This will take you to the main site where there is history, technical information and other information on these cars.
This takes you back to the main page of the forums.
This is the control panel to change your password, information and preferences on this message board.
Click here if your lost your password or need to register on this message board. You must be a registered user to post. Registration is free.
Search this board for information you need.
Click here to buy cool Squarebirds mechandise.
Click here to support Squarebirds.org. For $20 annually receive 20mBytes webspace, a Squarebirds e-mail address and member's icon on the message board.
Old 10-24-2011, 08:56 PM
Super-Experienced

dgs is on a distinguished road
Default Top Won't Go Up

Well, it's the time of year when the top goes up so I can put the 'bird to bed. But, this time, the top won't go up. I push on the top switch and I get nothin' If I pull the switch I hear the screw motors run and a 'click, click, click, ...' sound. So, I know the system is getting power and the park / neutral safety switch isn't the problem (had issues there when Grandpa owned it).

I need to go find my convertible diagnostic manual and my shop manual to see what it says, but while it was on my mind I figured I'd ask you guys what to do. What do I need to check first?
Old 10-25-2011, 07:10 PM
Slow Typist

simplyconnected is on a distinguished road

Doug, I would check the Power Circuit first, then the Control Circuit.

1, The system is divided into two separate circuits, each fused separately. If you know about the relays, they can be manually energized, and you can see if the corresponding action is working. This rules out many common problems like, does the pump work, does the pump have enough hydraulic oil, etc.

2. It doesn't make sense to pass pump motor current through the small buttons, so there is a Control Circuit. You can look through the electrical diagrams to find the components (like neutral switch, up-down buttons, and limit switches).

After you determine the Power Circuit is good, continue to the Control circuit, checking for power along the way. I usually pick a function that isn't working, and trace backwards to find out why. Hope this helps. If you need specific answers, ask specific questions. I'll be glad to go over the diagrams. - Dave

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
--Lee Iacocca
Old 10-28-2011, 07:19 PM
Apprentice

davidvend is on a distinguished road

After having my top down for the summer I tried to get the top up and all I heard was click click click also. I found that one of the relays were unplugged, Main start relay. I spent alot of time checking things out and found the relay closest to the drivers side front side with the orange wire. How it ever came off is a mistery. Something to check if you have the deck lid open. - David
Old 10-30-2011, 06:25 PM
Super-Experienced

Haven't been able to dig into it yet. Decklid is down, which makes things difficult. I've had some trouble with it in the past, but jiggling things around under the dash seemed to help a bit, or maybe it just started working again. The mounting nut for the switch is stripped, so it's a bit loose on the bracket. I'm hoping it's something simple like a loose or broken wire under there. If not, I'll likely just store it top down this winter and deal with it in the spring. Getting too cold to be out in the garage.
Old 10-30-2011, 07:29 PM
Slow Typist

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgs View Post
... I've had some trouble with it in the past, but jiggling things around under the dash seemed to help a bit, or maybe it just started working again...
Looks like its about time to fix it, Doug. Some nice days are still coming after this cold snap. - Dave

--Lee Iacocca
Old 10-31-2011, 08:06 AM
Super-Experienced

Quote:
Originally Posted by simplyconnected View Post
Looks like its about time to fix it, Doug. Some nice days are still coming after this cold snap. - Dave
Yeah, but it's stuck down, perfect position for enjoying the last gasps of summer.
Old 11-01-2011, 12:30 AM
Administrator

byersmtrco is on a distinguished road

You can access the relay board thru the back seat.
Poss 3rd Gen T/B owner
Old 11-08-2011, 07:43 PM
Super-Experienced

Well, I didn't spend much time on it at all before giving up. I did discover that I'm getting a faint clunk when I push the top switch in (to put the top up). That indicates to me that the relay is getting power and is energizing, but for some reason nothing is starting to bring the deck lid up.

As I mentioned before, if I pull the switch out (which would be for putting the top down), I do get the motor to run. Now, since it's down, it shouldn't run, should it?

Anyway, I put the Sta-bil in, topped off the tank and put her away for the season with the top down. Guess I'll dig into it in the spring along with the power window switches and the heater control valve and ...
Old 11-09-2011, 01:19 AM
Slow Typist

Doug, I would like to go over this with you over the phone. Troubleshooting isn't as bad as you think. I take small steps and attack one problem at a time.

Most electrical troubleshooters quit when two things don't work because they don't know how to work on one problem at a time, or they get sidetracked. Most of your system works, and we have good diagrams with wire colors. Call me when you get ready (248) 544-8834. - Dave

--Lee Iacocca
Old 11-09-2011, 10:36 AM
Super-Experienced

Dave, that'd be great. I may give this a shot over the winter at some point. I'm much more comfortable diving into and sorting out mechanical problems than electrical.

I'll call you.