This will take you to the main site where there is history, technical information and other information on these cars.
This takes you back to the main page of the forums.
This is the control panel to change your password, information and preferences on this message board.
Click here if your lost your password or need to register on this message board. You must be a registered user to post. Registration is free.
Search this board for information you need.
Click here to buy cool Squarebirds mechandise.
Click here to support Squarebirds.org. For $20 annually receive 20mBytes webspace, a Squarebirds e-mail address and member's icon on the message board.
Old 02-13-2013, 12:54 AM
Excellent Auto Mechanic for over 40 years.

jopizz is on a distinguished road

I have to respectfully disagree with triple60squares.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg thunderbird pics 048-red.jpg (418.7 KB, 63 views)

Thunderbird Registry #36223
jopizz@verizon.net 856-779-9695

http://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm
Old 02-13-2013, 04:35 AM
Super-Experienced

bird 60 is on a distinguished road
Thumbs down Me 2

I totally disagree as well. I run 225/14 with 2 1/2'' whitewalls. I think they look magic on my '60. How-ever I had 1'' whitewalls on my '61 & they looked right for that model. At the end of the day it comes down to personal taste.

Chris......From OZ.
Old 02-13-2013, 08:43 AM

Diesel Dave is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by triple60squares View Post
not to upset anybody or criticize any ones car but i dont think wide whites wider then an inch look right on most cars built after 54 including the squares

dont shoot me but im gonna run 15inch raised white letters on my bird dont know what rims yet but am leaning hard toward chrome reverse and dont know what size tires im gonna run yet either
Hey, to each his own I say. If all our cars looked the same, that would be horrible.
Old 02-13-2013, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by simplyconnected View Post
I would have agreed with triple60squares BEFORE seeing Marcelo's new shoes:
Dagnabbit! These pics have me rethinking the 225s. Do you have any idea how much the mounting surface of the rotors is moved outboard compared to the drums?

Thanks for the reply,
Dave
Old 02-13-2013, 11:06 AM
Slow Typist

simplyconnected is on a distinguished road

No, no... The rotors aren't moved out at all. The rim sits exactly where the drum face used to be if you use Scarebird brackets with Mustang rotors.

I can tell you this, using the 14" wheels that Ray bought;

there is barely enough room for your finger to slide between the tire and the upper 'A' arm. But hey, "an inch is good as a mile" as long as nothing touches. - Dave

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
--Lee Iacocca
Old 02-13-2013, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by simplyconnected View Post
No, no... The rotors aren't moved out at all. The rim sits exactly where the drum face used to be if you use Scarebird brackets with Mustang rotors.

I can tell you this, using the 14" wheels that Ray bought; there is barely enough room for your finger to slide between the tire and the upper 'A' arm. But hey, "an inch is good as a mile" as long as nothing touches. - Dave
Thanks Dave. It's really helpful to know that.

One nice thing about Coker is that they're willing to take returns as long as the wheels aren't fully mounted.
Old 02-13-2013, 04:08 PM
Super-Experienced

tbird430 is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel Dave View Post
I want to draw upon the experiences that others have had with wheel and tire combos. Any advice would be most appreciated.

I understand that 215/75R14 most closely mimics the original bias ply tires. I'd like to go with a something a bit wider, and have that extra width move the sidewall outboard--I think the stock tires are tucked in too much. Obviously, I'd like to avoid clearance issues. Also, I want to add discs (later) and use a 15" wheel to make room for that.

Coker lists the section width of the 225 as 8.95" which I think will be nice, and they list the diameter as a full inch taller than the bias plies (I don't think the extra height will be an issue, though.) I wouldn't mind going even a bit wider, but the 235 is only listed with a 3 1/8" whitewall which I think would be too much white.

So what I'm thinking about pulling the trigger on is this:
15x7 steelies, 3 3/4" backspacing
Coker Classic 2 3/4 Inch Whitewall - 225/75R15

Any potential landmines with this combo? Thanks in advance.
Dave

Dave, I also disagree with "triple60squares".

I have the 225/75R14 radial WWW's on my '60 Hardtop. I get lots of compliments too. Even my father, when he was still here, changed the tires on his '59 Galaxie 500 after he saw my Bird with the "big whites"...

-Jon in TX.

The 1960 Ford Thunderbird. The WORLD'S most wanted car....

VTCI Member#6287.
Old 02-13-2013, 07:26 PM
Experienced

NYsquarebird58 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel Dave View Post
I want to draw upon the experiences that others have had with wheel and tire combos. Any advice would be most appreciated.

I understand that 215/75R14 most closely mimics the original bias ply tires. I'd like to go with a something a bit wider, and have that extra width move the sidewall outboard--I think the stock tires are tucked in too much. Obviously, I'd like to avoid clearance issues. Also, I want to add discs (later) and use a 15" wheel to make room for that.

Coker lists the section width of the 225 as 8.95" which I think will be nice, and they list the diameter as a full inch taller than the bias plies (I don't think the extra height will be an issue, though.) I wouldn't mind going even a bit wider, but the 235 is only listed with a 3 1/8" whitewall which I think would be too much white.

So what I'm thinking about pulling the trigger on is this:
15x7 steelies, 3 3/4" backspacing
Coker Classic 2 3/4 Inch Whitewall - 225/75R15

Any potential landmines with this combo? Thanks in advance.
Dave

I think you'd be happy with the setup I've got on my bird. remember if you go too wide in the rear, you'll have a difficult time unmounting and mounting the wheels. The rear wheel wells aren't very deep. It's a close fit getting my 215's in there. I'm sure you'd be OK with 225's, but you'd probably be pushing it with 235's
Old 02-13-2013, 07:32 PM
Experienced

NYsquarebird58 is on a distinguished road

And as Dave mentioned before, I have zero issues with clearance with my disc brake setup.

Old 02-13-2013, 08:03 PM
Experienced

triple60squares is on a distinguished road

so your running the scarebird disc set up?

could you tell me what you actually get from scarebird themselves

i know you have to buy the rotors and the calipers seperately

what do you do about the master cylinder and the proportioning valve?

ohh and talk about feeling like been left out in the cold.....lol no one aggrees with me its ok im used to it that makes me unique and original