This will take you to the main site where there is history, technical information and other information on these cars.
This takes you back to the main page of the forums.
This is the control panel to change your password, information and preferences on this message board.
Click here if your lost your password or need to register on this message board. You must be a registered user to post. Registration is free.
Search this board for information you need.
Click here to buy cool Squarebirds mechandise.
Click here to support Squarebirds.org. For $20 annually receive 20mBytes webspace, a Squarebirds e-mail address and member's icon on the message board.
Old 10-08-2011, 10:13 PM
Experienced

Astrowing is on a distinguished road
Default Front brake drum hub removal

Is the hub pressed into the drum? If one is going to replace the front drum, the old hub needs to be transferred to the new drum. I don't see the procedure detailed in the Ford manual and I've never taken one apart.

CLICK HERE for Jim's web site
Old 10-09-2011, 08:50 AM
Super-Experienced and Proud Kentuckian who bleeds Ford Blue.

Richard D. Hord is on a distinguished road

Hey James,
Ok, you have the tire off. You see the brake drum and the center hub. Remove cotter pin. Remove hub nut. Now brake shoes may be tight against drum. There is a small hole in the back of dust shield, may still have rubber piece in it! Remove rubber piece. Insert flat head screwdriver and move adjustment. One way tightens the other way loosens! May have to GENTLY peck edge of drum to break it loose. DO HIT IT TO HARD IT MAY SHATTER! Remove drum to get to brakes!
Dave (simplyconnected) may have more to add, he has dealt with these more than I The picture below you can see the adjustment in the center at the bottom!
Richard D. Hord

Hey Dave, I borrowed a post from you
I use heat. In the 'old' days, I would smack the drum it with a big hammer. That distorted the drum.

A propane torch will work. Remember, your brakes are designed for elevated heat. Heat the drum between the studs and tap it with a hammer (between the studs) to loosten the rust-bond. The drum should not 'center' on the studs. In fact, the studs should not touch the drum because the drum is centered on the hub. - Dave
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN4227.jpg (135.5 KB, 209 views)
Registry #33436
Old 10-09-2011, 05:25 PM
Experienced

Thanks, Richard. So nothing is really holding the hub to the drum other than 50 years worth of rust?

Old 10-09-2011, 06:03 PM
Super-Experienced and Proud Kentuckian who bleeds Ford Blue.

Richard D. Hord is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astrowing View Post
Thanks, Richard. So nothing is really holding the hub to the drum other than 50 years worth of rust?
Or brake shoes, that are tight or cut into drum!
Richard D. Hord
Registry #33436
Old 10-09-2011, 07:55 PM
Experienced

lawyercalif is on a distinguished road

I may be wrong, but I think he already has the drum and hub assembly off the car and wants to know how to remove the drum from the hub so he can install a new drum to the old hub.

When I did my brakes I took the whole hub and drum assembly in intact. They were able to turn them without taking the hub off the drum, so I do not know how hard they are to get off.
Old 10-09-2011, 09:40 PM
Excellent Auto Mechanic for over 40 years.

jopizz is on a distinguished road

The last one I couldn't get apart I took to the service station up the street. He hit the studs with an air punch a few times and it dropped right out.
Old 10-10-2011, 09:48 AM
Experienced

Yes, I was inquiring about separating the hub from the drum once it is removed from the car. I've taken drums front and rear off many cars over the years, but have never actually separated the hub from the drum. Thanks!

Old 10-18-2011, 05:25 AM

Dream Weaver is on a distinguished road

Hi all jumping in sort of late just wanted to let you all know how I got the drums off my 60. I removed the entire assembly and used a large "C" clamp to apply pressure to the hub on my bench then persuaded the hub out with a little heat and a hammer. I was a little nervous about warping the drum but I believe that this was avoided.
Old 11-13-2011, 04:30 PM
Experienced

How did you use the C-clamp to get to the hub and how large is the C-clamp? I tried several of the suggested methods this weekend with no joy including a propane torch, PB blaster, and tapping on the drum between the studs. I didn't have a method to add pressure to help persuade the parts to part. This drum looks like it is "welded" to the hub, especially around the center hole.

Old 11-13-2011, 10:45 PM
Experienced

According to the vintage Mustang Forum, the hubs are swagged onto the original drums so it takes a hydraulic press to get them apart. After they have been replaced, it is not a problem to get replacements apart according to this info.