its just a threaded fitting.
Old 01-18-2012, 09:32 AM
Apprentice

philgarvey is on a distinguished road
Default stuck speedo

thanks guys,
what did the trick was PB blaster and letting it set in over night. I also put a strap wrench on the back part of the speedometer and big plyers on the cable. She did not want to give it up but I am very persuasive. I have another question....to get the headlight switch knob out, I pulled it out of the switch. It Looks like all I have to do is push it back into the switch when restalling...or did I screw the pooch?
Old 01-18-2012, 12:00 PM
Excellent Auto Mechanic for over 40 years.

jopizz is on a distinguished road

The headlight switch knob just pushes back in and should lock. When you removed it did you push down the release button. If not the button may be broken or just stuck.
Old 01-18-2012, 12:01 PM
Super-Experienced

Dakota Boy is on a distinguished road

There's a button on the switch that has to be pressed when removing the pull knob/shaft. Hopefully your switch isnt broken now.

look at the end of the shaft: there is a tiny groove that something inside the switch "catches" on, so you cant pull it all the way out every time you use it.