This will take you to the main site where there is history, technical information and other information on these cars.
This takes you back to the main page of the forums.
This is the control panel to change your password, information and preferences on this message board.
Click here if your lost your password or need to register on this message board. You must be a registered user to post. Registration is free.
Search this board for information you need.
Click here to buy cool Squarebirds mechandise.
Click here to support Squarebirds.org. For $20 annually receive 20mBytes webspace, a Squarebirds e-mail address and member's icon on the message board.
Old 11-29-2011, 04:05 PM
Experienced

59thunder is on a distinguished road
Default 1959 Fan Shroud 352

HI all my car seems to run a little hot at idle and traffic 190-210, new engine,, but ok at 45 mile and great on highway

Is this fan shroud the correct one to use 180764768763 on ebay

i do not have a/c and i do have the standard radiator which as been cored and cleaned
Thanks Tony
Old 11-29-2011, 04:13 PM
Super-Experienced and a HELLOFA nice guy

YellowRose is on a distinguished road
Default 1959 Fan Shroud 352

Hi Tony,

This looks to be identical to the '63 Galaxie fan shroud I bought that Rose has on her. We had to make a slight modification to the bottom piece mounting tabs to get it to mount on the cross beam down there, but that was no big thing. I think they had to be moved somewhat. The fan shroud is a big help in cooling things down in this Texas summer heat. So, yes, that looks like one that should work well on your Tbird. Here are before and after pix of mine. Howard Prout had his chromed, as I recall, and it looks great! I am thinking of having mine chromed also.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg B4FanShroud1.jpg (71.3 KB, 101 views)
File Type: jpg B4FanShroud2.jpg (74.0 KB, 101 views)
File Type: jpg AfterFanShroud1.jpg (83.0 KB, 100 views)
File Type: jpg AfterFanShroud2.jpg (83.2 KB, 100 views)

Ray Clark - Squarebirds Administrator
'59 Tbird "The Yellow Rose Of Texas" aka "Tweety Bird"
"It's Hip To Be Square"
Thunderbird Registry #33025 VTCI #11178

rayclark07"at"att.net (Home) 210-674-5781 (Cell) 210-875-1411
http://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm

Last edited by YellowRose : 11-29-2011 at 04:19 PM.
Old 11-29-2011, 04:24 PM
Super-Experienced

gaffney1951 is on a distinguished road
Default Temp ...

190-210 deg. is fine, especially with a fresh engine. The shroud is a good idea, but don't be surprised if it makes little or no difference. I've found that it isn't so much getting air through the radiator as it is getting hot air out of the engine compartment when you're not moving. Just for grins try popping the hood and leave it on the safety latch and see if it makes any difference. Another often overlooked factor is timing. FE's really benefit from more initial timing (12-18 deg.) with total timing around 38 all in between 2500-3000 rpm. A dist. recurve is an inexpensive performance upgrade and might help bring the temp down a little. Mike
Old 11-29-2011, 04:41 PM
Experienced

Thanks timing and fuel delivery hopefully is all correct.. Had the engine dyno tunned and all adjusted. Had a 115hp @ the rear wheels
a long way from the advertised 300hp!

But it has plenty of pulling power.

This is only my second weekend coming up of driving it after the Dyno.
So i will watch the temp a lttle more

Thanks all

Tony
Old 11-30-2011, 12:00 AM

howieinfl is on a distinguished road

Tony, Are you sure that HP is correct ( 115 hp ) ? Maybe 215 HP to the rear wheels seems more like it ? Usually on rear wheel drive cars the loss through transmission and rear was around 30 % vs gross and Net HP.

My 302 which was rated at 210 HP in 1971 dropped to 140 HP Net in 1972 when going to "Net" ratings" when manufactures changed how they rated HP. My 74 Chevy with a docile 250 CI straight 6 1BBL has 100 hp to rear wheels.

I know for a fact that my 1989 Mustang GT has over 300HP ( gross ) with 225 HP to rear wheels
( around a 33% difference ).

Last edited by howieinfl : 11-30-2011 at 03:26 AM.
Old 11-30-2011, 12:17 AM
Super-Experienced

gaffney1951 is on a distinguished road
Default Doesn't sound right ...

Sure you weren't spinning the tires on the rollers. They only read true if you have good traction(Read cinched down hard). If you really care I would get a second opinion. In the end the butt-o-meter should tell the story. Mike
Old 11-30-2011, 04:12 AM
Experienced

Default hp

Thanks Guys, was not really worried about hp .When i collected the car i was more worried about the fuel consumption and the flat spot i had
Flat spot is gone , fuel consumption yet to be tested

Anyhow car seems to have plenty of hp/torque

Thanks Tony
Old 11-30-2011, 06:05 AM
Slow Typist

simplyconnected is on a distinguished road

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
--Lee Iacocca
Old 11-30-2011, 12:51 PM
Super-Experienced

RustyNCa is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaffney1951 View Post
190-210 deg. is fine, especially with a fresh engine. The shroud is a good idea, but don't be surprised if it makes little or no difference. I've found that it isn't so much getting air through the radiator as it is getting hot air out of the engine compartment when you're not moving. Just for grins try popping the hood and leave it on the safety latch and see if it makes any difference.
Now owning a car without a hood or sides, I can tell you that does make a big difference in engine temp. On our little coupe I only need to run the fan on warmer days. On a cool day, I can't run the fan at all, even sitting in traffic because the engine won't reach 180 degrees.

RustyNCA
Old 11-30-2011, 02:56 PM

johns60 is on a distinguished road
Default Radiator Shroud

I have a new in the box Dearborn fiberglass radiator shroud that is for a 62-63 Galaxie. It is a $250 item from Dearborn. I never used it because I had a whole new oversized radiator built for my 60 Bird and the dimensions are different. My price is $125 including shipping in the US. Contact me off line at jwa4@cox.net if anyone needs this part.