This will take you to the main site where there is history, technical information and other information on these cars.
This takes you back to the main page of the forums.
This is the control panel to change your password, information and preferences on this message board.
Click here if your lost your password or need to register on this message board. You must be a registered user to post. Registration is free.
Search this board for information you need.
Click here to buy cool Squarebirds mechandise.
Click here to support Squarebirds.org. For $20 annually receive 20mBytes webspace, a Squarebirds e-mail address and member's icon on the message board.
Old 05-26-2012, 07:06 PM
Excellent Auto Mechanic for over 40 years.

jopizz is on a distinguished road

The relay you're testing should look like this I believe. From this angle the red/yellow is on the left and the orange is on the right. Looking at it from the rear of the car it's the opposite. I got this picture from Mac's. They're about $57 new.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg two wire relay.jpg (4.9 KB, 22 views)
Old 05-26-2012, 07:14 PM
Super-Experienced

dgs is on a distinguished road

BINGO!

I swapped the wiring and plugged the unlock wires into the lock relay and the symptoms reversed. So, I either didn't clean it well or there's something else wrong with it. Unless they're expensive, I think I'm going to order one just to put this to bed.

As an aside, My Grandfather's friend struck again. He had the deck lock and tray erect wiring reversed. It worked fine since they are the same relay type but it confused me because the wiring colors didn't match. I put it right. I need to check the others, sigh.
Old 05-26-2012, 07:17 PM
Super-Experienced

Ha, I missed your post. Yes, that's what I was testing.

$57 is more than I was hoping, but what can I do. I need my summer T'bird fix.

I'll check the other vendors but there usually isn't much difference.
Old 05-26-2012, 07:19 PM

I'm glad you were able to figure it out. If the relay doesn't click most likely the windings are broken. I've never had any luck repairing them. Did you clean between the bottom plate and the magnet. If it's corroded there it would cause the relay not to energize.
Old 05-26-2012, 07:21 PM

If that's more than you wanted to spend let me know. I should have one laying around that I can test and send to you if you want.
Old 05-26-2012, 07:34 PM
Super-Experienced

I did clean both places, but it's possible I didn't clean it well. It really didn't look bad in there at all. Shiny red wire and very little corrosion. It did clean up some, but there wasn't a noticeable difference.

If you've got one that's good that you'd be willing to part with, let me know what you want for it.
Old 05-26-2012, 07:45 PM

Probably $20 with shipping. If that's ok let me check and see if I have one that works. I just want to be sure it looks like the one in the picture I posted. They had a few different designs.

John
Old 05-26-2012, 08:34 PM
Super-Experienced

That's be great. I can paypal you or whatever you want.
Old 05-26-2012, 08:45 PM

I found one two wire relay. It wasn't pretty inside but I cleaned it and it works. Why don't you PM me your address and I'll send it out on Tuesday. Test it out and if it works then you can send me the money for it.

John