This will take you to the main site where there is history, technical information and other information on these cars.
This takes you back to the main page of the forums.
This is the control panel to change your password, information and preferences on this message board.
Click here if your lost your password or need to register on this message board. You must be a registered user to post. Registration is free.
Search this board for information you need.
Click here to buy cool Squarebirds mechandise.
Click here to support Squarebirds.org. For $20 annually receive 20mBytes webspace, a Squarebirds e-mail address and member's icon on the message board.
Old 10-05-2011, 06:38 PM
Super-Experienced

tbirds8 is on a distinguished road

I put mine down with a jumper box then figured out it was a bad window relay
Old 10-05-2011, 07:10 PM
Slow Typist

simplyconnected is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbirds8 View Post
I put mine down with a jumper box then figured out it was a bad window relay
What relay... These switches don't use a relay.

Ford wound the two Field windings in opposite directions. One for UP, the other for DOWN. Let's say the driver is switching the window UP while a kid in the back seat was pushing a different switch to bring it down. What would happen?

Both UP & DOWN Fields would both be energized. Since they are wound in opposite directions, the opposite Field magnetisms they produce would negate each other and the Armature wouldn't move.

That also means, if you put +12 on ALL the switch wires at the same time, both Field windings would energize but the Armature wouldn't move. It's not a 'short to ground' and no overcurrent device will trip, but the motor still won't turn.

So, yes. You can jump from +12 (center lug) to the Armature lug AND one of the Fields. The motor should move in a direction. Or, jumper Field wire on the other side of the switch and the motor will move in the opposite direction. That's normally how I troubleshoot a window motor, to prove it works. - Dave

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
--Lee Iacocca
Old 10-05-2011, 07:57 PM
Super-Experienced

tbirds8 is on a distinguished road

Power window relay sorry i get confused
Old 10-05-2011, 08:50 PM
Slow Typist

simplyconnected is on a distinguished road

Bill Newman makes a good point; if you don't find power at the switch's center lug, check the 30-amp circuit breaker and the relay that feeds it.

Ford didn't run window power off the dash, they took it off the starter relay's battery post which feeds a separate window relay. When the ignition key is ON, the Window Relay energizes, feeding the 30-amp breaker. This system isolates the window power from all the other wiring. So, there's no need to look for blown fuses under the dash, there are none. - Dave

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
--Lee Iacocca
Old 10-06-2011, 12:49 PM
Apprentice

davidvend is on a distinguished road

Having just sold a set of window switches for a 60 bird I believe the difference in part #'s is the switch levers are different because the top of the plastic have a small angle to them and the higher side go to the center of the cluster and taper down to the outside of the cluster. (I should have taken a closeup picture so you can see the angle on each switch)
Old 10-06-2011, 12:53 PM
Super-Experienced

tbird430 is on a distinguished road
That said, you can take a switch apart! Just remove the center screw (on the back side) and flip the switch lever around. Then screw the lever back to the lower housing...

The 1960 Ford Thunderbird. The WORLD'S most wanted car....

VTCI Member#6287.
Old 10-06-2011, 11:57 PM
Super-Experienced

dgs is on a distinguished road

Well, I got the two rear windows down, but not the fronts. I get a spark and noise from the windows, but no movement.

It's hard to tell which wires to jump. The diagram in the shop manual shows the wire colors at the window motor and the colors at the switches, but it doesn't show what color connects to what (they are different). I just noticed that the diagram linked above seems to be more clear, I may give it another go tomorrow.