This will take you to the main site where there is history, technical information and other information on these cars.
This takes you back to the main page of the forums.
This is the control panel to change your password, information and preferences on this message board.
Click here if your lost your password or need to register on this message board. You must be a registered user to post. Registration is free.
Search this board for information you need.
Click here to buy cool Squarebirds mechandise.
Click here to support Squarebirds.org. For $20 annually receive 20mBytes webspace, a Squarebirds e-mail address and member's icon on the message board.
Old 12-17-2011, 02:37 AM
Experienced

birdbrain is on a distinguished road
Default denman white wall tires

I have run denman G78 14 4 inch white walls on my 1960 T-bird since I restored it some 15 years ago. I have read that denmans are no longer made and my tires are getting old. I will need to replace them and as result might need to change my rims as well. There are so many nice looking Thunderbirds on the site it's hard to chose which comination I should go with. I have Califorina smoothe's on my car now. I am concerned with the size of the white wall. What would be the period correct white wall size and where would I be able to get them.
Old 12-17-2011, 02:59 AM
Slow Typist

simplyconnected is on a distinguished road

It's funny you should mention classic tires, as lnoska & I were just discussing coker tires.

Coker has been around forever, I understand they have all the licenses and molds for making the old bias-ply tires from the period. They also sell radial tires that LOOK like bias ply.

So, which one is the best? I think it depends on your taste. Ray Clark uses simple 'dog dish' hubcaps that allow his yellow rims to jump out.

Other members prefer a wide white wall (from before 1960). Coker tires are not cheap but the width of their white walls are the same price.
<--click on the picture

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
--Lee Iacocca
Old 12-17-2011, 08:56 AM
Super-Experienced

Dakota Boy is on a distinguished road

one other source (saw their ad in my little Hagerty insurance magazine that arrived a few weeks ago):

http://www.lucasclassictires.com/
Old 12-17-2011, 10:47 AM
Excellent Auto Mechanic for over 40 years.

jopizz is on a distinguished road

2 1/4 is the correct whitewall size. As mentioned Coker and Universal tires has all the period correct 800x14 size tires including Goodyear and BF Goodrich as well as their own brand. G78x14 is the same as 800x14. I believe the P215/75/14 radials only come in 2 1/2 whitewall.
Old 12-17-2011, 01:10 PM
Super-Experienced

DKheld is on a distinguished road

I've had my tires for about 8-10 years and have been very happy with them. Moved them from the original wheels to the LTD wheels when I changed to disc brakes and they survived the change. They sell a newer tread style these days.

At the time these tires were about 1/2 the price of Coker and since the company was fairly close - the shipping was cheaper as well. When I received them the shipper had badly damaged 2 of them (looked like they had been run over with a fork lift). Called Diamond Back. They shipped 2 more tires that day along with an RMA for the damaged ones rather than having me wait for the old ones to be returned.

Things could have changed in the years since I bought my tires but I'll definitely consider them when purchasing a new set.

Eric
registry 5347

http://www.dbtires.com/

Don't have a good side view close-up of the tires but since the tread design has changed it would probably be better to view them on the web site. Mine are 215 75 14

Old 12-17-2011, 04:08 PM
Experienced

lawyercalif is on a distinguished road

A little off the subject but DK mentioned LTD wheels with his disc brake conversion. What year LTD wheel?
Old 12-17-2011, 09:22 PM
Super-Experienced

DKheld is on a distinguished road

Never saw the car the LTD wheels came from but was given that information from the junkyard dealer. He said they came from a mid 70's LTD - that's all I know.

I always thought the LTD was a good source as an alternate wheel for a disc conversion but newer wheels are easier to find and probably cheaper - like Ford Ranger - put all the info that was stamped on my wheels in the disc brake conversion discussion. Scan through the discussion (might take a few days ) but has tons of info...... or search the forum archives on "disc".

http://www.squarebirds.org/vbulletin...highlight=disc

Eric
registry 5347
Old 12-18-2011, 12:33 AM
Slow Typist

simplyconnected is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawyercalif View Post
...What year LTD wheel?
Any year that used disk brakes. Bronco's work too.

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
--Lee Iacocca
Old 12-18-2011, 02:33 AM
Super-Experienced

bird 60 is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up

I chose Cokers P225/75/14 Radials. They are very quiet & the handling is superb. How they wear I don't know as I've only had them for almost a year & only cover about 2K a year. The closest size to the originals is P215/75/14.

Chris....From OZ.
Old 12-18-2011, 11:08 AM
Super-Experienced

dgs is on a distinguished road

Another consideration is the sidewall design. Before I bought my wheels, I was looking at wide white radials between Coker and Diamond Back. One of them had a raised black lip on the side wall just outside the white wall, the other did not. This would have protected the white wall in case you got too close to a curb. I don't remember which was which.

On sizes, the 215/75R14 radials are considered as a replacement for the 800-14s, but they are actually wider and almost an inch shorter. The 225/75R14 radials are considered replacements for the optional 850-14s, but they are also wider and shorter. Members have reported running both without issues.