This will take you to the main site where there is history, technical information and other information on these cars.
This takes you back to the main page of the forums.
This is the control panel to change your password, information and preferences on this message board.
Click here if your lost your password or need to register on this message board. You must be a registered user to post. Registration is free.
Search this board for information you need.
Click here to buy cool Squarebirds mechandise.
Click here to support Squarebirds.org. For $20 annually receive 20mBytes webspace, a Squarebirds e-mail address and member's icon on the message board.
Old 10-28-2011, 06:10 PM
Slow Typist

simplyconnected is on a distinguished road

Kevin, I know your car has a starter relay with four posts. Some cars only used three posts. That means they did not bypass the ballast resistor that feeds the coil. So, is this absolutely necessary? No. It's only meant to help battery voltage drop during cranking. The truth is, your engine should start with either a resistance wire (or ballast resistor) OR a straight wire coming off the ACC side of your key sw.

Your problems run deeper. You said you have battery voltage at the coil. That's what you need.

You also said your distributor wire isn't opening/grounding with the points. Start there. With the D (primary) wire removed from the coil, put your meter on that wire, the other prod on engine GND, and set it to OHMs. Crank your engine. If the points never close (or never open) you will see no meter movement as the distributor turns. That's a problem you need to address first.

For points lubrication, I use a thin coat of Shell moly grease. This green stuff never hardens and when you pull it apart in your fingers, it 'strings' real long. That means it's moving around.

Good luck in your tests.

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
--Lee Iacocca
Old 10-29-2011, 05:48 PM
Experienced

63-4drpost is on a distinguished road
Default points

take some fine sand paper, fold it over, and put it between the contacts on the points. doesn't take much. then clean the contact faces with a folded dollar bill. Most point have been laying around for years, buid up a coating on them that will not pass current. give it a try. If you are tired of **** points, do like I am doing and convert to Duraspark 2 ignition.
Old 10-29-2011, 06:52 PM
Super-Experienced and Proud Kentuckian who bleeds Ford Blue.

Richard D. Hord is on a distinguished road

I would go with Pertronnix ignition system! I replaced "Christine's" and have had no more trouble! Keep you a GOOD set of points on habd
Richard D. Hord
Registry #33436
Old 10-29-2011, 07:18 PM
Experienced

kevin_tbird is on a distinguished road

Many thanks to redstangbob who walked me through the diagnostic procedure on the ignition wiring on the phone.

I can't tell you exactly what was wrong with the car, last night I cleaned the points and moved them back and forth several times and then went through the entire wiring one step at a time. At the end she fired right up.

I still think I have a wiring problem at the ignition switch and will check that thoroughly next week.

Kevin
Old 10-29-2011, 08:10 PM
Experienced

lawyercalif is on a distinguished road

I went with the Petronix it was easy to install and works great.
Closed Thread