This will take you to the main site where there is history, technical information and other information on these cars.
This takes you back to the main page of the forums.
This is the control panel to change your password, information and preferences on this message board.
Click here if your lost your password or need to register on this message board. You must be a registered user to post. Registration is free.
Search this board for information you need.
Click here to buy cool Squarebirds mechandise.
Click here to support Squarebirds.org. For $20 annually receive 20mBytes webspace, a Squarebirds e-mail address and member's icon on the message board.
Old 03-22-2012, 11:11 AM
Super-Experienced

tbird430 is on a distinguished road
Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by rannugno View Post
Fuz, thanks a lot for your replay and input.

But I'm still near 100% sure that this "light blue" is original. The interior have never been repainted before. I've checked behind panels, parts of panel covered by other panels, under the dash and several other places. All these places have the same light blue color. But the seat covers have been changed before, and do also have the same light color. So it seems like someone have produced interior with this color earlier.

Second, If you read the further down from tbird 430, you can see that his parents had exactly the same experience as me when ordering interior for their XA colored bird.

Third, the picture under is found another place in this forum and shows a car with light blue door top cover and new darker panel. This is what my car will looks like if I use the new covers without painting them.

So I still believe two different blue shades have existed

Regards a confused,
Gunnar
I'm with you Gunnar. My parents bought a Bird I was originally looking at to buy YEARS AGO (before I found my 1-owner '60 in 1991).

The car was sold new in Abilene, TX in '58. Then sold to a brother-in-law at some point in time, who lives where we live (and the car was bought & sittng still since '79). We bought this Bird off of this family member in Wichita Falls, TX in 1998.

This '58 hardtop has the original exterior regatta blue bottom & white top, and had old (like '70's style) solid blue seat covers installed over the factory '58 original cloth/vinyl seat covers- to protect them I guess? Even down inside the rear seat bottom corners, untouched by sunlight, this LIGHTER BLUE sticks out like a sore thumb. Just as bad as that door panel pic above (labeled #8)...

The 1960 Ford Thunderbird. The WORLD'S most wanted car....

VTCI Member#6287.

Last edited by tbird430 : 03-22-2012 at 11:19 AM.
Old 03-30-2012, 03:53 AM
Experienced

tmjsong1aolcom is on a distinguished road

Anything is possible as Ford did do special orders. I will be home in a few days and start to go thru the info I have. While this will not answer specifics on the 2 birds you have, I can at least try to verify that there might have been 2 shaes of blue vinyl used in the interior.

One of theings that can be checked for colro info are the center console and the rear package trays above the back seat. These were all vinyl covered.
Check for shades of blue in covered areas and there will small areas for all 3 pieces.

Fuz
58's&64's
Sun Prairie, Wi
tmjsong1@aol.com
Old 03-30-2012, 01:40 PM
Apprentice

rannugno is on a distinguished road

Fuz, I'm looking forward to hear about your eventually findings regarding this blue color shades. When Ford changed from winterset white to colonial white during summer 58, is it possible they also changed the interior color shade for interior code XA? My car have the first color, winterset white.

Regarding checking under and backsides, under the restoration of the interior, almost all pieces inside the coupe was taken out, and I have only found light blue and no sign of darker shade of blue or repainting anywhere. Some of the pieces was rather rusty on the back side, but still light blue
Under it's a picture taken of the backsides of interior parts after rust removing and another taken under the dash on drivers side
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCF1620lite.jpg (95.0 KB, 78 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF1604liten.jpg (123.0 KB, 78 views)
Old 04-02-2012, 12:00 AM
Experienced

Default Nice Pics

Tanx for sending the pics from the interior items. I agree they appear to be original Ford. Did you find and date tags attached to any of the interior metal pieces you removed??

Just curious as in viewing the pieces I did not see any date tags. They were month followed by with 58 or 1958. Again don't remember exactly as I am still 4 days from home.

Could you post pics of the edges of the package tray that shows the covered areas??

Tanx
Fuz
58's&64's
Sun Prairie, Wi.
tmjsong1@aol.com
Old 04-02-2012, 12:04 AM
Experienced

Default Interior

Just a couple other ?? Does the center console have a vinyl coating?

What is the painted surface for the 2 drops that are in front of the passenger and driver? These are the lower pieces that cover up where your feet go.

Tanx
Fuz
58's&64's
Sun Prairie, Wi.
tmjsong1@aol.com
Old 04-02-2012, 07:16 PM
Apprentice

rannugno is on a distinguished road

This is the best picture I've got of the backside of the package tray before I repainted it. I think there was some tags on the backside on one or two items, but they are repainted and gone, no pictures unfortunately... But the back seat have a tag under marked "date 6 - 24", no year. I may take a picture and post later.

The center console did have vinyl coating and the two covers under the the dash on each sides had a textured and painted surface (also re textured and painted), you can see them on the picture below with the backside up.

Hope i answered your questions.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCF1621liten.jpg (96.5 KB, 59 views)
Old 04-02-2012, 07:53 PM
Experienced

Dutchbird is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by rannugno View Post
Fuz, I'm looking forward to hear about your eventually findings regarding this blue color shades. When Ford changed from winterset white to colonial white during summer 58, is it possible they also changed the interior color shade for interior code XA? My car have the first color, winterset white.
Hello Gunnar,

Mine was original Winterset White wit code XA also, but repainted in the States before I bought it.
I still can see some light blue color also at some (hidden) spots in the interior just like your pieces...
(I think it's the same color you have, the lighter one)
Old 04-03-2012, 12:19 PM
Super-Experienced

My parents '58 Bird is two-tone. It has a Regatta Blue bottom & the earlier Whiterset White top....

-Jon in TX.

VTCI Member#6287.
Old 04-07-2012, 12:57 AM
Experienced

I just looked thru my dealers showroom book. There is no light blue in the book for 58 birds. All the other Fords used a light blue vinyl when vinyl was used or least according to the swatches.

I can take pics tommorrow and if I am allowed to post pics I will do so.

The swatch of light blue vinyl layed against the repro door panel is not the correct grain for either the thunderbird blue or the standard Ford blue.

I know that Ford did allow special orders over the years and custom exterior colors were possible so I assume custom interiors would be possible. Cost is ????.

I am assuming it would be possible to have the interior sewn is a light blue vinyl at the factory but the data plate would reflect this change by using either a blank trim code or some sort of special code.

My opinion is the vinyl was replaced in the past and is not original Ford.

Just My opinion. I am open to changing my opinion providing proof exists.

Sorry I do not have better news.

Good Luck
Fuz
58's&64's
Sun Prairie, Wi.
tmjsong1@aol.com
Old 04-09-2012, 10:25 AM
Super-Experienced

Red face

I'll try to get pics of the metal tags on my parent's '58 T-Bird seat frames & some pics of their light blue, original, '58 interior (if they still have some left).

-Jon in TX.

VTCI Member#6287.